ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can someone apply switching to Tier 1 (G) from Tier2 from UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tier1_aspirant_del

Can someone apply switching to Tier 1 (G) from Tier2 from UK

Post by tier1_aspirant_del » Sat May 28, 2011 11:00 am

Hi,

In the sticky tag http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=60575 I noticed that some people have applied to switch from Tier 2 to Tier 1 (General). My understanding is that from April 1st 2011 nobody can apply for Tier 1 (General) except those already in Tier 1 (G) and wish to extend their stay.

Can someone please clarify this point? A friend of mine is looking to switch to Tier 1 (General) and he is currently on Tier 2 (ICT).

Thanks.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat May 28, 2011 11:45 am

No.
Are you in an eligible immigration category? wrote:You can apply to extend your stay in the UK under Tier 1 (General) if you are already in the UK with permission to stay (known as 'leave to remain') in one of the following immigration categories:
- highly skilled migrant
- writer, composer or artist
- self-employed lawyer
- Tier 1 (General)
- Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP), if you are eligible to switch into Tier 1 (General).

If you are not in one of the categories above, you cannot apply to Tier 1 (General).
Life isn't fair, but you can be!

abbaskhambaty
Newly Registered

Tier 2 ICT to Tier 1 General

Post by abbaskhambaty » Sun May 29, 2011 3:51 pm

From the UK Border Agency website, I understand the Highly skilled Migrants can still apply for Tier 1 General Visa and Tier 2 ICT visa is listed under Highly skilled Migrants . http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... iew=Simple#

however, with almost everyone stating that application to Tier 1 General is closed post 6-Apr-2011, i am not sure if i should apply.
any suggestions are most appreciated

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

Read the text quoted in the post above yours ... carefully!

abbaskhambaty
Newly Registered

Post by abbaskhambaty » Sun May 29, 2011 4:16 pm

hi, exactly my point and confusion :(

it says you are eligible to apply for tier 1 general, "if you are already in the UK with permission to stay (known as 'leave to remain') in one of the following immigration categories:
- highly skilled migrant "

and Tier 2 ICT visa falls under highly skilled migrant.

so does this not qualify for Tier 1 visa?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 29, 2011 4:22 pm

:?

Person with leave to enter / remain under "Highly Skilled Migrant" category is completely different from a person with leave to enter / remain under "Tier 2" immigration category.

Whether you consider a "Tier 2 migrant" as a "highly skilled" migrant or not is irrelevant. It is the person's current immigration status that is of relevance here, not his intellectual ability!

If a migrant's current immigration status is one of the different categories listed, only then can he apply for leave to remain as Tier 1 (General).

abbaskhambaty
Newly Registered

Post by abbaskhambaty » Sun May 29, 2011 4:28 pm

I am sorry for being adamant about this, however I just want to clear it once and for all :-)

so this link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... iew=Simple#
it says -
You are a 'skilled or highly skilled migrant' if you are currently in one of the following immigration categories:

Tier 1 (Exceptional talent)
Tier 1 (General)
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)
Tier 1 (Investor)
Tier 2 (Intra company transfer)

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun May 29, 2011 4:30 pm

You are wishing for a suitable answer without paying (any) attention to what is documented / being told to you.

In simple words, and as has been mentioned multiple times in the topic - you cannot switch (245CA). Period!

xpscapable
Australia

Post by xpscapable » Sun May 29, 2011 5:15 pm

abbaskhambaty wrote:I am sorry for being adamant about this, however I just want to clear it once and for all :-)
Tier 2 ICT is not HSMP. What UKBA means by "highly skilled migrants" is old HSMP scheme which was superseded by Tier 1.

Tier 2 is the replacement for the Work Permit scheme.

abbaskhambaty
Newly Registered

Post by abbaskhambaty » Sun May 29, 2011 5:39 pm

@xpscapable - what you are saying makes sense, however i am very surprised that they are not specifc enough on this front!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 29, 2011 7:18 pm

245CA(f) is specific. It didn't include Tier 2 (Sponsored skilled workers).
abbaskhambaty wrote:so this link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/settl ... iew=Simple#
it says -
You are a 'skilled or highly skilled migrant' if you are currently in one of the following immigration categories:
You're forgetting the words 'skilled or' before 'highly skilled migrant'. Tier 2 belongs under the 'skilled' category.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.