ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

documents returned,passports seized eea family permit

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

blessedone
Newly Registered

documents returned,passports seized eea family permit

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 5:53 pm

i am a non eu man married to a portugese woman,i submited my eea2 application in jan and it was retured in march because my wife already reported her portguese passport lost/stolen but we saw the passport and we used it for application.the home office got in contact with the portugese embassy or sumthing and found out that it was reported lost/stolen. they sezied my Nigerian passport and also her portugese passport. my wife went to portugal and she did a new passport last week but i am wondering what to do since the home office seied my nigerian passport,i dont know what they would have done with my passport,they returned other documents but kept both of our passports.i have plans of reapplying since my wife got new passport now but i need my passport to apply,i dont know if thi will be a new application or if they will continue from the old and denied application,they denied the pervious one and returned the documents but seized our passports...

thanks

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Sun May 01, 2011 6:32 pm

Why in the hell you would apply with a document lost/stolen? Well, if it was lost or stolen you wouldn't have this with you in the first place!
Home Office is correct to further investigate this as this looks completely dodgy!

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 7:57 pm

Glauco wrote:Why in the hell you would apply with a document lost/stolen? Well, if it was lost or stolen you wouldn't have this with you in the first place!
Home Office is correct to further investigate this as this looks completely dodgy!

we forgot to inform them that we found the passport before we submitted the application,the question is now,he has gotten new passport,what are we suppoed to do now?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun May 01, 2011 8:48 pm

I assume your wife is working.

I would submit a new application. You will need to send in her ID card OR her passport. You should include a cover letter explaining that you have previously submitted an application and that the passport was not returned when the previous application was rejected. Include a photocopy of the rejection letter and mention it in the cover letter.

Basically you should think of it as they have the passport already, so you need to refer to it but do not have to send it again.

If you need your passport or wife's ID back immediately, you can also ask for that in your cover letter. If you want your wife's OLD passport back, you could certainly consider asking for that too..

And please, next time, if you report something lost then do not try to use it when you find it. :lol:

koded

Post by koded » Sun May 01, 2011 8:57 pm

I think both of you are making things more difficult and suspicious. If your wife’s passport was retained by HO why would she go ahead to do a new passport when she her passport is still with HO.
Also, she should have informed her embassy when she found her passport before you lodged your application.
Of course, you can reapply for RC and inform them that your passport is with them and that your wife has obtained a new passport. But you must be very lucky for home office to process your application without going through difficulties with them.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm

koded wrote:I think both of you are making things more difficult and suspicious. If your wife’s passport was retained by HO why would she go ahead to do a new passport when she her passport is still with HO.
Also, she should have informed her embassy when she found her passport before you lodged your application.
Of course, you can reapply for RC and inform them that your passport is with them and that your wife has obtained a new passport. But you must be very lucky for home office to process your application without going through difficulties with them.
Not sure why you say this? What is the least bit difficult or suspicious in what I suggested?

Of course she should have informed her embassy when she found the passport. But she didn't. And life goes on. Not a big deal actually.

Home Office already knows the passport was reporting lost. Because it was not a valid passport, the application was rejected. Now the wife's new passport, or old ID card, both of which are presently valid, will be submitted.

SunBlue

Post by SunBlue » Sun May 01, 2011 9:02 pm

There was a show on TV the other day showing people using stolen passports to apply for dependent visa - ie: they stole passports in Spain and applied as married of the person who had the passport stolen in the UK.
Then the person who lost the passport in Portugal, Spain etc doesn't even know that their identity is being used to apply for a dependent visa for someone unknown. Hence the UKBA beins suspicious on this as this is becoming a common crime.

I'm sure your case will take some time to get solved as I'm sure Home Office will investigate this further just to make sure.

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 9:14 pm

Glauco wrote:There was a show on TV the other day showing people using stolen passports to apply for dependent visa - ie: they stole passports in Spain and applied as married of the person who had the passport stolen in the UK.
Then the person who lost the passport in Portugal, Spain etc doesn't even know that their identity is being used to apply for a dependent visa for someone unknown. Hence the UKBA beins suspicious on this as this is becoming a common crime.

