ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Post Study Work visa holder to Tier1 Dependent

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ani_UK
Newly Registered

Post Study Work visa holder to Tier1 Dependent

Post by Ani_UK » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:01 pm

Hi,

I hold Tier 1 (General) visa which due for extension in Jun 2012. My wife is presently in the UK under Post Study Work (PSW) visa. Her visa expires in Dec 2011. We would like to extend her stay in the UK by applying for her as my dependent. I've seen few blog posts stating that she would need to go back to the home country (India) and apply as a dependent from there. I'm not sure if this is required as she is already in the UK under a valid visa. So my understanding was she could apply as a dependent from the UK iteslf, without any need to visit the home country.

I cannot find any clear rule arond this on Home Office's website. Any advice would be of great help.

Thanks

A

[iD]

Re: Post Study Work visa holder to Tier1 Dependent

Post by [iD] » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:14 pm

Ani_UK wrote:Hi,

I hold Tier 1 (General) visa which due for extension in Jun 2012. My wife is presently in the UK under Post Study Work (PSW) visa. Her visa expires in Dec 2011. We would like to extend her stay in the UK by applying for her as my dependent. I've seen few blog posts stating that she would need to go back to the home country (India) and apply as a dependent from there. I'm not sure if this is required as she is already in the UK under a valid visa. So my understanding was she could apply as a dependent from the UK iteslf, without any need to visit the home country.

I cannot find any clear rule arond this on Home Office's website. Any advice would be of great help.

Thanks

A
Please read Switching in to the dependant route
Goodluck.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:11 am

Ani_UK wrote:I cannot find any clear rule arond this on Home Office's website. Any advice would be of great help.
319C(h)
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Ani_UK
Newly Registered

Post by Ani_UK » Mon May 02, 2011 6:32 pm

[iD] wrote:
Ani_UK wrote:Hi,

Thanks

A
Please read Switching in to the dependant route
Hi iD,

Thanks for posting the link.

I've gone through the link and I'm still not sure if my wife needs to go back India to apply as my dependent. Sincere apologies as I forgot to mention in my post at first place that we recently got married and her last entry in the UK was on her PSW visa and not as my wife.

The paragraph from the link you provided specifically states 'one can apply for permission to stay here as the dependant of a highly skilled worker without having to leave the United Kingdom and apply for entry clearance if his/her last grant of entry clearance or permission to stay here was as the partner or child of:
an innovator;
a participant in the Fresh Talent: Working in Scotland Scheme;
a participant in the International Graduates Scheme (or the previous Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme);
a postgraduate doctor or dentist,
a student;
a student nurse;
a student re-sitting an examination;
a student writing up a thesis; or
a work permit holder.
'

In my wife's case, her last grant of entry clearance or permission to stay here was not as the partner of the categories mentioned above. Does it mean for her to apply as my dependent she will need to apply from India?

I really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks
A

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Ani_UK wrote:Does it mean for her to apply as my dependent she will need to apply from India?
Yes.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!