ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Settlement Requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

papa
Newly Registered

Settlement Requirements

Post by papa » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:58 pm

Hello,

I am asking your opinions to the likelihood of success of my husbands applicaton for settlement, submitted in Islamabad Dec 29 2005. We were married in Pakistan in November and I returned to the UK in mid December.

Documents submitted by husband:
Passport
Marriage certificate etc.
Educational certificates (studying for degree) + letter from college.
Job offer from UK as accounts assistant.
Please note no savings and currently about to finish his degree.

Documents submitted by me:
Passport (certified copies)
Birth certificate (certified)
Educational certificates (AS levels + Islamic Theology qualification).
Letter from college.
Letter from solicitor showing ownership of house (free of mortgage).
Please note no savings but have a house, currently let, the income pooled into family finances.

Documents from my father (whose house I am currently living in):
Passport (certified copies)
Birth certificate (certified)
Letter from employer, bank statements, wage slips, P60, document showing surplus after expenditures: income gross 60,000GBP per annum, savings 13,000GBP
Letter from solicitor showing ownership of house (free of mortgage).
Letter from council saying house will not be overcrowded when my husband arrives.

We have said that initially we will live with my father and then move to my property. My father has also written a letter saying we can stay and that he will financially support us.

My main worry is that I and my husband cannot show any savings of our own, and that we married shortly after my studies. I did say that I would be looking for employment on my return to the UK.

What are the chances of success from your experience?

I will keep you posted on any developments. It has been 14 weeks; I have e-mailed the embassy and they say that the delay is due to the large no. of applications!

Thanks for your help.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:19 am

Given the information you give about the additional sponsor, your father, I would say that there is a good chance the application will succeed.
......... we married shortly after my studies.
That should not be a concern at all. There is certainly not a requirement for the marriage to have existed for any length of time before a visa can be granted. (My own wife's spouse visa was granted just 17 days after the legal marriage and just 12 days after our big religious wedding.)
John

papa
Newly Registered

Post by papa » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:55 pm

I believe from my understanding of the rules that I meet the criteria on marriage and accomodation.

Regarding maintenance, I think that the ECO is more concerned that the applicant should not be claiming oublic funds. As my husband has qualifications and a firm job offer (letter from accounts firm), might it not matter that I was unemployed when the application was made.

As regards my fathers support, I have read somewhere that the ECO may consider this if it is only to be for a short period.

I am weighing up my options, in case, God forbid, the application is refused. What might be my course then?

Thanks for your comments

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:16 pm

What is the status of the organisation offering your spouse the accounts position i.e. is it a small family run organisation or a large corporate institution and if the former are there substantive documentation pertainig to their viability e.g. VAT registration, tax returns etc. The Visa Officer may deem the offer as not bona fide subject to who its from and dismiss it in its entirety. Other than this I see no other issues though I would recommend your father gift you an appropriate level of funding. This is simply a note to the effect that he is giving you the funds as a gift hence it is not repayable as borrowed funding. Such should ideally be notarised by a solicitor for a reasonable fee. Forward these documentation to your spouse who should then pass it on to the BHC.

papa
Newly Registered

Post by papa » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:40 pm

According to the embassy I should have a decision in the next few days.

The letter of employment for my husband was from a small firm of accountants. The letter-head clearly showed the firm to be registered (company no.) and also registered with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants.

My father signed under oath a sponsorship declaration for accomodation and maintenence.

I hope this will be satisfactory; what do you think?

Time is too short for anything else now. Thanks for your help.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:44 pm

Based on the details you provide then a visa is likely to be granted.

papa
Newly Registered

Post by papa » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:26 pm

Great news!

Entry clearance granted. Thanks for all your help and support.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:41 pm

Papa, great news! Congratulations to you and your husband.

Have a long and happy life together in the UK.
John