I'm sure your case will take some time to get solved as I'm sure Home Office will investigate this further just to make sure.
so if they receieve a new application with a new passport with a cover letter wont that satisify them?

koded

Post by koded » Sun May 01, 2011 9:20 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC
Not sure why you say this? What is the least bit difficult or suspicious in what I suggested?
Well, I don’t know what you don’t understand in what I said. HO is retaining a passport which was reported missing and the wife has to go to her country to get a new passport even when her previous passport is still valid. I presume her embassy in UK would not want to issue a new passport if she should have applied for new passport knowing that her passport was retained by UK authority. It is like having two passports at the same time. I don’t know if that is allowed.
I think she should have written to HO office to return her passport and know why they are still retaining her passport.
What was the reason given to the issuing authority in her home country as to what happen to her previous passport? This doesn’t make matter easy for them because HO office will investigate the matter.

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm

koded wrote:Directive/2004/38/EC
Well, I don’t know what you don’t understand in what I said. HO is retaining a passport which was reported missing and the wife has to go to her country to get a new passport even when her previous passport is still valid. I presume her embassy in UK would not want to issue a new passport if she should have applied for new passport knowing that her passport was retained by UK authority. It is like having two passports at the same time. I don’t know if that is allowed.
I think she should have written to HO office to return her passport and know why they are still retaining her passport.
What was the reason given to the issuing authority in her home country as to what happen to her previous passport? This doesn’t make matter easy for them because HO office will investigate the matter.
No she made a new passport cuz she was on holiday at that moment and i told her to do a new passport cuz they seized the passports and we didnt know how long it will take to get the passport back from HO so we thought it is easier to do a new one.is there any difference from getting the passport from the embassy in uk and in getting it in portugal? since there is a new valid passport will their be a problem again?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun May 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Not at all. When you report a passport missing to your embassy, it is no longer a valid passport. It goes on a list of invalid passports, which is why the home office rejected this application. (Remember that both the EU citizen and the non-EU family member needs to, in general, present a valid passport).

So at that point the wife of the OP had to apply for a new passport. In most counties you can do that at the embassy or in your home country. But it is usually a lot more expensive to get it from the embassy. If I apply for a British passport at a British embassy, it costs twice as much as if I do it in the UK. So better to use it as an excuse for a trip home, so you see friends, get faster turnaround AND save money.

There is no indication from the OP that there is fraud involved. And I do not see why it will not be a very straight forward reapplication for the Residence Card.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun May 01, 2011 11:10 pm

blessedone wrote:No she made a new passport cuz she was on holiday at that moment and i told her to do a new passport cuz they seized the passports and we didnt know how long it will take to get the passport back from HO so we thought it is easier to do a new one.is there any difference from getting the passport from the embassy in uk and in getting it in portugal? since there is a new valid passport will their be a problem again?
It does not matter where she got the passport. At home is just as good as from the embassy in the UK. (And she saved money!)

There should be zero problem with the new passport.

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 11:33 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
blessedone wrote:No she made a new passport cuz she was on holiday at that moment and i told her to do a new passport cuz they seized the passports and we didnt know how long it will take to get the passport back from HO so we thought it is easier to do a new one.is there any difference from getting the passport from the embassy in uk and in getting it in portugal? since there is a new valid passport will their be a problem again?
It does not matter where she got the passport. At home is just as good as from the embassy in the UK. (And she saved money!)

There should be zero problem with the new passport.
thanks alot,our fears was that the siezed passport will be a long thing,now there is a new passport and it is valid i think it will show that the first one was just a mistake,my worrys is about my own nigerian passport,what are they going to do with my passport because they have it and i dont know what they want to do with it,when i will submit a new application with my wife's new passport,i dont know if it will be easy for them to find my nigerian passport that they seized...what actions do you think they must have taken after they found out that my wife's passport was reported lost

koded

Post by koded » Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Provided all your new application and documents are genuine you don’t have to worry except for the time it will take because as I said previously HO will definitely investigate your application very well.

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Sun May 01, 2011 11:51 pm

koded wrote:Provided all your new application and documents are genuine you don’t have to worry except for the time it will take because as I said previously HO will definitely investigate your application very well.
oh my God,how long do you think it will take?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 12:16 am

blessedone wrote:
koded wrote:Provided all your new application and documents are genuine you don’t have to worry except for the time it will take because as I said previously HO will definitely investigate your application very well.
Relax. Breath deeply. UKBA has been better at processing applications quickly, though they can legally take up to 6 months to issue the Residence Card.

It is not at all clear that they will take much more time on your application than any others. Yours sounds pretty straight forward in my opinion. They will have to have at least one more step of finding your passport from their files, rather than just having it in front of them on the desk.

Do you need your passport back as soon as possible? If so just ask for it back early. Not a problem.

blessedone
Newly Registered

Post by blessedone » Mon May 02, 2011 12:33 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
blessedone wrote:
Relax. Breath deeply. UKBA has been better at processing applications quickly, though they can legally take up to 6 months to issue the Residence Card.

