ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MP statistics for Anti-Retrospectiveness Campaign, need help

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

nonothing

MP statistics for Anti-Retrospectiveness Campaign, need help

Post by nonothing » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:37 pm

hi, guys

i'm doing a table of all the MPs to track their action for the Anti-Retrospectiveness Campaign. i need all of you give me a big hand.

here are what you could do:

1. raise the issue to your MP by either email or post.
2. tell me what kind of appeal you send to your MP, general appeal or EDM appeal. i expect both.
3. tell me your MP's name, if he/she replies, what action he/she promises to take, any further information after the first reply?
4. if possible, send me your MP's reply email.
5. because there're 646 MPs in total, my list is pretty long, i haven't come up with an idea how to publish it, although i can update the figures regularly. can you give me any help to publish it properly? maybe i need a webspace?

to help me, you can either follow this thread or drop me an email at nonothing2004@hotmail.com

thanks in advance.

here is what my table looks like:

i'll add more information in the thread. e.g. some important or typical replies from the MPs and the HO ministers/secretaries.
Last edited by nonothing on Wed May 17, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:24 pm

MP statistics for Anti-Retrospective Implementation of 4-5 Years Chenges Campaign
last update: 28/06/2006

for more information about the campaign: www.vbsi.org.uk

total MPs+: 646
total contacted**: 101
replied / not replied*: 99/2
wants to debate in parliament*: 3
sent letter to HO*: 17
got reply form HO*: 5
signed EDMs+: 74
can not / will not sign EDMs*: 5

* figures only reflect the information confirmed on several websites/forums.
** ditto, excluding MPs contacted by VBSI only.
+ figures are official. (source: http://edmi.parliament.uk )

for the full list please click here:
(pretty long, takes a while to load)
http://www.vbsi.org.uk/uploads/Docs/MP_Stats.html

please send me your information to help me fill in the table.

-------------------------------------------------
some responses from the MPs
-------------------------------------------------
Letter from Prime Minister Tony Blair's Office (10 Downing Street)
(Courtesy to "supertiger" from immigrationboards.com)

Dear XXX,

The Prime Minister has asked me to thank you for your recent letter.

He was pleaseed that you felt able to write and has asked that a careful note be made of your comments.

Additionally, he has asked that your letter be passed to the Home Office who have responsibility for this subject so that they, too, are aware of your concerns and can send you any comments they may have direct.

Yours sincerely,

G Edwards

Response from the Conservative Party leader David Cameron's office
(Courtesy to "Papafaith" from immigrationboards.com)

Thank you for writing to David Cameron - I'm replying on his behalf. I'm sorry for the long delay in my reply, as I am sure you can appreciate there has been a massive increase in the volume of correspondence coming into the office since David Cameron became Party Leader.

Thank you for your email. I have ensured that our Home Affairs team have these details for their consideration and thank you again for writing.

Yours sincerely,

David Beal
Correspondence Secretary
David Cameron's Office
House of Commons
London SW1A 0AA

Response from the Liberal Democrat Party Leader Sir Menzies Campbell
(Courtesy to "tarzan" from immigrationboards.com)

"....As you are aware, these reforms are being progressed via a negative order which means the Government's proposals will not be debated on the floor of the House or in Committee. The Liberal Democrats have prayed against the order which should require the Government to allow a debate on the above changes. I hope you find this response reassuring."

Response from the Conservative Party Shadow Minister for Immigration Damian Green MP
(Courtesy to "tarzan" from immigrationboards.com)

Mr Damian Green MP has agreed that the retrospective nature of these changes is unjust and conservatives will be opposing this element of the changes.

Response from the Liberal Democrat Party Shadow Home Secretary Nick Clegg MP
(Courtesy to "a11", "tarzan" and other friends from immigrationboards.com and lkcn.net)

Thank you for contacting me regarding the changes to immigration rules (House of Commons Paper 974, replaced by HC1016) including changes to the qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

I am concerned that this situation is unfair to those already in this country who have made plans on the reasonable assumption that the qualifying period would not change, and unnecessarily prejudices those skilled immigrants who contribute significantly to this country and its economy. We feel that the Home Office has not given sufficient notice of these changes and that if they were justified; they should apply only to those entering the country now, and not retrospectively.

To this end we have laid a motion against these changes which we hope to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary procedure (we anticipate this will be in the next month).

I will write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known.

Thank you for raising this vital issue with me.

