ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigrating to USA from UK - have questions

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pepples22
Newly Registered

Immigrating to USA from UK - have questions

Post by pepples22 » Mon May 30, 2011 10:26 pm

Hi All,

I have just joined and I need help (lots of it!!!)

My husband and I really want to immigrate to Florida, USA, but thought the only way was to have lots of money to start a business. So we take the regular vacation every year since we have been married and dream of one day moving to America.

We were out there last week and got taking to someone from UK who has been living out there for a while, we joked with him, how did he manage to do it?? and he said he tried everything but finally found out he had irish heritage and was now living his dream. Unfortuntly he could not talk more as he was working.

My husband mentioned he was irish descent, since being back we have spoken to his parents and at least 4 of his mum's 8 grandparents are irish.

I have google and search for day or two constantly and cannot find anything.

Help is needed.... please help if you know anything the laws and immigration with irish heritage, and does this have any bearing on obtaining a green card.

Thanks

Donna

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm

Perhaps he was referring to the green card lottery? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diversity_Immigrant_Visa

In effect, British citizens are not eligible to participate (unless from Northern Ireland), but Irish citizens are.

I guess the guy you were talking to claimed Irish nationality through his parents/grandparents and subsequently got lucky on the green card lottery by virtue of his Irish passport.

For information about Irish citizenship through descent, have a look through the FAQ: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship_FAQs

In short, if your husband has got a grandparent who was born on the island of Ireland, he can claim Irish citizenship.

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:07 pm

Citizenship is not relevant for eligibility in the DV lottery. The place of birth is the only thing that matters.

pepples22
Newly Registered

Post by pepples22 » Tue May 31, 2011 11:06 pm

Thank you for the replies.

I really wonder what the man from UK was on about.

If anyone can help please do.

Thanks

Marco 72
Diamond Member

Post by Marco 72 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:43 am

Have a look here.

jamhelmcor
- thin ice -
Location: 268 Bush St., San Francisco California United States 94104

Post by jamhelmcor » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:45 am

Most immigration forms come with detailed instructions. It is important to follow the USCIS form’s instructions carefully so that you avoid delay or rejection of your application.