It is not at all clear that they will take much more time on your application than any others. Yours sounds pretty straight forward in my opinion. They will have to have at least one more step of finding your passport from their files, rather than just having it in front of them on the desk.

Do you need your passport back as soon as possible? If so just ask for it back early. Not a problem.

should i ask for my passport back before the new application?why didnt they send my own passport back to me alongside the other documents that they sent to me,do you think they will keep the passport safe or should i asj for it back

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 1:13 am

I do not know why they did not send it back.

If you ask for your passport back right now, it will (pure guess) take them 8 weeks to process the request. And then you would have to send in the new Residence Card application.

If you send in the application, with a good cover letter, then as soon as they open it they will request the passport from wherever they have it. And hopefully they will get it in time for when the start processing the application. But in any case they may not legally take more than 6 months to process the application.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Mon May 02, 2011 12:33 pm

blessedone wrote:
No she made a new passport cuz she was on holiday at that moment and i told her to do a new passport cuz they seized the passports and we didnt know how long it will take to get the passport back from HO so we thought it is easier to do a new one.is there any difference from getting the passport from the embassy in uk and in getting it in portugal? since there is a new valid passport will their be a problem again?
I din't know it was that easy to make Passports in Beliguim!
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

DFDS.

Post by DFDS. » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 pm

OP, what reasons did HO give in the rejection letter? Besides, you are so keen on recieving back your Pass, then continuing with a genuien application.
Last edited by DFDS. on Mon May 02, 2011 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Relax! and this too shall pass, secrets are like seasons, they change.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 12:44 pm

DFDS. wrote:I din't know it was that easy to make Passports in Beliguim!
The OPs wife is from Portugal.

Most countries have express services (in country) for handling urgent renewals and for replacing lost passports. You must usually go and stand in line in some overcrowded office with other people in the same situation.

toni34
- thin ice -
Mood:
Nigeria

fraud

Post by toni34 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:50 pm

mr,you have a long way to convince homeoffice,and dont think they buy ur words that her passport is stolen,they know the script,what happen is that someone will pay someone from portugal to come over to the uk,marry the person,fly back to portugal,then send back her passport then you wil apply for rc with it,but nowadays,if they suspect fowl play,they will actually track her travel history,to know if she has lived here,or if she flew here for maybe two weeks,pls be aware that they will come to ur address to look for you cause they believe it is fraud.infact there is a new department inside the ukba tracking down fraudulent rc applicants.am not going to advise you on what action you should take,but watch ur back,you maybe arrestted.am not saying ur case is fraudulent,but am not homeoffice,
NON EU national with RC

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Re: fraud

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 pm

toni34 wrote:mr,you have a long way to convince homeoffice,and dont think they buy ur words that her passport is stolen,they know the script,what happen is that someone will pay someone from portugal to come over to the uk,marry the person,fly back to portugal,then send back her passport then you wil apply for rc with it,but nowadays,if they suspect fowl play,they will actually track her travel history,to know if she has lived here,or if she flew here for maybe two weeks,pls be aware that they will come to ur address to look for you cause they believe it is fraud.infact there is a new department inside the ukba tracking down fraudulent rc applicants.am not going to advise you on what action you should take,but watch ur back,you maybe arrestted.am not saying ur case is fraudulent,but am not homeoffice,
I think this is just paranoid drivel.

The OP did not say the passport was stolen. They said it was lost, and they sensibly cancelled the passport with their embassy. They then made a mistake of sending it after they found it. But now they have gotten a recently issued valid passport, which they would not have been able to do if they had not been the legitimate owner of the original passport.

Even if home office had so much resource to devote to each application, they will be focussed on cases where they actually think there is genuine fraud. And even then, they still have to process it within 6 months.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon May 02, 2011 10:57 pm

blessedone,

What exactly did the home office say in their letter when they kept your and your wife's passport?

toni34
- thin ice -
Mood:
Nigeria

re-fraud

Post by toni34 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:10 pm

didnt just wrote the above without intellience,got some of my mates in detention cause of mere suspicion of fraud.infact one was deported ,they later granted him the family permit to come back.if he says the nigerian passport was withheld,then it is a different ball game,any decision to seize a european passport does not end well.by the way am Nigerian.am not paranoid,they will treat his case within 6 months,but he should watch his back.even if the passport is no longer valid,once it is determine that the owner of the european passport is aware of the pasport been with them,they should have ask him to bring the valid passport.
NON EU national with RC