ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Student visit then EEA?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Student visit then EEA?

Post by CondorVilla » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,

I'm Polish, my boyfriend is Chilean, and we're looking to move to the UK in a few months. Marriage is something that we have talked about but it's not 100%, more than anything I want him to get a sense of living in Europe before making that commitment.

As a Chilean he can enter the UK to study English (something he wants to do) for 6 months or less without a visa. If he does this and we decide to get married after 5-6 months, will we be suspicious and/or likely to get rejected for an EEA?

We're not trying to do things illegally, this just seems like it makes the most sense, but I don't know if it will negatively affect us if we do decide to get married later?

Thanks for any help!

kabuki
United States of America

Re: Student visit then EEA?

Post by kabuki » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:34 pm

CondorVilla wrote:Hi,

I'm Polish, my boyfriend is Chilean, and we're looking to move to the UK in a few months. Marriage is something that we have talked about but it's not 100%, more than anything I want him to get a sense of living in Europe before making that commitment.

As a Chilean he can enter the UK to study English (something he wants to do) for 6 months or less without a visa. If he does this and we decide to get married after 5-6 months, will we be suspicious and/or likely to get rejected for an EEA?

We're not trying to do things illegally, this just seems like it makes the most sense, but I don't know if it will negatively affect us if we do decide to get married later?

Thanks for any help!
The only reason an EEA residence card can be denied is if the marriage is believed to be a sham. I would suggesting making a record of your relationship so far to prove that your relationship existed before he came to study in the UK.

If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been together? How did you meet? Where did you meet? Have you resided together at all?

I'm now on an EEA RC. My journey started by finding ways to remain in Ireland with my Dutch partner. I went from a work and travel visa to a Trainee Accountant visa and then eventually the EU RC in Ireland before moving to the UK. We are an unmarried couple but were able to prove we were living together for 2 years.

In the end, 6 months here is better than nothing. At least you'll know if he is able to adapt.

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Re: Student visit then EEA?

Post by CondorVilla » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:10 pm

kabuki wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been together? How did you meet? Where did you meet? Have you resided together at all?
Of course, not at all. We have been together 8 months, we met because I work with his brother and he introduced us and the entire duration of our relationship we have been living (not together but in the same city) in Peru.
In the end, 6 months here is better than nothing. At least you'll know if he is able to adapt.
Exactly, that is what I want to find out. I have had friends who got married and later found their spouse couldn't adapt - love should conquer all but sometimes I guess it doesn't and I'd rather not be in that situation.

Do you know if he would need to go back to Chile or Peru (he's a dual citizen) to file for the EEA or could he go to Poland and stay with my family and do it from there?[/quote]

CondorVilla
Newly Registered

Post by CondorVilla » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 am

bumping to see if anyone else has an opinion?