ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Working in another country in my last year on Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NikhilK
Newly Registered

Post by NikhilK » Sat May 28, 2011 4:39 pm

Hi, I have had a steady IT job for the first 2 years of my Tier 1. I have been offered a job in another EU country - a 1 year contract for very good money. I am keen to take it up but i am worried about my extension.

I am planning to leave in July 2011. My visa expires in June 2012.

Most of the 12 months on my extension application will be for work performed outside the UK. Its not a problem from the points perspective, i just wasn't sure if you can claim for money earned in another country. I am aware i need to come back to the UK to extend however a friend mentioned that i might get rejected as the department will consider that i didn't have intentions to stay on (based on the fact i was overseas for the last year of my tier 1) so i wanted to make sure i don't mess things up before i leave just to make some quick cash.

Thanks for your help.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Working in another country in my last year on Tier 1

Post by mvent00 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:47 pm

NikhilK wrote:Hi, I have had a steady IT job for the first 2 years of my Tier 1. I have been offered a job in another EU country - a 1 year contract for very good money. I am keen to take it up but i am worried about my extension.

I am planning to leave in July 2011. My visa expires in June 2012.

Most of the 12 months on my extension application will be for work performed outside the UK. Its not a problem from the points perspective, i just wasn't sure if you can claim for money earned in another country.

Yes, you can claim points for money earned outside UK, but you cannot apply uplift ratio to your foreign earnings, for an extension application.

I am aware i need to come back to the UK to extend however a friend mentioned that i might get rejected as the department will consider that i didn't have intentions to stay on (based on the fact i was overseas for the last year of my tier 1) so i wanted to make sure i don't mess things up before i leave just to make some quick cash.

Thanks for your help.

Celtic

Post by Celtic » Sat May 28, 2011 4:51 pm

You can claim points for overseas earnings. However you might be refused entry by immigration officer as you have clearly failed to make UK your home and seek employment within UK.

mvent00
Diamond Member

Post by mvent00 » Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 pm

Celtic wrote:You can claim points for overseas earnings. However you might be refused entry by immigration officer as you have clearly failed to make UK your home and seek employment within UK.
Well, immigration officers are well aware of the current job crisis in UK and just seeking a job in UK is not enough for an extension application. If someone can earn necessary points for extension, even by staying outside UK, it means that he/she is economically active and have enough resources to survive in UK without accessing public funds.

NikhilK
Newly Registered

Post by NikhilK » Sat May 28, 2011 5:41 pm

Hi, I am not moving because i am unable to get work, i have a better opportunity.

I forgot to mention, the job requires me to work in London 1 day every 2 weeks as well. So i would require a German visa and also to use my Tier 1.

I would be paid in EU - so its not a UK job.

1 Would i have issues every time i come into the UK and immigration ask me the usual 'What is the purpose of your visit?'

2 Would i be able to have an valid German visa and a valid Tier 1 on an Australian passport?

mvent00
Diamond Member

Re: Working in another country in my last year on Tier 1

Post by mvent00 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:22 am

NikhilK wrote:Hi, I am not moving because i am unable to get work, i have a better opportunity.

I forgot to mention, the job requires me to work in London 1 day every 2 weeks as well. So i would require a German visa and also to use my Tier 1.

I would be paid in EU - so its not a UK job.

1 Would i have issues every time i come into the UK and immigration ask me the usual 'What is the purpose of your visit?'

Yes, you may have to explain every time the nature of your work to the immigration officer, and I do not see any reason that why they would not be satisfied? In my personal opinion and experience, there should be no problem as Tier 1 visa is a multiple entry visa. Only problem it may cause is its effect on your ILR (I mean if you wish to apply for ILR), that you might need to go for extra extensions to achieve the time limit required for ILR.

2 Would i be able to have an valid German visa and a valid Tier 1 on an Australian passport?

Yes, it is possible.