ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Asylum seekers - a thing of the past

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tvt

Asylum seekers - a thing of the past

Post by tvt » Wed May 03, 2006 11:11 pm

The Home Office is still fighting the war of yesterday. Asylum seeking is passe. This is why the number of asylum seekers has declined to a negligible trickle. Today illegal migration is based on:

1. Illegal migrants board speed boats and arrive late at night in UK disused seaports and beaches when no enforcement is in sight.
2. These migrants don't need to claim asylum as they come with forged EU identity documents. The forged documents are top quality; only experts can tell that they are forged .

3. As long as these migrants don't attempt to leave the UK and re-enter, no one on earth can know that they are illegals. They are treated just like any other EU nationals and able to work and claim benefits without any problem.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tvt

Post by tvt » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:07 pm

Just look at that:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/liv ... _a_source=

Why claim asylum if you could pose as an EU citizen and claim benefits straight away.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

badboyz

Post by badboyz » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:55 am

I tell you if she was a BLACK person she would have been checked out properly now you now what the immigration officers are looking for.

I am here waiting for my spousal application and i know they are checking my police record and all my documents to see if they can spot any fraud, and EU persons with fake passports just walk through with ease.

Why don't the EU share passport numbers with each other ?
They are aware of the problem from 2004 http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4058427.stm

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:01 am

badboyz wrote:I tell you if she was a BLACK person she would have been checked out properly now you now what the immigration officers are looking for.

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did this become a 'dearly beloved' subject!!!!! :cry: :twisted: :shock:

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:07 am

This subject is utterly not meant to be dearly beloved in any way. It just aims to show that whilst the UK targets its legitimate hardworking migrants it ignores the real problem of illegal migration. It also shows that in the UK it is more worthwhile to be an illegal immigrant rather than a legal one.

Legal migrants, who pay their taxes and cannot get any state help, are subject to many restrictions and their rights are being gradually worn out . Illegal migrants are not subject to any restrictions and can claim benefits as they wish.
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:10 am

tvt wrote:This subject is utterly not meant to be dearly beloved in any way. It just aims to show that whilst the UK targets its legitimate hardworking migrants it ignores the real problem of illegal migration. It also shows that in the UK it is more worthwhile to be an illegal immigrant rather than a legal one.

Legal migrants, who pay their taxes and cannot get any state help, are subject to many restrictions and their rights are being gradually worn out . Illegal migrants are not subject to any restrictions and can claim benefits as they wish.
I know what you were getting at tvt, I was referring to the quote in my posting! :D

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:47 pm

AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did this become a 'dearly beloved' subject!!!!!
One cannot have a discussion about immigration control without talking about beloved. The two are intimately linked to one another and anyone who denies this basic fact has got their heads stuck in the sand.

Let me give you some background....

I am a white South African citizen who has ILR in the UK. South African citizens do not currently require a visa to enter the UK for tourism or business purposes. Before I obtained my work permit and eventually my ILR, I used to travel regularly to the UK from South Africa on business and NEVER had any problems getting into the UK as a business visitor. Just a few questions like "How long are you staying?" and "What is the purpose of your trip" and I was on my way.

I personally know 4 black South Africans who have travelled to the UK in exactly the same way that I have and who have been denied entry into the UK despite having everything in order. One regularly reads reports in the South African press about black South Africans being denied entry into the UK on arrival at Heathrow and suffering humiliation and degredation at the hands of UK immigration officials.

But....guess what? I've never heard of a white South African having any problem getting into the UK despite us having the EXACT same passport and rights as our fellow black citizens.

The only difference is the colour of our skin.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:33 pm

that's the fact!

i live in SE london and they are part of my everyday life. colour of skin still makes difference, though govt. makes efforts to avoid beloved.

pumkin wrote: I know what you were getting at tvt, I was referring to the quote in my posting! :D

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:54 pm

Dawie wrote:
AAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How did this become a 'dearly beloved' subject!!!!!
One cannot have a discussion about immigration control without talking about beloved. The two are intimately linked to one another and anyone who denies this basic fact has got their heads stuck in the sand.

Let me give you some background....

I am a white South African citizen who has ILR in the UK. South African citizens do not currently require a visa to enter the UK for tourism or business purposes. Before I obtained my work permit and eventually my ILR, I used to travel regularly to the UK from South Africa on business and NEVER had any problems getting into the UK as a business visitor. Just a few questions like "How long are you staying?" and "What is the purpose of your trip" and I was on my way.

I personally know 4 black South Africans who have travelled to the UK in exactly the same way that I have and who have been denied entry into the UK despite having everything in order. One regularly reads reports in the South African press about black South Africans being denied entry into the UK on arrival at Heathrow and suffering humiliation and degredation at the hands of UK immigration officials.

But....guess what? I've never heard of a white South African having any problem getting into the UK despite us having the EXACT same passport and rights as our fellow black citizens.

