ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switch Tier 1 Dependent visa to Tier 1 General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vms
Newly Registered

Switch Tier 1 Dependent visa to Tier 1 General

Post by vms » Sun May 08, 2011 5:55 am

Hi,

I am living in London from Dec 2008 on Tier1 dependent visa with my husband who has Tier 1 (General) visa. He applied for Tier 1 extension in March 2011 and got the visa till March 2013. I also got the visa till March 2013 as Tier 1 dependent.

I have been working in London as IT contractor from September 2009 and I have my own limited company. I wanted to apply for Tier 1 (General) independently this year but came to know that Tier 1 (General) visa is now closed for outsiders.

Now, I have some personal issues with my husband and I want to live separately in London and I want to continue to work in London.

Can someone kindly clarify the below questions.

1. Can my husband cancel my dependent visa without informing me?
2. Is there any other way I can switch my dependent visa status to Tier 1 General so that I can work without depending on him. I have been maintaining sufficient funds in my bank account and meet all the eligibility criteria. I do not want to loose my career in the UK because of my personal issues with my husband.

Many Thanks,
vms

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun May 08, 2011 6:59 am

Your husband cannot cancel your visa but ukba can if he informs them you are no longer together. If ukba were to curtail your visa they should write to you at your last known address to inform you.

Tier 1 general is closed unless you already have a visa in that category or one of its predecessors which you do not.

bumble bee
Newly Registered

Post by bumble bee » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Your husband cannot cancel your visa but ukba can if he informs them you are no longer together. If ukba were to curtail your visa they should write to you at your last known address to inform you.

Tier 1 general is closed unless you already have a visa in that category or one of its predecessors which you do not.
hi greenie, so is there a way she can switch to another category? cuz i have similar problems as well.

joh118

Post by joh118 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:32 pm

1. Get a Tier 2 visa (you will have to sell your business)
2. Ter 1 Investors visa
3. Get a divorce and find a Settled Spouse
4. Sell your business and become a student (Tier 4)
4. Return home

or give the relationship another chance?

akash08

Post by akash08 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 pm

read this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... nshipends/

it is not automatic that your visa would be curtailed evn if he writes to UKBA.

"there may be other compassionate or relevant reasons why it would not be appropriate to curtail their stay."

This sentence is also very important. So, I would guess you have a fair chance to continue on dependant partner visa..

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue May 10, 2011 8:32 am

akash08 wrote:read this:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/partn ... nshipends/

it is not automatic that your visa would be curtailed evn if he writes to UKBA.

"there may be other compassionate or relevant reasons why it would not be appropriate to curtail their stay."

This sentence is also very important. So, I would guess you have a fair chance to continue on dependant partner visa..
this page relates to partners of settled or British people.