ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Minimum the government say a family of 5 should live on?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

returntotheuk
Ireland

Minimum the government say a family of 5 should live on?

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:35 pm

I am in the process of working out how much savings my family need to live on for a year after I take off accommodation, council tax and utility bills.

Can anyone tell me what is the minimum amount that the UK government say a family of 2 adults and 3 young children should live on per week after the above has been taken off?

Also is a year worth of savings enough if neither of us have jobs to go to? Would the ECO accept that?

I am sure I should find a job within a year.

Thanks

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:36 pm

Hi folks,

I have just found out on another thread that to pass the financial test you must have 102 pounds for 2 adults and 57.57 pounds for every child after rent, council tax and utility bills are paid? This means we would need 275 quid or 1200 quid a month to pass the financial test?

This is way more than we would spend! I have used a monthly expenditure list similar to my sister who has 4 kids and she spends a lot less then this.

However, if the ECO is looking for 1200 quid a month then how many months would they expect us to have in savings?

If we do an expenditure list to show we would not spend anywhere near this much do they still say we need to have the 1200 quid a month?

Surely this can not be the minimum a family of 5 is expected to live on???

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:44 pm

the amount required is not after utility bills are paid. it is after rent and council tax are paid.

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:55 pm

Greenie wrote:the amount required is not after utility bills are paid. it is after rent and council tax are paid.
Thanks Greenie, I thought it sounded a lot.

Any advice about the monthly expenses for the ECO or do we still need 1200 quid a month? Our expenses only come 850 quid with utility bills.

Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

the amount is based on income support rates which is the minimum amount a family is expected to live on.

How long have you been outside the UK for? cost of living has genuinely increased over the last few years. You need to factor in not only weekly/monthly costs such as monthly bills such as gas/elect/water as well as but also things that you may not necessarily pay for every month but are spread out over the year, for example things like clothing, toys/books etc for children, travel expenses, car maintenance, tax MOT etc, petrol, dentist treatment, days out, furniture, house maintenance, entertainment, broadband, contents insurance etc etc

Don't forget also that the ECO is not just looking for the c. 1200 a month you also need to have the amount for rent, and council tax also. Do you know how much this will be?

You do need to be realistic about all of these costs and yes the case law says that it would not be desirable for a family to be living in the UK on an income below income support levels hence why this is the amount you are generally required to have.

However I am not clear on something - who are you applying for the visa for? Is it just your spouse or your children also? Are your children British? If so then you can rely on the fact that you can claim benefits after you return to the UK as if your children are British there is no need for you to show that their arrival in the UK will not course you to have additional recourse to public funds.

Have you started looking for work? What is your employment background? What about your spouse? Do you know the area you are going to be moving to and what sort of work is available there?

Have you considered moving to the UK first to set things up and then your family joining you later?

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:38 am

Greenie wrote:the amount is based on income support rates which is the minimum amount a family is expected to live on.

How long have you been outside the UK for? cost of living has genuinely increased over the last few years. You need to factor in not only weekly/monthly costs such as monthly bills such as gas/elect/water as well as but also things that you may not necessarily pay for every month but are spread out over the year, for example things like clothing, toys/books etc for children, travel expenses, car maintenance, tax MOT etc, petrol, dentist treatment, days out, furniture, house maintenance, entertainment, broadband, contents insurance etc etc

Don't forget also that the ECO is not just looking for the c. 1200 a month you also need to have the amount for rent, and council tax also. Do you know how much this will be?

You do need to be realistic about all of these costs and yes the case law says that it would not be desirable for a family to be living in the UK on an income below income support levels hence why this is the amount you are generally required to have.

However I am not clear on something - who are you applying for the visa for? Is it just your spouse or your children also? Are your children British? If so then you can rely on the fact that you can claim benefits after you return to the UK as if your children are British there is no need for you to show that their arrival in the UK will not course you to have additional recourse to public funds.

Have you started looking for work? What is your employment background? What about your spouse? Do you know the area you are going to be moving to and what sort of work is available there?

Have you considered moving to the UK first to set things up and then your family joining you later?
Hi Greenie, thanks I really appreciate your advice.

I have been out of the UK for 7 years. I know food costs have gone up slightly, however the costs here in Cambodia are much more expensive when buying similar food, which we do and we spend 400 quid a month. I compared prices on Asda.com. I have most of the costs above but need to add few I have missed.