The only difference is the colour of our skin.
Guess what! I am a white South African and I have heard of many cases of WHITE south africans being turned back, or interviewed for much longer periods of time than normal! My own cousin was kept for 8 hours of 'interrogation'! and he was on an ancestral visa :wink:

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:00 pm

Well, there's probably a bit of black in your cousin's side of the family. Immigration officers are very good at sniffing these things out....
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:16 pm

Dawie wrote:Well, there's probably a bit of black in your cousin's side of the family. Immigration officers are very good at sniffing these things out....
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Where there is a will there is a way.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:25 pm

While race may or may not play a part the point of this thread was, I think, the changing nature of illegal immigration.

As far as the term "asylum seeker" is concerned - the usage seems to have changed considerably over recent years. While the dictionary definiton seems to have retained its meaning most older members of the Asian community (that I am part of) use it synonymously with "immigrant".

Back on topic, the typical magician's trick is to direct your attention to the screen while he pulls a scarf out of his sleeve. Keep watching the "asylum seeker" headlines. :)
They are treated just like any other EU nationals and able to work and claim benefits without any problem.
Another good reason why ID cards are a bad idea. If an illegal immigrant (including terrorist ones) can get an ID card this easily... what's the ID card scheme protecting us against again?

adindas

Post by adindas » Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:03 pm

This is really unfair to the genuine asylum seekers who have been tortured and threathen to death and have to flee their countries, unfair to taxpayer in the UK. I cannot blame the immigaration officer if they tighthen the procedure making the genuine asylum seeker to be difficult.

Adindas

tvt wrote:Just look at that:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/liv ... _a_source=

Why claim asylum if you could pose as an EU citizen and claim benefits straight away.

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:24 pm

Dawie wrote:Well, there's probably a bit of black in your cousin's side of the family. Immigration officers are very good at sniffing these things out....
And so? What if there is? I certainly see nothing wrong with it. You a dearly beloved Dawie? :D

rooi_ding

Post by rooi_ding » Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:01 pm

Pumkin

You walked straight into that one......

As it would seem there are quite a few South Africans that use this forum, let’s not get into any mud slinging at least not out in the open (possible you two could sort it out through PM’s)

The point being, being refused entry can happen to anyone (but yes there is institutional beloved in this country 3 years in the British reserve forces taught me that)

And back to the point in question we should be distinguishing ourselves against illegal immigrants (asylum seekers being legal) and educate the British public that we are the ones that actually make a valuable contribution to this country. So that we are not lumped into the category that all immigrants are bad.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:24 am

The real issue here is that because of the UK's pathetic immigration controls (in my case I use the word pathetic to emphasise that they are too strict, others might use the word pathetic to emphasise that they are not strict enough) many economic migrants are forced to claim asylum in the UK as the only avenue open to them to gain access to the UK's ecomony, forcing them underground to live the life of an illegal immigrant.

Contrary to popular belief, it is very difficult for even British citizens to claim benefit, let alone illegal immigrants who have no right to claim it. The tabloids will have you believe that every illegal immigrant in Britain is claiming unemployment benefit and living in a council house. This is of course simply not true.

Genuine asylum seekers (and bogus ones too) are forced into the welfare system and allowed to claim certain benefits because the government refuses to allow them to work. Tabloid newspapers then latch onto this and accuse them of being benefit scroungers when in reality it is the British government who forces them into this position. I can assure you that most asylum seekers would rather work an honest days labour than suffer the humilation of going cap in hand to the government.

pumkin

Post by pumkin » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:32 am

Dawie wrote:The real issue here is that because of the UK's pathetic immigration controls (in my case I use the word pathetic to emphasise that they are too strict, others might use the word pathetic to emphasise that they are not strict enough) many economic migrants are forced to claim asylum in the UK as the only avenue open to them to gain access to the UK's ecomony, forcing them underground to live the life of an illegal immigrant.

Contrary to popular belief, it is very difficult for even British citizens to claim benefit, let alone illegal immigrants who have no right to claim it. The tabloids will have you believe that every illegal immigrant in Britain is claiming unemployment benefit and living in a council house. This is of course simply not true.

Genuine asylum seekers (and bogus ones too) are forced into the welfare system and allowed to claim certain benefits because the government refuses to allow them to work. Tabloid newspapers then latch onto this and accuse them of being benefit scroungers when in reality it is the British government who forces them into this position. I can assure you that most asylum seekers would rather work an honest days labour than suffer the humilation of going cap in hand to the government.
I have to agree with you re the illegals etc however, differ with you on British citizens finding it difficult. There are people milking the government and getting fat sums of money. I unintentionally heard a conversation between 2 people with one person asking the other if he has found a job. The person replied that the particular job was only offering £800 a month and that he was getting more than that on benefits.... so no, he would not be accepting it.........:roll:

There are people who go onto benefits, take a job because they have to sign in at Job Centre, stay there a few weeks, leave the job, go back on benefits. Its a full time career for them.