ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

unemployment in UK. why do we need people.from abroad?

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pinkotai
Newly Registered

unemployment in UK. why do we need people.from abroad?

Post by pinkotai » Fri May 20, 2011 11:05 am

With raising unemployment and job cuts in the public sector, more and more people are fighting for a single job. For example, if we take IT, unlike the previous decade when people from India, found job very easily due to shortage of skill at that time,nowadays it is hard to get a job with proper salary that will make both ends meet.

I for one, an Indian by birth, came from Africa quite a while ago when I was an infant, a UK citizen and made this country my home. I have mortgage and I have all the other commitment which a normal UK middle-class household has. I haven't got a salary hike or bonus in the past couple of years and it is a struggle to make ends meet, let alone any savings.

I am sure this is the case for most of the UK households. Job opportunities are less and even if I get selected I am in the bottom of the list because of my salary demand. The person who is higher up in the selection list has less demands and agree for less salary mainly because they are single and they don't have any other commitments and mainly they come here with a visa and take the job by under cutting the pay.

Not only me but most of the people I know both Asian and native British feel the same way

The current immigration law is far better than the labour laws in restricting economic migration which is putting a strain on the infrastructures of this country.

I know many of you will disagree but we as a nation have to make sure that economic migrants are restricted and illegal migrants are deported.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri May 20, 2011 11:57 am

What you fail to take into account is that there isn't a direct relationship between economic migrants, unemployment rates and jobs available.

For example, if you have 100 British people unemployed and you have 100 jobs available, it doesn't mean that it's a bad thing to get in economic migrants to fill the gap rather than local people. Unemployment figures fail to take into account that the 100 British people might all be engineers and the 100 jobs are all for accountants. And what if the 100 Brits were all in Glasgow and all the jobs were in London? Generalised, national statistics do not take all this into account.

People often think of the labour market as unskilled, unspecified and geography is often just left out.

The high unemployment rate amongst law graduates is not necessarily related to economic migration, rather than to the popularity of law degrees not so long ago. (It's not as easy for economic migrants to get into law as opposed to IT or other sectors).

And another thing you are not thinking about is that especially in the case of skilled employment, often they bring more jobs. For example, because I joined my company, we can finally move forward on some projects, which would mean two more people need to be employed. If I wasn't here, that would be three less jobs available.

Then think about what the skilled people are doing here - most don't just come and don't contribute economically. Most of my salary is pumped back into the economy creating even more work (even those law graduates might become employed if I need them). I create work for the bartender in the pub, for the telephone installation technicians, for the cashiers at my shop, for the train driver taking me to work, for the quarantine facility I have to have my dogs in, for the travel agent when I want to travel, for the banker, post office clerk, council worker, doctor, nurses etc etc etc.

I see your point, but there are two ways of looking at the same situation. By getting more people in to consume more services, you also create employment.

bash
BANNED

Post by bash » Fri May 20, 2011 2:40 pm

well written :)mulderpf

jrge

Post by jrge » Fri May 20, 2011 11:15 pm

Well, here's where Macroeconomics met common sense!

Kudos to you mulderpf!
Life is short, so let's get moving!
* Passport received: Family Permit approved AUG-22, 2011
* Landed in the UK: DEC-04TH-2011
* Received RC: MAR-21ST-2012
* Back to North-America Jul 2012

aayushd
Newly Registered

Post by aayushd » Wed May 25, 2011 4:08 pm

Exactly.

And no offence to unskilled natives. In my case i did had computer course in school. Did my engineering in Computer science and my M.Tech from one of the finest institutes in India. I also worked in an product MNC for 7 years before coming here. Although i am a permanent employee here and charge too less than contractors, i have helped saving the whole project from being outsourced to India.

And outsourcing the whole project in India means - I would be not paying rent for the house in London i am living in. I would not be paying NI and huge tax. I would not be travelling London-India and back 2 times a year. I would not be buying grocery & other stuff. Also i wont be eating out here or using transport of London. So lot of jobs may have tiny little impact from people like us.

I also plan to join a university for part time research and teaching. Hopefully i can help more people here to get into skilled jobs..But my request to them -> Please charge the amount which is affordable for the project :-).

prisat
Member of Standing

Re: unemployment in UK. why do we need people.from abroad?

Post by prisat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:06 am

pinkotai wrote:With raising unemployment and job cuts in the public sector, more and more people are fighting for a single job. For example, if we take IT, unlike the previous decade when people from India, found job very easily due to shortage of skill at that time,nowadays it is hard to get a job with proper salary that will make both ends meet.

I for one, an Indian by birth, came from Africa quite a while ago when I was an infant, a UK citizen and made this country my home. I have mortgage and I have all the other commitment which a normal UK middle-class household has. I haven't got a salary hike or bonus in the past couple of years and it is a struggle to make ends meet, let alone any savings.

I am sure this is the case for most of the UK households. Job opportunities are less and even if I get selected I am in the bottom of the list because of my salary demand. The person who is higher up in the selection list has less demands and agree for less salary mainly because they are single and they don't have any other commitments and mainly they come here with a visa and take the job by under cutting the pay.

Not only me but most of the people I know both Asian and native British feel the same way

The current immigration law is far better than the labour laws in restricting economic migration which is putting a strain on the infrastructures of this country.

I know many of you will disagree but we as a nation have to make sure that economic migrants are restricted and illegal migrants are deported.
You are right.... Government should have taken steps long back. For some years, VISA system was abused and people faked and got their VISA approved and got into unskilled jobs while they had a skilled VISA.

And with respect to the salary, YES boss. It is company's call. We cant help. If someone who can contribute the same skill to a less salary, why should i be giving him more salary to hire him. Even i have had pitch backs. But cant help. That is how it works in most of the companies. More skills are available for the requirement and hence less salary. As far as niche skills are concerned, they attract high salaries too from specific domain / company.

Verdict : You should have planned things before you took a loan :) about the affordability and ur saving factor after all montly dues and payments. Now it is too late. Anyways keep trying - trying and trying. One or the other day, you may succeed in securign a good job with ur expected salary. And cost of living in UK is more - more and more.
After the government in UK, dont give full dental coverage thru NI, But daily spends millions and millions of pounds in Libya for a useless cause. Poor thing - you brits sit and watch.
God save us :roll:
Disclaimer :

I am not from a law firm or an attorney who provide Consultation for Immigration to UK.
Information that i provide is not the same as legal advice or legal advises. Use the message (s) and information at your own risk.

scottferguson
Newly Registered

Post by scottferguson » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:58 pm

There is another point. What is the reason why the developed world become developed? This is because of a percentage of people(maybe 30%) in the country who are hardworking as well as smart. One can say they deserve a good lifestyle because they were hardworking and intelligent. The majority in the country(70%) reap the benefits of what is the result of the smartness of the top 30% just because they are born in the country. However there are many people who have the same potential and hardworking mentality who were not so lucky to enjoy nowhere near the same living standards because they are in a different country. Unfair?

Now as the borders are disappearing people in the developed countries are feeling pressure. Why? A person is a third world country have to try twice as hard as a person in a developed country to reach somewhere good because of his less privileges and circumstances. Now when it comes to a job the person from the developed country who had all the privileges wants the job over an economic migrant who is cheaper-but what is it that he can bring extra to the table? If they want more money for the same quality job they are dragging the businesses and country back.

The ones who made use of their privileged circumstances given by the country and provide that extra talent over the competition will never complain about all this. They are in good positions in goverments ,businesses and politics. Why is it that the goverments and businesses never take a blind anti-immigration policy as per the wishes of the majority of the country. I think it is because they know the facts.

Illegal immigrants are a different issue altogether though.