ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Free early learning & "Public funds"

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ozmcg11
Newly Registered

Free early learning & "Public funds"

Post by ozmcg11 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:25 am

Can someone please confirm whether the Government-funded free early learning for 3 & 4 year olds is considered "public funds" and therefore those of us under the restriction of "no recourse to public funds" are prevented from taking advantage of this?

many thanks

nell.

bsparks
Newly Registered

Would love to know the answer to this too

Post by bsparks » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 pm

Hi Nell, was just trying to find out the answer to this myself and this thread is the first result returned on a google search - hope someone knows the answer. The 15 free hours would really help us out if we are eligible, but don't want it to muck up any applications for PR down the line, or be taking something we aren't supposed to be.

Our nursery has said we have to let them know that we want to 'opt out' of the scheme if we aren't eligible.

Cheers, Danielle.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Is there an official description of the "Government-funded free early learning for 3 & 4 year olds" program? Any links?

bsparks
Newly Registered

Detail on early learning

Post by bsparks » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi,

Here's the detail on the free early learning program:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Pre ... G_10016103

The FIS who can give more info don't know the answer to this question.

On the list of public funds provided by UK Border Agency, this one isn't on there, but am not sure if it fits into a category, such as a 'social fund payment' - but it isn't a payment, so really not sure.

I phoned UKBA today and they couldn't tell me and asked me to put my question in writing, which I have done. When I get a reply, I'll definitely put it on this thread.

Fingers crossed it isn't on the list :D

Danielle

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 pm

Life isn't fair, but you can be!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Detail on early learning

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 pm

bsparks wrote:I phoned UKBA today and they couldn't tell me and asked me to put my question in writing, which I have done. When I get a reply, I'll definitely put it on this thread.
Which office/address did they tell you to write to? Curious!

I would suggest you also contact your MP and have them approach UKBA. They have dedicated contacts within the agency who give clear written answers in response to the MPs question. And they may be faster than writing to a generic UKBA office.

What kind of visa are you on? What is the citizenship of the child?

In reading the link, it looks like it is a general service, and one for which they want ALL children to participate so that fewer of them grow up to be disaffected youth. So I expect they want your child too!

bsparks
Newly Registered

Got a reply on this one!

Post by bsparks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:38 pm

I was told to either write to the office in Croydon or email the public enquiries email address, which is listed here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/conta ... ctcentres/

We are on an ancestry visa. My child is Australian.

Got a reply from UKBA:

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please be advised that the early learning scheme is not on our list of public fund that a person on limited leave can have access to.

You will be required to contact the Education Department to find out whether you are entitle to this facility or not.

A decision will be made by the caseworker who considers your application, based on the requirements of the Immigration Rules and the documentary evidence which you have submitted. We are unable to comment about the outcome of any application in advance.

I regret that we are unable to assist you further.

Yours sincerely,

Jas Patel
Immigration Group
UK Border Agency

-- I have then gone to the Education Dept website based on the reply from UKBA:

http://www.education.gov.uk/childrenand ... -year-olds

Reading the Code of Practice for local authorities document which was on the above link, it states this:

2.6 Local authorities are legally required to secure sufficient free early years provision, as described above, for every eligible child. A child moving to England from another country is entitled to free early years provision on the same basis as any other child regardless of whether they have British citizenship.

So the views from previous posts is correct, that they want ALL children to participate.

Good news :D