ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Housing Benefit & ILR

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jav1979
Newly Registered

Housing Benefit & ILR

Post by jav1979 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 pm

My husband is about to apply for ILR. I am a British Citizen, I am claiming tax credits and housing benefit.
Can anyone tell me please if any of this would affect his application?
Some people have said that tax credits is ok but I'm not sure about housing benefit.

Thanks

gino121
Newly Registered

Post by gino121 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:26 pm

i am in same position as you.i am claiming housing benefit. income support.tax credit.and my wife she will apply soon for ilr set[m] and she is looking after 7 month son.she was working before but not now .also i am worried .i keep thinking they will refuse the appliction .and if [big if] refuse we have the right to appeal or they grant fruther leave[2 year] my mind never stop thinking. due to my health problem i cant work now. and wife looking after our new born son .....thank you in advance for any advice .....

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Housing Benefit & ILR

Post by mochyn » Tue May 03, 2011 8:48 am

jav1979 wrote:My husband is about to apply for ILR. I am a British Citizen, I am claiming tax credits and housing benefit.
Some people have said that tax credits is ok but I'm not sure about housing benefit.

Thanks
As you are a British citizen, you are entitled to Housing benefit and it will have no effect on his ILR

jav1979
Newly Registered

Re: Housing Benefit & ILR

Post by jav1979 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:26 pm

mochyn wrote:
jav1979 wrote:My husband is about to apply for ILR. I am a British Citizen, I am claiming tax credits and housing benefit.

Thanks
As you are a British citizen, you are entitled to Housing benefit and it will have no effect on his ILR
Thanks for replying, really appreciate your help.

I'm only claiming a small amount but some people say that it will affect the application.

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Post by ferrarilondon » Wed May 04, 2011 3:11 pm

Don't listen to those some people, as long as you are British or settled in UK you can claim HB for yourself or your kids only not for your spouses. So should be fine.

jav1979
Newly Registered

Post by jav1979 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:22 pm

ferrarilondon wrote:Don't listen to those some people, as long as you are British or settled in UK you can claim HB for yourself or your kids only not for your spouses. So should be fine.
Thanks for that.
I just wondered, coz I have to still give my husbands name so won't they say he is claiming too?

He is working 30-35 hours a week.

Thanks again.

ferrarilondon
Member of Standing

Post by ferrarilondon » Fri May 06, 2011 10:42 am

they want to know the details of all the residents ( for HB calculation purposes ) that does not mean that they are paying you for him as well. Make sure they know that he is subject to immigration control

gino121
Newly Registered

be positive

Post by gino121 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:01 pm

i think you are wrong . .secondly yoy are not claiming any benefit[ as i understood] so dont panic. i am in the same position as you [my wife due to apply ] i am claiming benefits. be positive instead of panicking.good luck with your application.

raj001
Newly Registered

gino121

Post by raj001 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:28 am

gino121 wrote:i think you are wrong . .secondly yoy are not claiming any benefit[ as i understood] so dont panic. i am in the same position as you [my wife due to apply ] i am claiming benefits. be positive instead of panicking.good luck with your application.
did you got your ILR ? I am also same situation please help me