ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Work Permit Holder eligible for Temp Assignment in EU?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jlmeyer
Newly Registered

UK Work Permit Holder eligible for Temp Assignment in EU?

Post by jlmeyer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Hi All.

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere on the forum, as my search did not reveal relevant results.

I'm a US citizen residing in the UK with a valid work permit with a UK based Accounting / consulting firm. My question is, can I legal travel to other countries, specifically mainland Europe, on a short term basis (a couple weeks at a time, max) to perform work on behalf of my UK employer.

I think my US passport would permit short-term stays in most other EU countries for business purposes without specific visas.

Thanks all

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:13 pm

Yes, I do this under HSMP as I frequently go to Ireland for business.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:30 pm

lynn132 wrote:Yes, I do this under HSMP as I frequently go to Ireland for business.
Are you referring to Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?
Where there is a will there is a way.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UK Work Permit Holder eligible for Temp Assignment in EU

Post by Wanderer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:04 pm

jlmeyer wrote:I think my US passport would permit short-term stays in most other EU countries for business purposes without specific visas.

Thanks all
I'd suggest that visa-waiver agreements refer to visitor/tourist activities not business.

So if you get checked at immigration control in say, Germany, how do you answer the question:

"What is the purpose of your visit?"

If you say 'business' I feel the next question might be 'But you have no business visa"

If you say 'tourism' then you would be entering fraudulently.

Just my thoughts!

Steve

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:16 pm

Chess wrote:
lynn132 wrote:Yes, I do this under HSMP as I frequently go to Ireland for business.
Are you referring to Northern Ireland or Republic of Ireland?
Republic of Ireland

jlmeyer
Newly Registered

Post by jlmeyer » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:57 pm

Actually, I'm looking to assertain if my UK work permit has any PROHIBITIONS against my work-related activities in other countries for a UK firm. I think short-term business trips (where I'm not actually employed by a resident firm) are covered by the Visa Waiver Programs in effect between the US and many European countries, independent of the UK.

For example, in Norway, US citizens do not require a visa to enter the country for stays up to 90 days. Norway will grant a visitor's visa if you "intend to travel to Norway as a tourist, on a family visit, on public business or a business trip, a study visit or other business which does not require a work or residence permit." (http://www.udi.no/upload/Faktaark/Engel ... sk0601.pdf)

This initial visitor's visa is valid for up to 90 days from entry. Its my understanding that the US has similar programs with many other countries.