ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying for naturalization, what about council tax

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

boloney

applying for naturalization, what about council tax

Post by boloney » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:43 pm

I`m ready to submit my naturalization application, but I used to live in shared house from september 2004 - december 2007, I have no record if anybody used to pay council tax for this property, will that make any problems?
later on from february 2008 - april 2010 I used to live in the house which was converted into few flats, have contract but never signed it because on first page was that `all bills inclusive` but in terms and conditions says `tenant have to pay all bills (council tax, electicity, water, etc.)` we did`t pay any bills, landlord did pay all of them (water, electicity, etc.) I just worry about council tax, he probably paid it for one house, not for flats, will that make any problems?
I did ask landlord many times to change the contract, he was said `I will make changes` but he did`t, we changed flat, applied for HB (the same council we live in) they have records about previous address, they did`t mention any bill from previous address.
Is there any way I can check it if there is all ok?
thanks for replies.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Did you try to contact the council and ask them?
I would not worry too much. If you weren't listed on the bills, then you would not be listed in any legal process related to it. I would doubt it if the HO will contact the council to ask if there are any debts from the addresses you provide. I also don't think they are doing credit check in a similar way to banks/lenders (in which case, bad credit in your address but not on your name does matter) but I might be wrong here.

khankhattak

Re: applying for naturalization, what about council tax

Post by khankhattak » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:28 am

boloney wrote:I`m ready to submit my naturalization application, but I used to live in shared house from september 2004 - december 2007, I have no record if anybody used to pay council tax for this property, will that make any problems?
later on from february 2008 - april 2010 I used to live in the house which was converted into few flats, have contract but never signed it because on first page was that `all bills inclusive` but in terms and conditions says `tenant have to pay all bills (council tax, electicity, water, etc.)` we did`t pay any bills, landlord did pay all of them (water, electicity, etc.) I just worry about council tax, he probably paid it for one house, not for flats, will that make any problems?
I did ask landlord many times to change the contract, he was said `I will make changes` but he did`t, we changed flat, applied for HB (the same council we live in) they have records about previous address, they did`t mention any bill from previous address.
thanks for replies.
yes jambo is 100% right if the council tax bill is on ur name and any amount u owe from council means u refused to pay then its a matter otherwise no worry u can check 7.9 in the following link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
plz let me know if im saying anything incorrect

boloney

Re: applying for naturalization, what about council tax

Post by boloney » Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:02 am

khankhattak wrote:
boloney wrote:I`m ready to submit my naturalization application, but I used to live in shared house from september 2004 - december 2007, I have no record if anybody used to pay council tax for this property, will that make any problems?
thanks for replies.
yes jambo is 100% right if the council tax bill is on ur name and any amount u owe from council means u refused to pay then its a matter otherwise no worry u can check 7.9 in the following link
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
council never send my any bill on my name, unless they done so after I changed flat, but when I moved to the one I live now I did register with them(I have to pay council tax, what I do).
so hopefully there will be no problems with that.
thanks

allta

Post by allta » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:06 pm

I think there will be problem only if your name appears on the council tax and you default on payments which then lead to the council taking it up to the magistrate for debt recovery.
No man can be an Island of Knowledge, a Tree doesn't make a forest

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:21 pm

allta wrote:I think there will be problem only if your name appears on the council tax and you default on payments which then lead to the council taking it up to the magistrate for debt recovery.
You can ask your previous landlord to confirm in writing that all the affairs are in order?

boloney

Post by boloney » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:38 pm

lionking007 wrote:
allta wrote:I think there will be problem only if your name appears on the council tax and you default on payments which then lead to the council taking it up to the magistrate for debt recovery.
You can ask your previous landlord to confirm in writing that all the affairs are in order?
Not really, he gave me wrong contract to cover himself. There is the reason why I never signed it. He is hard work. If anything bill never came on my name, when I moved to new place, landlady inform council that she is got new tenants, gave them names and we received bill shortly. So hopefully thats all clear.

lionking007

Post by lionking007 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:53 pm

boloney wrote:
lionking007 wrote:
Not really, he gave me wrong contract to cover himself. There is the reason why I never signed it. He is hard work. If anything bill never came on my name, when I moved to new place, landlady inform council that she is got new tenants, gave them names and we received bill shortly. So hopefully thats all clear.
If he has given you the wrong contract, ask him nicely, if he does not sort out the things with council, you will not only write to the council but also to hmrc. Has he been giving you the receipts of the payments???