ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa and disabled sponsor

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

luna11
Newly Registered

spouse visa and disabled sponsor

Post by luna11 » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi i have found this forum very helpful, reading all the posts related to my situation.

But need clarity on my situation so please advised me if i am wrong.

Been in relationship for 2 years with my filipino wife and been to see her 3 times and now want her to apply for a spouse visa.

I am british receiving disabilty benefit - ESA IR/CB, DLA, SDP Premium, Carers Premium, and recieve 100% HB and CTB for my rented accomodation.

With regards to financial test I have £240.30 a week left after deduct my outgoings.
I will lose £55.30 SDP Premiun when she arrive here to live with me which give us a new total £195.00 after deduct my outgoings.

I have 6 months bank statements showing i am saving around £800 a month apart from 1 month which i used some to go and visit her and now my total is £4200 in savings.

Will this be enough to pass the financial test? which is based on income support rate for a couple at £105.00 a week.

As she will be coming here as my carer and the ruling states that if you sponsor your spouse as a carer and you state she will be helping you to meet you care needs, then the money you get from income support and DLA will be counted towards the maintenance requirement for your spouse.

It mentioned on a previous post on this forum:-
9.3.2.2 Disabled sponsor

When MK (Somalia) v Entry Clearance Officer was heard in the Court of Appeal
the outcome was different ([2007] EWCA Civ 1521). The Court of Appeal held that
the appellant could rely on disability living allowance paid to his spouse for
the purpose of establishing that she would be adequately maintained without
recourse to public funds. The sponsor proposed to use her DLA to support her
husband to be her carer. This was a way of meeting her needs by use of the DLA,
and a matter of her choice. This is the first Court of Appeal authority on this
point, and changes the direction of case law on the capacity of disabled
sponsors to support their spouse.

In addition to disability living allowance the sponsor received an enhanced
level of income support. This, by agreement of the parties, was incorporated
into the calculation of the figure for adequate maintenance.
If i have passed the financial test my only concern is this paragragh on the border agency website:-
The question to be considered is whether additional recourse to public funds will be necessary if the applicant is granted leave to enter.
1) This is what i think will answer the above paragragh as to why I will not be receiving any additional funds:-
1) Income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance and income related
employment and support allowance
If your partner is not a ‘person subject to immigration control’ (see p56) but you are, s/he can claim IS, income-related ESA and income-based JSA under the normal rules, but s/he will not receive any benefit for you or any other family member who is a ‘person subject to immigration control’. Full housing costs are payable.35 You are still treated as a couple, so your joint resources are taken into account.
The above is stated in the rules see in CPAG Benefits for Migrants Handbook 5th edition.

Also my DLA and Carers Premium does not have any additional amount for a couple.

2) I am already receiving 100% Housing benefit and council tax benefit.
The rent i pay is fixed for 3 years as stated in the tenancy agreement so therefore there is no additional HB or CTB.

3) As my wife will be living with me I shall no longer be entitled to SDP as it is only payable when i am living alone so therefore i wll receive £55.30 less.

Please can anyone advised me if i am correct or have i missed something?

gmbilal007
Newly Registered

Post by gmbilal007 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:19 am

hi

That is a really important matter and i can help alot of people if some body will answer these qustion im also waiting for reply
Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:35 am

Are you on contribution based or income based ESA? How much do you get per week for ESA – what premiums and additional payments do you get? As I understand it, if you are on income based ESA and get a higher amount than the standard income support rate (i.e. 67.50 per week for a single person) this is the minimum you are expected to need to live on due to your disability and therefore if you get more than £67.50 per week ESA you would need to show more than the £105 per week for a couple as your needs are higher.

