ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

US Tourist Visa - First Ever Application

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Plum70
Diamond Member

US Tourist Visa - First Ever Application

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:57 pm

My husband (Swiss) and I (Nigerian) are considering camping for 2 weeks in San Francisco this Sept/Oct.

Supplying documentary evidence showing our strong ties to and stability in the UK and ability to afford the trip is not an issue: I hold a RC, am p/t employed (2 years with my employer), have savings and we have lived in our current flat for over 4 years (and in the UK for 7). We do not want to have a rigid itinerary for the trip except researching what camp sites are where, where to rent a vehicle and a general overview of how much the trip might cost.

I just wonder:

Do I stand a better chance of acceptance if we did have a predetermined plan?

As it's my first ever application and visit to the States do I stand at a slight disadvantage?

I will be quite open at the interview and say that we would rather make up our camping movements/visits as we go along.

Any pitfalls I should be aware would be appreciated - thanx

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Re: US Tourist Visa - First Ever Application

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi - they don't really care what you'll be doing in the US, they only care about why you would want to go back. So, the more evidence of your ties to the UK, the better.

Apart from this, I would advise you not to buy any tickets until you have the visa in your passport.

By the way, I don't know if you qualify, but have you considered applying for British citizenship?

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 29, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Marco,

I can def provide proof of:

1. Continued residence with my husband in the UK.

2. Proof of my continued employment (and that of hubby if required). Besides my most recent payslips and P60s, is there anything else I should be showing?

3. Proof of my stable income and savings (and hubby's if rqd).

4. Access to a 2nd substantial buffer by way of my credit cards in a real emergency.

BC is not an option for at least another 1.5 years or so... However, if the whole visa application process proves too cumbersome (already read a bit about the long wait at the embassy) then I may wait a couple more yrs so that we both can travel stress-free under the visa waiver.

Will see what other prep is rqd for the visa application and interview before making up my mind.

Thanks

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:07 pm

I would leave out the credit cards and include a copy of your mortgage or rental agreement, proof of your husband's employment, and also a letter from your employer saying that you are working for them and expected back ack work on date X.

It's difficult to tell what your chances are. You seem to have good ties to the UK, but the fact that Nigeria has a bad reputation when it comes to visa applications works against you.

If your visa is refused, there is a chance that it might hamper your chances of using the VWP in the future.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:08 pm

I would also leave out the part about the savings.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun May 29, 2011 11:58 pm

Marco 72 wrote:I would leave out the credit cards and include a copy of your mortgage or rental agreement, proof of your husband's employment, and also a letter from your employer saying that you are working for them and expected back ack work on date X.
Ok - no mention of CCs as contingency, but why leave out savings? I reason that proof of my husband's employment is simply to reinforce our ties to the UK - makes sense.
It's difficult to tell what your chances are. You seem to have good ties to the UK, but the fact that Nigeria has a bad reputation when it comes to visa applications works against you.
Not sure I understand: My application should be judged on merit and not on nationality, but even if I satisfy the criteria and am clear about our visit during the interview, their reason for refusal may still be: "She is Nigerian"? That would be sheer lunacy!

Anyway, thanks for the forewarning. I'll give it serious thought.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:20 pm

Plum70 wrote:Ok - no mention of CCs as contingency, but why leave out savings? I reason that proof of my husband's employment is simply to reinforce our ties to the UK - makes sense.
I would only show them that I have enough money for the trip. Anything else is probably none of their business (you can show it if you want, but I would see no reason to share information my financial situation with the US government).
Not sure I understand: My application should be judged on merit and not on nationality, but even if I satisfy the criteria and am clear about our visit during the interview, their reason for refusal may still be: "She is Nigerian"? That would be sheer lunacy!
It sometimes happens to applicants from countries considered to be "at risk" for fraud or terrorism to get stuck in Administrative Processing. If that happens to you, your application may take several additional months.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:28 pm

I see - thanks for all your input.

Lastly, is there a time frame within which I can apply in advance. I know for EU travel, Schengen visas can only be applied for up to 3 months before travel.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:35 am

Plum70 wrote:Lastly, is there a time frame within which I can apply in advance. I know for EU travel, Schengen visas can only be applied for up to 3 months before travel.
As far as I know there are no such restrictions for a B visa. You can apply any time before your trip. In fact, the sooner the better.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Cheers Marco.

Another q - Is it aright just having an idea of when we'd want to travel (say 'around Sept or Oct') or should we have specific dates in case asked?

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:59 am

Plum70 wrote:Cheers Marco.

Another q - Is it aright just having an idea of when we'd want to travel (say 'around Sept or Oct') or should we have specific dates in case asked?
I don't think it should matter. By the way, just a personal suggestion - if I were in your position I would probably wait until I am a British citizen before travelling to the States. If your visa application is rejected (and many of them are), then it will leave you with a "red flag" for life, and you may not be able to use the VWP even after you naturalise.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:21 pm

Marco 72 wrote:By the way, just a personal suggestion - if I were in your position I would probably wait until I am a British citizen before travelling to the States.
My position of being a visa national or having Nigerian nationality?

You sure paint a bleak picture! Is this born from any form of experience - direct or indirect?

atenolol
Newly Registered

Post by atenolol » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:48 pm

did you manage to get ur us visa?

francis5k
BANNED

Post by francis5k » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:09 am

A B2 visa may also be used to enter the United States for certain types of study. Usually, student visas are only given to students attending full-time academic or vocational programs at a United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) approved institution. But if one is traveling to the U.S. primarily for tourism, but while in the U.S. they want to take a short course of study that is recreational and not for credit towards a degree, and the course is less than 18 hours per week, then this is allowed on a B2 visa. An example of this is if one is taking a vacation to the U.S., and during that time they wish to take a two-day cooking class for their enjoyment, and no credit is earned, then this would be permitted on a B2 visa.