ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Where to apply, in States or Canada?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

granite_grrl
Newly Registered

Where to apply, in States or Canada?

Post by granite_grrl » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:02 pm

I am working and have a perminant address in St. Catharines, On. I spend much of my time across the boarder near Buffalo with my Husband. We were going to totally relocate to Ontario so I wouldn't have to commute any more, but if we did that then I assume that we would have to put the perminant residence application for him in at Ontario. I am under the immpression that it may actually go quicker if he maintained an address in the states and applied through Buffalo. What would be quickest?

I am also wondering what happens if we wanted to move out west to Alberta or BC. How would this affect the processing time?

Dominion
Newly Registered

Post by Dominion » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:00 am

What is you and your spouse citizenship?

What is the legal status both in Canada and U.S?

granite_grrl
Newly Registered

Post by granite_grrl » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:25 pm

I am a Canadian citizen, my husband is an America citizen.

jo5356
Newly Registered

Post by jo5356 » Wed May 10, 2006 5:40 pm

Since you are a Canadian citizen and work in Canada, you should be able to sponsor your husband to become a permanent resident of Canada from within Canada.

I came to Canada from the US several years ago, and wrote a guide book to help others do the same.

You can take a look at my site:

http://www.thecanadianway.info

jo

granite_grrl
Newly Registered

Post by granite_grrl » Thu May 11, 2006 2:46 am

Thanks Jo. We have decided to go with applying from within Canada. What we are a little worried about now if we need/want to travel across the boarder. For example, we planned on driving to Halifax this summer to visit family, its much quicker for us to go through the states. Also his family is in the states, and he was wanting to visit his brother and help him with a few caorpentry projects that he needed help with over the summer.

Should we be worried about his re-entry into Canada? Should we hold off on sending in our application till after the summer?

Second, Jo, I saw on your timeline you requested clearence from both the FBI and the GBI, does clearence have to be done on a state level?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Edited to add: Jo, I was thinking of buying your book, how much does it deal with family sponsered immigration?

jo5356
Newly Registered

Post by jo5356 » Thu May 11, 2006 3:21 pm

Hello granite_grrl,

You are a Canadian citizen, right? Then you should be able to travel to the states. Just be aware that soon you may be required to show a passport at the border (not sure of exact date of implementation).

If you are uneasy about applying now, then wait until after your summer projects are complete.

Police clearances must be obtained from any states you have lived in since age 18 for 6 mths or more.

My book gives information on all classes of immigration to Canada and where to find that information. It directs you to forms, detailed info no matter whether it's Skilled Worker, Family, Business class etc. It also gives taxation information your husband will need to know if he moves to Canada, and much more.

Good luck!

jo