ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

offer letter confusion:(

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

faru22
BANNED

offer letter confusion:(

Post by faru22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:32 pm

hey guys,
i have got a permanent job yesterday ,but waiting for the offer letter i have few doubts:

1)whts the time limit to get an offer letter,my consultant said i will get it next week?
2)the consultant said that my joining date is 23rd may which is almost a month from nw ,and he told me to remove my CV from all the job sites since i m comitted to this company.
3)i had a face to face interview with my employer and thus got the job ,but i did nt have direct talk with my employer after the interview,my consultant informed me abt the news and sent me joining mails ,and told me to wait for the offer letter.is this normaL?

m soo confused....
plzzz advice senoirs??

light_tunnel

Post by light_tunnel » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:44 pm

1)whts the time limit to get an offer letter,my consultant said i will get it next week?
Well it varies from organization to organization can take a couple of days to weeks together

2)the consultant said that my joining date is 23rd may which is almost a month from nw ,and he told me to remove my CV from all the job sites since i m comitted to this company.
This is normal since they don't you to take this offer and look out for something better with this

3)i had a face to face interview with my employer and thus got the job ,but i did nt have direct talk with my employer after the interview,my consultant informed me abt the news and sent me joining mails ,and told me to wait for the offer letter.is this normaL?
All communication happens via the agent. There is little or no communication directly with the employer and this is normal.

faru22
BANNED

Post by faru22 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:47 pm

thanx alot light tunnel,m quite relieved now:).

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 pm

So a few things you need to be clear of at the outset
1. Consultants do usually manage the entire process until the point you get the offer letter. After that, you will have official contact points within the company
2. Companies do tend to send all correspondence via the Consultant but in the end, once you accept the offer, they interact directly with you

Now here is what you must be on top of
1. Did you agree for the start date? This should have been discussed with you during the meeting. Start date is NOT written in stone until you sign the contract which also mentions start date. You have all the right to negotiate the actual start date before signing the paper
2. Consultants do not give you the entire picture....for example, Company offers upto £60k, agent gets higher commission if they get a guy as low as possible, agent tells you max you can get is only £50k - and thats how they make their commission.
3. Do not say yes blindly to the agent without seeing anything in writing from the company itself especially start dates, final compensation, benefits etc - this is for you to agree to and not the agent to decide on their own
4. The process works both ways - company puts an offer, you negotiate with a counteroffer, then they come back with a revised offer or some compensation, then you confirm or counter again - all this is important and if you dont get involved, the Consultant will just agree to everything that favours the company just so they get the best commission possible

Finally, actual contract should come within a week after you agree so if he says it will come in a few weeks means something else is going on. Maybe they are still looking and you are just the backup which is not right. If you have agreed to all their terms then you should have the contract in your inbox by now....and if not, then you must be proactive and demand for it

Best of luck
KP

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:05 pm

light_tunnel wrote:1)whts the time limit to get an offer letter,my consultant said i will get it next week?
Well it varies from organization to organization can take a couple of days to weeks together

This is normal since they don't you to take this offer and look out for something better with this
1 - yes this is true, but the agent cannot COMMIT to a start date without the company agreeing to a start date. So if the company and agent agreed, where was the candidate's say in all this? No agent can dictate the start date to you UNLESS to told them upfront you can start on a certain date

2 - You do not need to remove your CV from any website. Legally, till the day you enter the doors of your new employer you can do anything you want. Contract is not legally binding till you actually start working for them. Of course, if you accept the offer and reject few days before you start that company may never hire you in the future - but I repeat, LEGALLY, you have the right to and, in my opinion, should continue to look for better options if you want to and feel like. Everyone does that so your agent is actually trying to protect his own interests and his commission, nothing more

3. This is the UK and there are laws protecting everyone. Just like companies these days have 3 or 6 months probation during which they can fire you with 1 weeks notice, the very same way you can keep your CV on all job sites and search for roles - both, before and while, working for them. Its very common for local residents here to talk about hunting for better roles - thats how it works here as laws protect everyone and you wont be fired just because your CV is on a jobsite

KP