ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moving to Holland!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Jessicaatje137
Newly Registered

Moving to Holland!

Post by Jessicaatje137 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:04 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Jess, and I am from the United States. I am planning on moving to Holland at the end of the summer, and I could use some help with this process. My boyfriend, who is from Holland, and I are beginning research to find out what we need to do for me to be able to get to Holland and stay there.

I would like to work there for a year and then go to school for my masters degree in the fall of 2007.

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be VERY much appreciated!

Thank you,
Jess

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:39 am

edamame
Newly Registered

careful

Post by edamame » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:44 pm

Hey, take a hard look! NL is the hardest EU country for foreign nationals. Also, you'll have to establish your partnership. I was in NL with my Dutch partner in 2002 when the laws were slightly less strict. If your partner makes (something like a E1600?) net income after tax, and has a one year contract, you may get the right to reside. Please check the IND's website. But a work permit is a *completely separate application.* You should expect it to take a while too. It's naive to think they will be given out speedily. Please understand what you're getting into! I'm now married to my Dutch partner, and I still have troubles living in NL. You might have to consider the Belgian route. Ask your partner what it is. If you have any paperwork SNAFU's I urge you to get a lawyer. I'm a US citizen too & my student visa took 11 months to process--yes, I got it the month before graduation. In September when I started my MA I had 3 job offers, but by summer when the visa came through (with permission to work 10 hours) the economy was dead. It's better now, but still slow.

Look up former minsiter Hirsi Ali and her case, where her passport was revoked by the IND minister, who is a member of the same party. http://www.boston.com/news/world/europe ... ve_nation/

Ask your partner about Tatjiana (spelled wrong) the Czech student, and the footballer... The IND and "Iron Rita" Minister Verdonk are taking a very hard view on immigration. They deported gay minors to Iran, where they were publically hanged for homosexuality.
http://direland.typepad.com/direland/20 ... nd_fr.html

Seriously! Know what you're getting into. Remember, resident visa is completely separate from a work permit. Otherwise, you might gain the right to spend money in NL for a year, but not to make any. Watch out.

edamame
Newly Registered

here's another one

Post by edamame » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:50 pm

On slow student visas:
http://www.wb-online.nl/index.php?/kran ... php?k=0615

BTW Wageningen U. isn't the first university who is sueing the government for delays in visa processing. Other unis hired guest lecturers and their work permits were done so slowly that the lecturers had to sit in the back of lecture halls, unable to work, whilst the government's wheels churned.

Not trying to be sour grapes, just a dose of Dutch reality. Read up and know what you're getting into. FYI marriage lowers the income requirement bar (which recently went up) for your partner. You need to have a means of support whilst your paperwork is being handled, especially your work permit. You might want to do your studies early, as student visas are a quicker process(!)