If you broke down what you get for each benefit (not HB and CTB) then this would be easier to advise you

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Greenie wrote: If you broke down what you get for each benefit (not HB and CTB) then this would be easier to advise you
benefit payable to me
DLA, £275.40 every 4 weeks ave £68.85 a week
EESA, . £361.10 every 2 weeks ave £180.55 a week see below
(ESA WRAG £94.25, Severe Disabilty Prem £55.30 and Carers Prem £31.00)
RENT £166.16 every 2 weeks ave £83.08 a week
CTB reduced to NIL
Total ave £332.48 a week

less regular Outgoings not food etc as it not included in financial test
rent £300 a month ave £69.23 a week
electric ave £4 a week
gas ave £4 a week
other ave £4 week
CTB reduced to NIL
Total £81.23 a week outgoings

New Total left £251.25

The reason why i included my rent allowance is that i get £13.85 more a week in rent payable to me than the rent i pay my landlord.

Also will have about £5000 in savings when do the spouse visa .

But i am thinking of changing my benefit from esa to income support as I believe it would be more benefical to my wife spouse visa application:-
1) as being on income support i can refer to the same benefit as in the caselaw of the above appeal, where being on esa it is not the same wording or meaning.

2) On income support i would have the disabilty premium of £28.85 payable at the single rate where on esa it is not available.

3) Also income support is more straightforward for the entry officer to work out than esa.

Would you agree?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:07 pm

As you receive £180.55 per week in ESA, I would say that this is the minimum amount the government says you need to live on. This is £113.05 per week more than the single person’s rate of income support (without any premiums), therefore in order to show that you and your wife would have an income equivalent to income support in your circumstances, think you need to show you have £105.95 + £113.05 = £218.28 per week after council tax, rent and loan repayments have been paid. Note you do not have to deduct utility bills to get to this figure.

Using your figures:

You’ll have

£180.55 in ESA
£68.85 in DLA
£13.85 in excess HB (note you are likely to lose this when your HB is next up for your yearly review as the rules have been changed to not allow excess HB to be paid).

Total= £263.25

As your rent and council tax are covered there is no need to make any deductions from this. Do you have any on going loan repayments?

I therefore think you have sufficient income as you can use your DLA to support your wife/to save money on a carer etc as per the case law you have posted.

In addition your savings will also help you.

I am not a benefits advisor but as I understand it ESA replaced income support paid because of a disability and so I am not sure you could switch to income support now, I could be wrong though. In any event on the figures you have given it doesn’t seem necessary. Effectively whether you are on ESA or IS with disability premium, that amount would be for you and your excess income from DLA can be used for your wife so switching to IS (if it were possible) which is a less favourable benefit does not seem to me to be a good idea.

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:02 pm

Thank you so much Greenie for your detailed advice, i am grateful that you have taken the time to explain this to me but i am not confident of explaining this myself to the embassy as i do not know how to explain the caselaw and the benefit law to them, i need a experience person to point out to them that as a result of my wife being here with me in uk i would not be receiving additional benefit, i know i will only be getting the single rate when she here as she be subject to immigration control with no recourse to public fund but it explaining the benefit rules tand caselaw rules o the embassy is something that i dont have any expertise and one fault move in the application form will result in a refusal as it not only about how much i have to support my wife, it how you explain the rules to them as to why she will not be enable me to get additional public funds that it so complex to me are you a immigration lawyer?

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:31 am

Hi I just want say how my situation went, as I been getting private messages from people who are in similar situation on public funds, asking how did my wife visa application go.
I am very happy to say that my wife is now here in UK, she arrived last September, Praise God!.
I hired Steve Grosvenor for his expertise, positive outlook on my wife visa situation and his humility in the way he communicate with me as I am profound deaf with speech impediment.
Before I approached Steve, the advice I was receiving from some immigration lawyers was negative as I am receiving disability benefits (public funds) but as a born again christian, my faith in God has kept me strong and I was led by the Lord to choose Steve, the outcome of my wife spouse visa application was successful in only 7 days (from time of application with ECO) Praise God!.
I want to thank Greenie for his advice and gmbilal007 for his encouragement.
May God bless you!

lee-d
Newly Registered

Post by lee-d » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 pm

hi,please can someone give me the contact number for,
Steve Grosvenor ,as it looks like he did a great job for you and i hope he can help me,cheers

