ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

School won't support bsc PSW applications

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chat_danielle
Newly Registered

School won't support bsc PSW applications

Post by chat_danielle » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Hi. I'm currently studying Bsc (HONS) degree which started Oct. 2010 and will end up around may-june of 2012. Sadly, PSW application will end at APRIL 2012. I was advice by a former student that since I have completed half of the programme I can apply for the PSW under a bsc degree of the course as it's what they've done before. However, my current university won't give me my earned qualification and won't support our application for the psw as they prefer for us to finish the whole bsc (hons) degree. I believe it's because they want us to pay for the course we've taken, but they cannot provide me any pathway for the degree after i've finish it. I'm really confused to what to do. help me please!!

terriblescream
Pakistan

Re: School won't support bsc PSW applications

Post by terriblescream » Fri May 27, 2011 9:31 pm

chat_danielle wrote: I was advice by a former student that since I have completed half of the programme I can apply for the PSW under a bsc degree of the course as it's what they've done before.
Who advised you that?
Unless you don't hold a BSc Degree you cannot get PSW, you have to earn it first!

Tier 4
- thin ice -

Post by Tier 4 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:02 pm

chat_danielle wrote:Hi. I'm currently studying Bsc (HONS) degree which started Oct. 2010 and will end up around may-june of 2012. Sadly, PSW application will end at APRIL 2012. I was advice by a former student that since I have completed half of the programme I can apply for the PSW under a bsc degree of the course as it's what they've done before. However, my current university won't give me my earned qualification and won't support our application for the psw as they prefer for us to finish the whole bsc (hons) degree. I believe it's because they want us to pay for the course we've taken, but they cannot provide me any pathway for the degree after i've finish it. I'm really confused to what to do. help me please!!
The duration of Bsc Hons would always be four years and ordinary degree three years so how come yours will be finish in 2012. Nevertheless if you got 1 or 2 years exemption then you can ask your institute to give you an ordinary degree and then apply PSW on its basis this year. On PSW you can finish you Honours degree as well.
N/A

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun May 29, 2011 9:02 am

Tier 4 wrote:
chat_danielle wrote:Hi. I'm currently studying Bsc (HONS) degree which started Oct. 2010 and will end up around may-june of 2012. Sadly, PSW application will end at APRIL 2012. I was advice by a former student that since I have completed half of the programme I can apply for the PSW under a bsc degree of the course as it's what they've done before. However, my current university won't give me my earned qualification and won't support our application for the psw as they prefer for us to finish the whole bsc (hons) degree. I believe it's because they want us to pay for the course we've taken, but they cannot provide me any pathway for the degree after i've finish it. I'm really confused to what to do. help me please!!
The duration of Bsc Hons would always be four years and ordinary degree three years so how come yours will be finish in 2012. Nevertheless if you got 1 or 2 years exemption then you can ask your institute to give you an ordinary degree and then apply PSW on its basis this year. On PSW you can finish you Honours degree as well.
Most honours degrees in England are three years. It is Scotland where honours degrees are awarded after four years but ordinary degrees can be awarded after three years. An ordinary degree from a Scottish university is offered as a qualification in its own right and is not the same as an ordinary degree from an English university which effectively means you didn't pass your honours degree.

English universities used to offer ordinary degrees courses on which students could enrol however this is more unusual now. An ordinary degree from an English university may be awarded if you don't pass enough of the degree to be awarded third class honours. Whether your institution can award you and ordinary degree before you complete your course will depend on how many modules you have completed and the marks you have achieved. It will also depend on your institution who may not offer an ordinary degree as an exit award to someone who does not complete their course. Instead you could be awarded a lower qualification such as an HND. Would suggest you speak to your student union