I have included the council tax which is 150 quid for our area. We have 2 options of accommodation, one is to live in my Mams house and the other to live in my brothers flat (which is actually empty) as he is living in Singapore and wants me to care of his home in return for free accommodation (temporarily up to 1 year).

I think I am been realistic about costs, trouble is most British people spend beyond their means. Surely, I can not rely on the fact that I can claim benefits for the children in my wife's application at least not to the ECO?

I am only applying for my wife, we have been married for over 6 years. Our children have British citizenship.

I have started looking for jobs, we have no problem moving to most parts of Britain for me to to get job. I have 10 years retail management experience and 7 years hotel management experience. My wife will be a house wife (she has 3 kids to see).

I have considered moving back to the UK first but I think it will just cost a lot more money and could take a few months if not more. I can not leave my young family that long.

Anyway, even it I need to have 1200 quid a month after rent and council tax then I will easily have that for 6 months. However, what need to know is how long does the ECO expect you to have enough money for you last? My work experience should hold me in a good position?

Thanks again

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:00 am

you are entitled to claim the benefits that you are entitled including those for your children and these form a legitimate part of your income. However it is always harder to show this when you are not actually in the UK and claiming those benefits yet.

Cost of living in the UK is high and I think if you have been oustide the UK for 7 years you will be surprised as to how much it has increased. It is not just food but gas, electricity, clothing, etc that have all increased significantly recently. Also bear in mind the VAT rise to 20%.

That said - how much do you have in savings?

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 am

Greenie wrote:you are entitled to claim the benefits that you are entitled including those for your children and these form a legitimate part of your income. However it is always harder to show this when you are not actually in the UK and claiming those benefits yet.

Cost of living in the UK is high and I think if you have been oustide the UK for 7 years you will be surprised as to how much it has increased. It is not just food but gas, electricity, clothing, etc that have all increased significantly recently. Also bear in mind the VAT rise to 20%.

That said - how much do you have in savings?
Thanks.

I expect to be paying around 120 quid for electric and gas a month, does this sound about right? I know you mention clothing but we will be buying a lot before we leave here which will last us a year.

We will have around 8k to 12k in savings but maybe more as we have assets to sell off.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:20 am

£120 per month for gas and elec is probably fine.

with 12k in savings you should be fine especially if you are not paying rent initially. How many rooms does your mother have for you and your family to sleep in and how about your brother's flat?

Make sure you do some research regarding work and print out job ads for example in your profession in your area.

returntotheuk
Ireland

Post by returntotheuk » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:30 am

Greenie wrote:£120 per month for gas and elec is probably fine.

with 12k in savings you should be fine especially if you are not paying rent initially. How many rooms does your mother have for you and your family to sleep in and how about your brother's flat?

Make sure you do some research regarding work and print out job ads for example in your profession in your area.
I should have 12k but now I have around 8k to 9k. If I only had 8k would you say it was not enough?

My mam's house has 3 bedrooms, 1 living room and 1 dining room all well over 50 square feet. My brothers flat has 2 bedrooms and a living room all over 50 square feet.

Good idea about printing out job ads. I will do that.

Thanks

namin
Newly Registered

Post by namin » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:30 pm

Hi

Sorry to butt in .. but is it necessary to have that 1200 pounds per month accumulated in savings, or is it ok to show that you are employed and make enough money to cover the amount?

My partner and I make enough to cover our current rent + council tax + utilities with enough extra left over, but being a fairly young couple we do not have any savings. Furthermore, he is self employed so doesn't have any payslips, just payments coming into his account. Do you think it would be enough to show his bank statements and my payslips to prove we can maintain ourselves financially?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm

returntotheuk wrote:
Greenie wrote:£120 per month for gas and elec is probably fine.

I should have 12k but now I have around 8k to 9k. If I only had 8k would you say it was not enough?

My mam's house has 3 bedrooms, 1 living room and 1 dining room all well over 50 square feet. My brothers flat has 2 bedrooms and a living room all over 50 square feet.

Good idea about printing out job ads. I will do that.

Thanks
It is very hard to say whether 8k would be enough without seeing all papers in context. It might be, it might not be. Considering you are not going to be paying rent and bills then hopefully it should be, but securing a job should be your first priority and as you might have gathered the economy is not that hot here at the moment. Have you considered coming here even for a couple of weeks to look for work?