Yours sincerely
Sent on behalf of Nick Clegg MP

Response from the Liberal Democrat Party Shadow Education Secretary Sarah Teather MP
(Courtesy to "Eugene_UK" and "tarzan" from immigrationboards.com)

"I too am concerned that this situation is unfair to those already in this country who have made plans on reasonable assumption that the qualifying period would not change...Myself and Liberal Democrat colleagues also strongly agree with you that the HO has not given sufficient notice of these changes and that, if they were justified, they should apply only to those entering the country now, and not retrospectively.
To this end LD have laid a motion against these changes, which we hope to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary procedure (we anticipate this will be next month) and I will be sure to write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known. I shall also be signing the EDM tabled by Sir Menzies Campbell on this topic...11 of my LD colleagues have already added their names to EDM (number 1992)..."
Last edited by nonothing on Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:56 am, edited 40 times in total.

slor
Newly Registered

Dobson

Post by slor » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:45 am

I have been in contact with Frank Dobson, MP for Holborn and St. Pancras here in London. I simply sent him a copy of my letter to Mr. McNulty. He has replied requesting that I supply him with a copy of any response from Mr. NcNulty, which of course I have not received.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:12 am

updated on 25/04

if you've contacted your MP, please keep me informed.

cheers.

gaurav

Post by gaurav » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 pm

I sent an email to my local MP Mr Jim Cousins on 21st April and had a postal reply today.His reply was very weird so I have written again to see him personally.I am posting my email and his reply as under.

My Email:

Respected Sir,

As you would be aware that Parliament has passed the changes in
Immigration rules(HC 1016)on 30/03/06.According to this all immigrants related
to work related catagories i.e HSMP/Work permit holders etc can apply
for ILR after 5 years now instead of 4 years.The implementation on this
policy has been started from 03/04/06 retrospectively.

I don t have any objection on this policy as it might be in best
interest of UK, my only objection is about it's retrospective implementation.

As we were told when we chose to enter this country that we would be
qualified for ILR after 4 yrs if we satisfied all the criteria set forth.
The retrospective implementation of this proposed change has a number
of negative effects on the practical life of people who entered under
the old rules and have faithfully satisfied the stringent rules for
approval of Further Leave to Remain (ability to get mortgages on residential
property, children's ability to study at UK universities, etc.), but
the principle involved goes far beyond the practical problems.

We are neither refugees nor asylum seekers, but Highly Skilled people
who felt we were entering into a contract by choosing to come here under
the stated conditions at the time we applied. We are shocked and
dismayed that, having kept our part of the bargain, we see the more powerful
party changing the rules of the game. We understand the wish to change
the rules to make you more in line with European norms, and to create a
more coherent long-term immigration policy; but any such changes should
in fairness only apply to new applicants, people who choose to migrate
to the UK knowing what the (new) rules are. Retrospective changing of
the rules is unfair, in civil contracts illegal, and to our minds not in
keeping with what we imagined was the British sense of fair play.

As legal skilled immigrants in the UK, we came here because we like
this country and its people. Once here, we become ambassadors for the UK
in our countries of origin. We work hard and want to integrate into
society, but this sudden retrospective change, without anything like proper
consultation, makes us have doubts about the wisdom of our choice. We
are convinced that other persons having the sort of skills that the
Government itself says the country needs, and especially the most qualified
amongst them (who definitely have a choice as to where to go), will
think twice about signing on to a programme where the rules can be changed
without notice, retrospectivelyy and without appeal. To alienate us may
be an acceptable side effect to a desirable policy change; to alienate
thousands of potential high-quality migrants bringing badly needed
entrepreneurial and other skills would seem to be bad policy indeed.
I hope you would agree with my concerns about retrospective
implementation of these changes and will discuss this issue with your fellow
Parliamentarians and immigration Minister and will try to convince them
about side effects of retrospective implementation so that changes should
be implemented to those who know at the time of entering in the UK about
these changes.

I look forward for your reply.Thank you

Regards
XXXXX

His Reply:

Dear Mr XXXx

Thankyou for contacting me about immigration policy.This is a very important matter and thankyou for raising it with me.

This letter is an acknowledment that your letter has been received.Please note the new e-mail address shown above.

I'd also like you to know that I(and my staff) are committed to Data Protection principles .People sometimes how I keep information .This will be in a paper file.Some information may be recorded electronically as well.If you wish to see this at any time,please let me know in writing.

I generally try to keep in touch with people who contact me, and sometimes send on further information.I am enclosing details of my advice sessions .My advice sessions are a way in which you can speak to me in person.But, if you think you may have a problem of access,let me know .I will then make arrangements to see you.

Yours Sincerely

Jim Cousins
Labour MP for Newcastle Central

As the reply was quiet weird and absurd ,I have written again to him and requested for a personal appointment. I would like you guys to give me some input on how I can use this meeting effectively.

Apologies to post such a big post

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:36 am

gaurav wrote:As the reply was quiet weird and absurd ,I have written again to him and requested for a personal appointment. I would like you guys to give me some input on how I can use this meeting effectively.
thanks for informing, mate. i've updated my table accordingly. but the reply you've got does look like a computer-generated acknowledgement. you'd better talk to him directly and good luck.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 03, 2006 9:49 am

updated on 03/05/2006
updated on 04/05/2006
updated on 05/05/2006
updated on 08/05/2006

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 10, 2006 11:56 am

updated on 10/05/2006

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed May 10, 2006 12:15 pm

Thanks for updating the information. Please add mine: I have contacted my MP: Ms Susan Kramer (Richmond Park), Lib Dem, she has replied and also forwarded a letter from HO with general explaination we normally see. I have then asked her to sign the EDM and haven;t got reply yet. Will keep u informed if any news received.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 10, 2006 1:54 pm

thanks a lot, ST

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed May 10, 2006 8:46 pm

I have also writen to Tony Blair and got a reply from the Direct Communication Unit, 10 Downing Street dated 24 Apr. There are only few sentences don;t think he will do anything...

