ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US wife and UK husband live in UK but...

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hughjars99
Newly Registered

US wife and UK husband live in UK but...

Post by hughjars99 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Hi, I'm hoping that this is a very quick and easy question to answer.

My wife is a US citizen that lives with me in the UK. I am a UK citizen and my wife came to live here with me in 2007 on a spouse visa. Since then she has applied for and been granted her ILR and everything has been great.

But she misses her family a lot and we've made the decision to pursue a move back to the States.

My question is this though - because we both live in the UK and because we do not want to do the living in separate countries again while we sort our paperwork and application, is it possible for her to file the I-130 form petitioning for me to move to the States with her, while she lives outside of the US?

I'm hoping that where she lives isnt going to be an issue and that we can complete the application while remaining in the UK.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Wed May 18, 2011 12:21 pm

i can't answer the US related query but are you aware of the returning residents rules and the fact that your wife's ILR may lapse if she lives outside the UK for 2 years or more? Has your wife considering applying for British Citizenship before you move back to the states?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm

She doesn't have to move to the US by herself. You can do everything from the UK. Research DCF (Direct Consular Filing).