ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

GNIB Card for 1 year!? WHY?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kate_78
Newly Registered

GNIB Card for 1 year!? WHY?

Post by Kate_78 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:21 pm

I'm furious!!!! Absolutely!
I've got my spousal working permit for 2 years, stamp 1.
Went to Immigration office to renew GNIB card, they granted it for ONE year! What is it? WHY one year if I have permit for 2 years?
My husband has stamp 4 and he's got GNIB for 2 years.
Has anybody met the same preblem?

acme4242

Post by acme4242 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:45 pm

its the Irish way...
many times kind, often incompetent...

Kate_78
Newly Registered

Post by Kate_78 » Wed May 25, 2011 3:50 pm

do you mean I have rights to complain about it?

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Wed May 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Kate_78 wrote:do you mean I have rights to complain about it?
Unfortunately, you have no right to complain. The length of the permission stamp on your passport is at the discretion of the GNIB Officer who stamps it.

The reason you would have received only one year is most likely due to the current economic climate as it is by no means guaranteed that you will remain in the same employment for those two years.

Kate_78
Newly Registered

Post by Kate_78 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 pm

How tired I am from all this crap!
I can't travel normally, when I want, not when GNIB allows to do so.
Have to sit here as a prisoner as Shengen States demand 3 months Gnib validity after return, USA - 6 months.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed May 25, 2011 7:01 pm

acme4242 wrote:its the Irish way...
many times kind, often incompetent...
Unlikely to be incompetent but intentional in light of the current economic situation. How many people, regardless of their nationality can be guaranteed to have jobs for the next 1-2 years.

Also, its a money spinner.

Assuming the person got their residence under domestic law, Its there any fixed policy, law or rules as to how many years one is entitled too?

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Wed May 25, 2011 8:35 pm

Back before I became naturalized, I only got 1-year stamp 4 renewals as well. I never really considered kicking up a fuss about it (even though my spouse is an EU national) since my local garda station is very quiet, making the renewal process quick and easy.

I would be willing to wager that in the OP's case, the officer who processed the stamp didn't even bother looking at the expiry date. One year is probably the default setting on the computer software and he didn't think to change it.

amk81
Newly Registered

Post by amk81 » Wed May 25, 2011 10:16 pm

Sorry to hear this kate.

Ireland is probably the only 'developed' country in the world that takes immigrants for a ride with no appeal system. I became fed up with the way Irish govt treats immigrants, the way my company (a reputed multinational) was taking adv. of the economic condition to freeze our salaries for the past 3 yrs, though globally it is announcing profits every year, and the way my standard of living was going down.

So in the end, decided to leave it for good, and am leaving next week.

Irisheddy

GNIB

Post by Irisheddy » Thu May 26, 2011 12:29 am

I think anyone who has ever visited GNIB office wll agree that immigrants are treated like second class citizens. It is disgraceful the way they have to queue for hours on end and then get treated like dirt by pompous officials.

Kate_78
Newly Registered

Post by Kate_78 » Thu May 26, 2011 11:35 am

sideshowsue wrote: I would be willing to wager that in the OP's case, the officer who processed the stamp didn't even bother looking at the expiry date. One year is probably the default setting on the computer software and he didn't think to change it.
He definitely did bother to take a look at the expiry date as he told me he can't grant GNIB card till december 12, we had an argue, I asked for supervisor help, but it didn't work, he walked to supervisor and came back with the same groundless answer, one year.

amk81, thanks for sympathy, the way they treat immigrants here unbelievably rude!

cocoa123

Re: GNIB Card for 1 year!? WHY?

Post by cocoa123 » Fri May 27, 2011 11:48 pm

Kate_78 wrote:WHY one year if I have permit for 2 years?
Wellcome to the club. It's always beeng that way - 1 year. Extra money collected from you, extra control on you as an alien. GNIB don't take migrant's interests in account in any aspect, treating them as working robots not people.

amk81
Newly Registered

Post by amk81 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:00 am

Hi Kate,

I enquired with another colleague of mine who's wife is also working, she also gets one year GNIB stamps only, even though my colleague gets 2 yrs Stamp 4s. Seems unfortunately this is the rule for everyone.

Regards.