ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR & public fund

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

majaseem
Newly Registered

ILR & public fund

Post by majaseem » Tue May 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi John and others,

I found you as a genious , My wife and my self both currently got EEA family permit visa holder through my french citizen brother. we are planning to apply ILR in July 2011 after 10 yrs of mine. we both joinly claim child benefit & Child tax credit . Will this be a probelm for my ILR . If so can I cancel the benefit before apply for ILR . please advise Urgent.
Thank very much in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed May 25, 2011 8:16 pm

I am struggling to understand how you and your wife have any ability to claim any benefits. As I see it, please confirm, neither of you is living with an EEA National. Is that correct?
John

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR & public fund

Post by Greenie » Thu May 26, 2011 9:54 am

majaseem wrote:Hi John and others,

I found you as a genious , My wife and my self both currently got EEA family permit visa holder through my french citizen brother. we are planning to apply ILR in July 2011 after 10 yrs of mine. we both joinly claim child benefit & Child tax credit . Will this be a probelm for my ILR . If so can I cancel the benefit before apply for ILR . please advise Urgent.
Thank very much in advance.
You can't apply for ILR if you are here under the EEA Regulations. You acquire PR after 5 years of being here in accordance with the regs.

You seem to be suggesting that you are going to apply for ILR under the 10 year rule - have I understood this correctly?

majaseem
Newly Registered

ILR & public fund

Post by majaseem » Sun May 29, 2011 6:31 am

Hi John ,Greenie and others,
Thanks very much for your replies and My wife & myself both living with my brothers family. we got the EU family permit under extended family category. I came to uk in 2001 as a student and later got work permit and In 2008 we both got EU family permit through my French citizen brother. I was told that after 10 years of my stay legally in uk eligibal to apply ILR. please correct me if you wrong. Hope this information help to undestand my situation. please help. Thanks again.
I would expect both of your reply please.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 29, 2011 7:44 am

I was told that after 10 years of my stay legally in uk eligibal to apply ILR. please correct me if you wrong.
You are wrong. In 2008 you moved to the EEA route and that re-set the clock. But after 5 years of exercising Treaty Rights in the UK, sometime in 2013, you can apply for PR .... Permanent Residence .... the EEA-route equivalent of ILR.
John

majaseem
Newly Registered

ILR & public fund

Post by majaseem » Sun May 29, 2011 10:31 pm

Hi John,
Thanks very much for the reply and highly appreciated , however my query was claiming the benefit as I mentioned we are, will this effect the rights of our ILR in 5 year of completion on EU family permit .
Thanks in advance.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon May 30, 2011 2:56 am

See also 2.3.8.
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 am

sushdmehta, thanks for pointing out about 2.3.8. Interesting.

majaseem, I am not sure that you living with your brother assists with the benefits, as regards an application for ILR.
John

majaseem
Newly Registered

ILR & public fund

Post by majaseem » Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 am

Hi John & Sushmehta: Thanks again currently I am living with my brothers family , however on benefit we claim seperate to my brothers family.
Sushmehta: Thanks again. section 2.3.8, I read through few times I couldn't get If our time spending as EEA family count for Long time residency or not. my undestanding was on 2nd paragragh on 2.3.8 says NO to count as lawful residence. however 3rd paragraph says YES to count as lawful residence. which relevant to our circumstances.

Please John and Susmehta help me to clarify this and also I am not clear on "SUBJECT TO IMMIGRATION CONTROL & LEAVE TO ENTER OR REMAIN" context please .

Thanks again for both of you and all others.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue May 31, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks again currently I am living with my brothers family , however on benefit we claim separate to my brothers family.
That is exactly the point that concerns me. I am not at all sure you are entitled to claim those benefits.
John