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:39 pm

lee-d wrote:hi,please can someone give me the contact number for,
Steve Grosvenor ,as it looks like he did a great job for you and i hope he can help me,cheers
Steve Grosvenor,
UK Immigration Lawyer
QualitySolicitors Talbots
SteveGrosvenor@talbotslaw.co.uk
0044(0)1384 44 77 77

lee-d
Newly Registered

Post by lee-d » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

hi,thanks for the reply,,

please could you tell me if you lived local to him or you had to travel and how many times you saw him etc,,its just i live in preston so im a long way away,,
also please could you give me some idea of cost eg his fees and also anything else,its just im on alot less than you,
thank you for your help.

pm me if you wish

cheers lee

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:07 pm

lee-d wrote:hi,thanks for the reply,,

please could you tell me if you lived local to him or you had to travel and how many times you saw him etc,,its just i live in preston so im a long way away,,
also please could you give me some idea of cost eg his fees and also anything else,its just im on alot less than you,
thank you for your help.

pm me if you wish

cheers lee
Hi i have sent you a pm

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:23 pm

thank you for your help.

pm me if you wish

cheers lee
it doesn't appear that Talbots solicitors offer free legal help, which you would be entitlted to if you are on a low income - and they are also obviously a significant distance from you.

I would suggest trying an organisation closer to you - with complex cases like this you will need to travel to see your solicitor/adviser which will be difficult and expensive if they are a significant distance away.

Assuming you mean you are from Preston in Lancashire, you could try:

Greater Manchester Immigration Aid Unit
1 Delaunay's Road
Crumpsall Green
M8 4QS
Tel: 0161 740 7722

which although still about 30 miles from you have a good reputation and have offer free legal help (legal aid).

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Greenie wrote:

thank you for your help.

pm me if you wish

cheers lee
it doesn't appear that Talbots solicitors offer free legal help, which you would be entitlted to if you are on a low income - and they are also obviously a significant distance from you.

).
Talbots do offer free legal help.

But when I enquired with the legal aid advice helplines in my area last year, if legal aid was avaliable for assistance with spouse visa applications they said no it was not allowed

You do not need to visit a immigration lawyer to enquire about your situation, this can be done via phone post and email.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:55 pm

luna11 wrote:
Greenie wrote:

thank you for your help.

pm me if you wish

cheers lee

).
Talbots do offer free legal help.

But when I enquired with the legal aid advice helplines in my area last year, if legal aid was avaliable for assistance with spouse visa applications they said no it was not allowed

You do not need to visit a immigration lawyer to enquire about your situation, this can be done via phone post and email.
legal aid is available for spouse visa applications.

A legal aid supplier is not able to advice a client outside of their area unless they client is unable to find an adviser in their region.

Complex legal matters require the client to meet the adviser - advice by email or post alone is rarely adequate. A legal aid provider cannot accept instructions from a client by post unless the client is unable to travel to their offices (for example due to being detained or in hospital).

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Hi Greenie
My wife spouse visa application was very complicated as I am on public funds as you are aware, I am profound deaf with speech impediment, so it suited me to do it online, providing your lawyer is prepared to communicate with you online then there should not be any problems. It is easier for people with a disability to do it online and it is less stressful for them.

As for getting legal aid for spouse visa applications. I can only go by my own personal experience when I contacted CLA for legal aid in my area to assist with spouse visa application they said no it was not allowed.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:58 pm

Whether a person with a disability would find it easier to be advised in writing depends on the nature of the disability. In most cases face to face advice is more effective and necessary although understandably if you are profoundly deaf then this may not be the case.

I am speaking from professional rather than personal experience and can assure you that free legal help is currently available for spouse visa applications and if your solicitor has a contract with the lsc they would know this and should have assessed your eligibility.

