ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Autocad job market

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Bearuk
BANNED

Autocad job market

Post by Bearuk » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi guys

I am Civi Engineering Bacherlor in Vietnam and got Master degree in UK. I got some skills in AUTOCAD Drawing. Now i am gonna plan to get AUTOCAD job in UK.

Is there anyone know about Autocad job market in UK ? Is it easy to get that job ?

I am also gonnna plan to get Autocad certificate in UK to get more opportunities.

Can you guys give me some advices ? Highly appreciate that.

Idea

Post by Idea » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:03 pm

It’s a bit strange to find someone with a Masters looking for 'AutoCAD job'.

AutoCAD is a drafting tool used In many industries in many disciplines. and its mainly for people with HNC, HND experience in
in the uk. It would be rare to find a engineering degree holder working as mainly a autocad drafter.

let us know the field of your work experience (if you have any). an autocad certificate cannot get you a job which your masters cannot.

Bearuk
BANNED

Post by Bearuk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Thank you very much for your reply.

I got Master in Engineering Project Management in UK ( University of Leeds).
Unfortunately, I do not hold any working experience. I still want to work in Project Management or Civil Engineer Area but with lack of experience and my Bachelor is not in UK, I am scared that I can not get those jobs.

So that I think ( but not sure ) it is easier to get the job like AUTOCAD draughtsman first because I think not many people want to do that job and Asian people are more skilful in that subjects than Western people. Therefore, I think there is more opportunities. But I am not sure how many percent chances for me in this route ?

I am still applying the Civil Engineer or Project Management jobs but want to get any jobs first to settle ( maybe it's necessary for extend my PSW in 2 years more) and then move back to my favourite area.

What do you think about my case ?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm

Need to keep in mind that moving away into a role not related to your Masters can be detrimental to future prospects.
While I have no clue about Autocad, pretty sure there are very few high paying roles in this field for reasons mentioned by previous poster.

What you should be aiming for is Junior or Assistant PM roles - there are a lots of these around and is your best option for the future and your career growth.

KP

SSEF

Post by SSEF » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:49 am

Bearuk wrote:Thank you very much for your reply.

I got Master in Engineering Project Management in UK ( University of Leeds).
Unfortunately, I do not hold any working experience. I still want to work in Project Management or Civil Engineer Area but with lack of experience and my Bachelor is not in UK, I am scared that I can not get those jobs.

So that I think ( but not sure ) it is easier to get the job like AUTOCAD draughtsman first because I think not many people want to do that job and Asian people are more skilful in that subjects than Western people. Therefore, I think there is more opportunities. But I am not sure how many percent chances for me in this route ?

I am still applying the Civil Engineer or Project Management jobs but want to get any jobs first to settle ( maybe it's necessary for extend my PSW in 2 years more) and then move back to my favourite area.

What do you think about my case ?
You hold no experience, therefore your chances are pretty low where PM jobs are concerned - also AUTOCAD market is competitive filled with Europeans not only English people competing for the same jobs (market is tough in the UK at the moment and will be for the foreseeable future), and as for your comment about Europeans being lazy, you made me laugh, I have a friend who is Malaysian and has 3.5 years experience as a grad with a top engineering comany and she did a week in our office in Malaysia and hated it because she said asians are lazy and dont have thes same concept of team work as we do in the UK.

You should look at the infrastructure in Asian countries and then look at the infrastructure in European countries and have a long hard think why European countries are better - it certainly isnt because we are low skilled and lazy!!!

By the way Ive got 11 years Engineering experience and in all that time Ive always worked with English / Polish AUTOCAD guys who are excellent and work long hours when the projects dictate this.

Not sure who told you that we dont want the AUTOCAD jobs, but they misinformed you. Actually I have a friend who has just gone to Vietnam on a 12 month secondment - must because they couldnt find an Engineer good enough out there to do the job!!!

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:13 pm

SSEF wrote: Ive always worked with English / Polish AUTOCAD guys who are excellent and work long hours when the projects dictate this.
I missed the initial subjective and crude remark by the OP, must say Bearuk, you are off the mark a lot when it comes to this specific line of work.

Agree with SSEF 100% because I lived in the Middle East for about 20 years and the top notch jobs with the mega bucks were made by Polish and English workers for their insane skills in Autocad and related technologies......my folks had a lot of English and Polish colleagues and it was nice to see how much they worked to get the job done...

Asians are good yes, but not in every field - we might have the skills in IT but if you only look at efficiency levels, Asians a re far behind Europeans...also always remember that offshoring only came about because it was the 'Cheaper' option and not because the offshore countries were the 'Smarter' option :-)
And its only because of the West involving the other side, that today, many of us including me, have the chance to be out here and lead a wonderful life!

KP

Idea

Post by Idea » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:21 pm

Bearuk

In addtion to the points in other posts...

while I appreciate your flexibility to start from a role lower to your qualifications, i feel you have to change your mindset in approaching the jobs you're looking for. Its like someone saying i'm looking for an excel job or SAP job.

For drafting jobs your functional knowledge/experience is more important than the drafting tool. I have come across people with experience in say piping design, or building services design are offered jobs even when their drafting package experience is totally different - so the emphasis is what you can draft more than how good you are as an autocad operator

for your situation graduate engineer role is a more appropriate position to look for. as you'll need to be trained for a drafting role before you can start to contribute...while there are loads of experienced drafters looking for work.

mgsBoy86

Post by mgsBoy86 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:18 pm

I would like to post my experience of the AutoCAD/draftsman aspect of the civil egineering sector (I am a graduate civil engineer working for a design consultancy in the wtaer and waste water sector).

Most of the draftsmen I have encountered have at least 10 years experience in the civil engineering sector? Why? When they receive sketches of the designs they are to draft in AutoCAD, they, in addition to the senior engineers, have to ensure the buildability of the structure. If they spot a problem, they will come back to the designer and clarify the choice of design.

The AutoCAD sector is competitive, but it is also an incredibly difficult job. Hence the reason why experienced engineers are preferred for the roles.

I have only encountered ONE young AutoCAD technician, and he was on a university programme at the same time as undertaking his job/employment.

Your best route is to obtain as much experience in the civil engineering sector as possible via a graduate programme, because do not forget that you have to undertake your route to chartership with the ICE at the same time. There are lots of graduate vacancies. Gradcracker.com is an excellent website to check graduate civil engineering vacancies. If you have previous experience, whether here in the UK or abroad, it counts in your favour.

Most importantly, do not give up. You will most likely go through several interviews with several companies before securing a job. Just don;t give up hope.

If you ould like any moe information, reply in this thread or drop me a pm.

Best of luck for the future.

Bearuk
BANNED

Post by Bearuk » Mon May 16, 2011 2:50 pm

i can not speak how much i am grateful for all your opinion. It makes me clearer about the career route i should go.
I will try my best and will no give up.
Thanks so much you all.

sureshep

Post by sureshep » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:39 pm

Hi,

My friend is working in the same area. This question is on behalf of him :

Are there any Certifications available in the market with regards to CAD/CAM GIS or ARCGIS based job profiles ? He has over 4+ years of experience in this technology.

How to secure a offer with above job profiles. Idea is to get an interview call and make a successful application. Problem is that - he is not getting a single opportunity to attend the interview.

Any pointers would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

sureshep

Post by sureshep » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:42 pm

Hi experts,

Please share your experiences. How'z is the current job situation for Auto cad/cam ArcGIS ?

Anybody whoever working in similar job profile.....can share your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Suresh