ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

leave UK without BRP

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mibaobao
Newly Registered

leave UK without BRP

Post by mibaobao » Fri May 27, 2011 11:00 am

Dear friends:
I received my passport and approval letter today, but still waiting for the BRP.
However, I have a flight booked tomorrow. Shall anyone tell me that can I leave the UK without the BRP? I've got my old visa on my passport which expires on Feb 2012. Then I will ask my friend to send the BRP to me after it arrives, so I can come back to UK with the BRP.
I appreciate your help
Melody

akash08

Re: leave UK without BRP

Post by akash08 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:31 pm

mibaobao wrote:Dear friends:
I received my passport and approval letter today, but still waiting for the BRP.
However, I have a flight booked tomorrow. Shall anyone tell me that can I leave the UK without the BRP? I've got my old visa on my passport which expires on Feb 2012. Then I will ask my friend to send the BRP to me after it arrives, so I can come back to UK with the BRP.
I appreciate your help
Melody
Hi I had exactly the same query and after a lot of research I postponed my travel. There is no clear guideline anywhere on this and asking UKBA does not help.

There are 2 points which influenced me to postpone my travel

1. Someone in this forum who is a guru said that your new visa invalidates the old visa which though I have never seen documented any where seemed reasonable to me.

2. UKBA clearly mentions in the approval letter (which you must have seen) that they strongly advise against travelling until you have received your BRP and if you travel without BRP you may have to apply for visa from abroad (which you can no longer do for T1). I do not know whether they are saying this as a general rule for everyone or they are saying this thinking your old visa has expired but this statement scared me enough.

Anyway there is always another solution which appears full proof to me because they do not check your VISA when you leave the country and that is : at the worst case you can arrnage your BRP to be delivered to you in person by someone traveling to your country (Post is a big risk I would guess in case you loose it and they might decline to carry it anyway). This offcourse assumes you are married/partnered etc. and you have someone here to receive the card on your behalf.

In this forum a guy went to India without getting BRP and with an expired visa and tried his luck with the aproval letter only. He managed to come in and said he would never advise anyone to do it because of the hardship he faced. I think he was just lucky to get a reasonable immigration officer who did not pack him back.

teddy0409

Post by teddy0409 » Fri May 27, 2011 4:59 pm

You cannot travel with out the Biometric Permit,
Just consider as if it has been stamped in your actual passport.

Your old visa is no longer valid and all the airport terminals would have been updated with your new visa details (Biometric Permit) - Finger Print

Strongly Consider legal advice before taking the flight

You can not ask anybody to post your Biometric Permit, since it is part of your own passport.
If Not We, Then Who?