ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Fiancee on Uk Tier 5 youth and mobility visa

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

neilbittles
Newly Registered

Fiancee on Uk Tier 5 youth and mobility visa

Post by neilbittles » Fri May 06, 2011 9:11 am

Hi Guys,

I met my girlfriend in australia when i was backpacking in March 2009. Unfortunately i had to leave australia and continue my travels. I arrived back in the Uk, Northern Ireland Oct 2009. My girlfriend then arrived here in the same month on a Tier 5 youth and mobility UK work visa valid for two years. She is an australian citizen and I am a british citizen settled here in the UK, Northern Ireland.

We recently got engaged and would like to remain in the Uk for a further two years. Her visa expires in Oct 2011. By Oct 2011 we will have been living together for two years in the UK and have all the proof to back up our claim e.g. bank statements, pay slips etc.

We have been advised to apply for a de-facto visa. Is it possible to switch and apply for this without her having to leave the UK???

Anyone who has been or is currently in this situation will know how stressing it is as you dont want to loose your partner. Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Neil

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri May 06, 2011 10:25 am

You'd be better off posting in the immigration for family members section.

De facto visa is an Australian term. You're after an unmarried partner visa. Have a look in the immigration for family member section I am sure you'll find lots of relevent posts there.

Also look at the UKBA website here

Yes she can apply from within the UK.

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 06, 2011 10:39 am

Greenie wrote:You'd be better off posting in the immigration for family members section.
Moved.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

neilbittles
Newly Registered

thanks greenie

Post by neilbittles » Fri May 06, 2011 5:01 pm

Greenie wrote:You'd be better off posting in the immigration for family members section.

De facto visa is an Australian term. You're after an unmarried partner visa. Have a look in the immigration for family member section I am sure you'll find lots of relevent posts there.

Also look at the UKBA website here

Yes she can apply from within the UK.
thanks greenie!
if we have proof of living together for two years, which would be in October 2011, do you think we have a chance of getting the unmarried partner visa? whats the difference between an unmarried partner visa and a fiancé visa?

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri May 06, 2011 8:28 pm

A lot of difference. A fiancé visa can only be applied for from outside the UK, with the intention of getting married in the UK. Subsequently, switch before leave expires. Moreover, you may also do this from 9 May.
Last edited by vinny on Sat May 07, 2011 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri May 06, 2011 8:33 pm

A fiancé visa would only be relevant if (a) your partner were outside the UK and (b) you wanted her to come here to get married.

If you don't want to get married, apply for leave to remain as an unmarried partner in October. Read Greenie's link, and this one:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... inside-uk/

If you do want to get married there is nothing stopping you after 9 May, when the certificate of approval scheme is abolished. Check your local register office. Your partner won't need any additional permission to get married during the validity of her current Tier 5 visa. She could then apply for leave to remain as your spouse.

ETA: oops, to slow!