ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Married Abroad, Applying spouse visa in UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Oxford

Married Abroad, Applying spouse visa in UK

Post by Oxford » Fri May 13, 2011 1:14 pm

Hello,

How are you everyone? I will be really thankful if any (John, JAJ, sushdmehta, Batleykhan, Vinny, Casa, push) of you can shed some light on some of my questions.

OUR DETAILS:

I am currently on Tier 1 General Visa (HSMP) and my spouse has ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain). We have recently (10th April 2011) got married in our home country (Pakistan) in traditional wedding ceremony. Both of us came back to UK in first week of May. My spouse has just finished studies last year and I am working full time.

I want to change my Tier 1 visa to spouse visa and I shall apply in UK.

We have got our marriage registration certificate from Pakistan in English and other evidence (pictures, video, wedding card etc.). We didn't apply for COA and didn't register our marriage in UK.

QUESTIONS:

1. Do we need to register of our marriage in Registrar office here in UK or wedding registration certificate from Pakistan in enough?

2. If our marriage certificate from pakistan is enough than what documents we need to collect for our application ?

3. If our marriage certificate from Pakistan is not valid, than what is the best way to change my tier 1 visa to spouse visa?

Please advise.....!!!!!

I've got some more questions but those questions are linked with the above questions.

If any of the moderators can answer the above questions, that will be great help.

Thanks in Advance

Regard's[/u]

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat May 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Using your numbering :-
  1. Assuming your marriage is recognised in Pakistan as a legal marriage, and not "just" a religious ceremony, then under the terms of the UK's Foreign Marriages Act 1892 it is also recognised as a legal marriage by the UK.
  2. Is the marriage certificate in English? If not then you need to supply that marriage certificate and a certified translation into English. What other evidence? Have a look at the form FLR(M).
  3. If the marriage in Pakistan is recognised as a legal marriage there, then see answers above. If not, the two of you need to get legally married, for example in the UK.
John

Oxford

Post by Oxford » Sun May 15, 2011 11:06 pm

John wrote:Using your numbering :-
  1. Assuming your marriage is recognised in Pakistan as a legal marriage, and not "just" a religious ceremony, then under the terms of the UK's Foreign Marriages Act 1892 it is also recognised as a legal marriage by the UK.
  2. Is the marriage certificate in English? If not then you need to supply that marriage certificate and a certified translation into English. What other evidence? Have a look at the form FLR(M).
  3. If the marriage in Pakistan is recognised as a legal marriage there, then see answers above. If not, the two of you need to get legally married, for example in the UK.
John,

Thank you.

1. It is a legal marriage and our marriage certificate is in English and it is certified by Government of Punjab, Pakistan. So you reckon we don't need to register our marriage in UK????

I have one more question,

1. As i mentioned in my first post that i am currently on Tier 1 General Visa. I have done two master degrees (MSc & MBA) in UK, Do i still need to take English language test to apply for spouse visa???

Thank You

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 16, 2011 6:44 am

It is a legal marriage
As the Government of Pakistan recognises you as legally married, so does the Government of the UK also recognise you as legally married, under the terms of the UK's Foreign Marriages Act 1892.

English test? Have a look at .... click here.
John