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:25 am

For me I am glad that I was not entitled to any free legal aid to assist my wife visa application, as this would have been done by someone in my local area but God closed the door on my legal aid application and guided me to Steve Grosvenor whose expertise in dealing with my complex case, humility iand kindness in the way he dealt with my communication problems provided a successful outcome for my wife spouse visa application in just 7 days from time with ECO.
I praised the Lord Jesus for this MIRACLE, Hallelujah! Praise God

blumango

Post by blumango » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:23 am

hi all,

im assisting my long term friend who recently had a accident which blinded him and consequently cost his job. he is getting dla and esa. he got married outside the eu.

i have done all the calculations and confident he will meet the maintenance criteria. overall application seems straight forward.

my question is has anyone any advice and has anyone else submitted the application themselves without the need of solicitor?

sadly, there seems no sample letters/templates for applicants whos sponsor is on dla. can someone pm me with these relevant to my situation?

moreover, is there any websites/links on a guide on how to approach and deal with the spouse visa application from a disabled sponsor's perspective?

im happy to create a thread/website outlining a guide for such persons. i can however only do this once i have been through the process myself.

appreciate your help

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

blumango wrote:hi all,

im assisting my long term friend who recently had a accident which blinded him and consequently cost his job. he is getting dla and esa. he got married outside the eu.

i have done all the calculations and confident he will meet the maintenance criteria. overall application seems straight forward.

my question is has anyone any advice and has anyone else submitted the application themselves without the need of solicitor?

sadly, there seems no sample letters/templates for applicants whos sponsor is on dla. can someone pm me with these relevant to my situation?

moreover, is there any websites/links on a guide on how to approach and deal with the spouse visa application from a disabled sponsor's perspective?

im happy to create a thread/website outlining a guide for such persons. i can however only do this once i have been through the process myself.

appreciate your help
hI blumango, I admire the fact that you are helping your freind with his visa application, but I strongly disagree about your quote that his overall application is straightforward while in receipts of public funds. Also I am alarmed that you are even thinking of doing his application without the expertise of a good immigration lawyer. Your friend will most likely have only 1 chance at this, as the deadline is fast approaching in June where even tougher requirements are expected to come into force, so my advise to you is to find him a lawyer ASAP, who clearly knows what they are doing and who have successfully assisted people on public funds before. I have listed in my above posts an excellent lawyer, if you do this yourself then you will run the risk of the ECO finding holes in your freind application.

blumango

Post by blumango » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:20 am

luna11 please check your pm i need some info.

p.s do you really think new rules will apply to disabled sponsors? if so it means disabled people will be denied of family life which will be a shocker and political suicide.

luna11
Newly Registered

Post by luna11 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:10 pm

blumango wrote:luna11 please check your pm i need some info.

p.s do you really think new rules will apply to disabled sponsors? if so it means disabled people will be denied of family life which will be a shocker and political suicide.
It not only disabled sponsors but everyone will be affected, as they are proposing to bring in a new income requirement for spouse/fiance visas in June, that possible half the country will not be able to meet the new income requirement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eform.html

I agree that it is shocking, as there is nothing wrong with the existing spouse/fiance visa rules, which are very fair for everyone including people on public funds, which is as long you can prove that you have enough to support your loved one, which should be no less than that of the income support level for a couple as set out in case law
KA and Others Pakistan [2006] UKAIT 00065.(Adequacy of maintenance)

I really hope that people with influence, will protest strongly against the new proposals.

blumango

Post by blumango » Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:27 pm

The new financial requirements effective from 9 july 2012.

under para 91 of the statement of intent sponsors in receipt of Disability Living Allowance are exempt from the new financial minimum threshold.

Guessing this relieves some stress from disabled sponsors.

n.b from early 2013 this exemption may be subject to change.

Best wishes

xb23
Newly Registered

Post by xb23 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:35 am

luna11 wrote:
blumango wrote:luna11 please check your pm i need some info.

It not only disabled sponsors but everyone will be affected, as they are proposing to bring in a new income requirement for spouse/fiance visas in June, that possible half the country will not be able to meet the new income requirement.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eform.html

I agree that it is shocking, as there is nothing wrong with the existing spouse/fiance visa rules, which are very fair for everyone including people on public funds, which is as long you can prove that you have enough to support your loved one, which should be no less than that of the income support level for a couple as set out in case law
KA and Others Pakistan [2006] UKAIT 00065.(Adequacy of maintenance)

I really hope that people with influence, will protest strongly against the new proposals.
I have Pm'ed you. Please check. Thanks.