ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Benefit Advice much appreciated

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

hazuki
Newly Registered

Benefit Advice much appreciated

Post by hazuki » Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 am

Hi guys ,
im claiming ESA income based single ,im a uk national born over here and my wife is indian national with no recourse to public funds ,is it possible to claim jointly for ESA income based for couples without going against the the public funds rule ,i am the main claimant of my claim however getting enough money for a single person is tough

any advice is much appreciated.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Re: Benefit Advice much appreciated

Post by mochyn » Tue May 17, 2011 6:36 am

hazuki wrote:Hi guys ,
im claiming ESA income based single ,im a uk national born over here and my wife is indian national with no recourse to public funds ,is it possible to claim jointly for ESA income based for couples without going against the the public funds rule ,i am the main claimant of my claim however getting enough money for a single person is tough

any advice is much appreciated.
Under the settlement route your wife's passport should be annotated with ''no recourse to public funds''.
This means that you cannot claim additional benefits for your wife.
This is one of the main reasons that those without an income are refused visas as it is very difficult for a married couple to survive on a single man's benefits.
You just have to tough it out unless one of you finds employment