Dear XXX,

The Prime Minister has asked me to thank you for your recent letter.

He was pleaseed that you felt able to write and has asked that a careful note be made of your comments.

Additionally, he has asked that your letter be passed to the Home Office who have responsibility for this subject so that they, too, are aware of your concerns and can send you any comments they may have direct.

Yours sincerely,

G Edwards

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 10, 2006 9:08 pm

thanks again, ST.

i'll pass your letter to CL's team. at least we can say PM is aware of the issue.

we need keep our pressures on. any further response, please keep us informed.

to all other friends, could you please also pass your reply letters and emails to either CL's team or myself. with loads of letters and email, at least we can pile some pressures on the HO.

please!

Eugene_UK

Post by Eugene_UK » Wed May 10, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi
I`ve got reply from my MP - Sarah Teather, Brent East:

"I too am concerned that this situation is unfair to those already in this country who have made plans on reasonable assumption that the qualifying period would not change...Myself and Liberal Democrat colleagues also strongly agree with you that the HO has not given sufficient notice of these changes and that, if they were justified, they should apply only to those entering the country now, and not retrospectively.
To this end LD have laid a motion against these changes, which we hope to debate in committee before the deadline as stipulated by parliamentary procedure (we anticipate this will be next month) and I will be sure to write to you again when the outcome of the committee is known. I shall also be signing the EDM tabled by Sir Menzies Campbell on this topic...11 of my LD colleagues have already added their names to EDM (number 1992)..."

I am gonna write to her again and thank for her efforts and provide with recent updates.
I think letters like this give us more optimism that we can do a lot to change the rule! Every vote counts and I will vote for Liberal Democrats!

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 10, 2006 10:38 pm

thanks guys. i'll past all the letters here to Christine Lee's team. let's beieve "every little helps"

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu May 11, 2006 11:20 am

updated on 11/05/2006

TotalZone
Newly Registered

Post by TotalZone » Fri May 12, 2006 2:19 pm

I did post this on main BB..
I think this is the right place for it. Apologies for the repetation.

I received a reply today from my MP Mr.Ed Vaizey (MP for Wantage, Oxfordshire - Conservative).
Below is the exact text from the letter..

Many Thanks for your email. I agree with the points your make and have written to the Home secretary on your behalf asking for his comments on the queries you raise.
I have not signed EDMs 1992 and 1912 as I am finding out more about them before I do so.
Yours Sincerely,

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Sat May 13, 2006 12:01 am

TotalZone wrote:I did post this on main BB..
I think this is the right place for it. Apologies for the repetation.

I received a reply today from my MP Mr.Ed Vaizey (MP for Wantage, Oxfordshire - Conservative).
Below is the exact text from the letter..

Many Thanks for your email. I agree with the points your make and have written to the Home secretary on your behalf asking for his comments on the queries you raise.
I have not signed EDMs 1992 and 1912 as I am finding out more about them before I do so.
Yours Sincerely,
thanks TotalZone.

updated on 13/05/2006

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Wed May 17, 2006 2:00 pm

updated on 17/05/2006

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Fri May 19, 2006 2:00 pm

I got a letter from damian gree, he agrees with the point that the retrospective effect is negative. He mentions forcing the government to refer the change to a Standing Committee in the next few weeks (signed 18th may)
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Fri May 19, 2006 4:33 pm

updated 19/05/2006

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Mon May 22, 2006 11:10 pm

I got the third letter from my MP Susan Kramer today. She stated that she has signed EDM in the letter dated 16th May but I cannot see it on the parliament website yet... there might be a delay between MP signing EDM and info updated? I don;t know about it but as she said she has signed, I believe that she should have already done so. I will keep checking the EDM page for any updates. Below is her reply:

Thank you for your recent email to me of the 10th May, regarding your ongoing concerns over the retrospective change recently made to the qualifing period for ILR within the UK.

As I stated in my last letter to you, I fully share your concerns over this measure and am pleased to inform you that I have now signed EDM 1992 which calls for the disproval to this change.

i will of course strive to keep you updated on any further developments on this front as and when they occur, but in the meantime, if I can be of assistance to you with regard to any other issues, then please don;t hesitate to let me know.

Yours sincerely,

Susan Kramer

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Mon May 22, 2006 11:30 pm

One of my friend also got a letter from Damian Green today at a same nature he replied to others, but seems that his tone is getter firmer... he stated that "will urge the standing commitee to force the government to make the change..." I haven;t found anything from google regarding this standing commitee but it seems some standing commitees can take very long before an agreement is reached...

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Tue May 23, 2006 8:46 am

Susan Kramer's name is now showing on EDM page! She's the 31st who signed. SHe has also sent letter to HO earlier and we have got reply, copied and pasted as same as the HO standard letter to everyone... pls update record.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Tue May 23, 2006 2:00 pm

updated on 23/05/2006

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Thu May 25, 2006 7:49 pm

updated on 25/05/2005