ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Quick check to see if I missed anything please?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Talort
Newly Registered

Quick check to see if I missed anything please?

Post by Talort » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:28 am

Hey guys!

Ok, so I'm a UK citizen by birth and have been living in the UK for the majority of my life. I've been married and subsequently divorced once before, many years ago.

About 2 years ago I met my wife who is in the UK on a student visa doing an MBA. She recently handed in her MBA dissertation, and we got married a few weeks ago in a beautiful church ceremony in Cardiff attended by friends and family from all over the world.

I have a good job with a comfortable income, she has terrific work experience and is highly qualified. We've been living together for around 18 months, had a joint account for about 12 months, and her student visa is set to expire in september-ish.

Obviously we're applying for a spouse visa for her, we have the interview on thursday, everything is above board and documented, just wanted to see if I am missing anything obvious or if anyone can warn of any potential pitfalls.

Documents provided:
- Photos
- Marriage certificate
- Court stamped decree absolute of my previous marriage
- Batchelor's certificate from her degree in english with business studies
- Transcript of her MBA with bound copy of her dissertation in english
- 2 years of my payslips
- Original letter of employment from current job
- Statement of my current employment status by managing director of my company incoming increase in income explanation
- 2 years of bank statements from my personal account
- 2 years of Council tax bills from me showing change of address after I moved in with her
- All bank statements from opening of account of our joint account
- Wedding photos with receipts (number in the thousands! :( ) for dress, engagement ring, wedding rings, reception, church hire, flowers, etc.

I have lots more documentation but I don't want to overload them, am I missing anything obvious?

Also any tips on the sorts of things they ask would be great, we're completely genuine and above board, but having read some horror stories on the internet I'm gearing up in case they get a bit funny with me!

Thanks in advance :)

Talort
Newly Registered

Post by Talort » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:35 am

Oh sorry just to add that my wife is an Indian national. In case that makes any difference :)

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm

It's not an interview. They simply take your money and check your documents...which look fine.

Talort
Newly Registered

Post by Talort » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:13 pm

Casa wrote:It's not an interview. They simply take your money and check your documents...which look fine.
Ah. Ok, do we get a decision there and then or...?

Sorry, am a bit clueless.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:34 pm

For 90% of applications according to UKBA, yes. Although bear in mind that FLR is no longer issued as a visa vignette placed in the passport...it's a separate ID card issued usually within a week or so and sent by post.

Talort
Newly Registered

Post by Talort » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:43 pm

Casa wrote:For 90% of applications according to UKBA, yes. Although bear in mind that FLR is no longer issued as a visa vignette placed in the passport...it's a separate ID card issued usually within a week or so and sent by post.
Thanks for this.

After looking through all the documents we noticed that we have no letter of confirmation from her original university to confirm that the degree was conducted in English. As a result, after some pro bono advice from a lawyer, we decided to delay the application.

She's going to take the 'life in the UK' test next week and we have another appointment scheduled for shortly after that, just to be absolutely on the safe side.

It's kinda ridiculous that they will not accept postgraduate diploma and certificate nor partial transcript from a masters by a UK university as sufficient proof that she can speak english to the required level.

However I wasn't willing to risk £850 of my hard earned money on some chap not letting us make the application, so instead burn £50 for her to take a test later. Ah well.

At least we know that we have absolutely everything else, just a question of evidencing her english ability in document form.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:14 pm

I hope you're still reading this as the Life in the UK test isn't applicable for FLR(M)...that comes later for ILR.
Your wife either needs proof that her Batchelor's degree has been taught in English or a pass certificate for the new A1 English test.
I've just noticed that you mentioned 'masters' degree. This isn't accepted for FLR(M)...only a Batchelor's degree.

Talort
Newly Registered

Post by Talort » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:07 pm

Casa wrote:I hope you're still reading this as the Life in the UK test isn't applicable for FLR(M)...that comes later for ILR.
Your wife either needs proof that her Batchelor's degree has been taught in English or a pass certificate for the new A1 English test.
I've just noticed that you mentioned 'masters' degree. This isn't accepted for FLR(M)...only a Batchelor's degree.
Hmm I'm still reading, but I rang the UKBA and spoke to someone on the phone, asking her to confirm that the life in the UK test was sufficient.

I reminded her that the call is recorded and asked specifically about whether or not it would count as sufficient proof for FLR(M) and was told yes.

I should point out that a Masters taught in a recognised UK university *is* accepted by the UKBA under a recent guidance note as a 'concession' however it is not mentioned on the form yet. (Edit - Here is the guidance note, page 10 http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... icants.pdf )

The issue with her masters degree is that she hasn't yet been given the certificate and therefore we can't use that as evidence.

Now I'm confused though, surely the UKBA telephone staff will be right if they've told me that the life in the UK test is sufficient.... Argh this is silly.

She has a BA in business & english from a college that was taught in thailand and is recognised by NARIC as being equivalent of a UK degree, but she has no letter to prove it was taught in English.

*What now* !?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:45 pm

Sorry, but I can confirm 100% that the Life in the UK test isn't relevant for FLR(M)...only for ILR and British Citizenship. Regrettably, incorrect information is frequently given on the 'advice line'.
The Batchelor's Degree without the letter may be acceptable, but I suggest if you're waiting for the evidence of the Master's degree, you could either delay, or submit the application with the Batchelor Degree by a postal application (not in person at a PEO) and if the case worker requests further confirmation, by this time you should be able to submit the required documents for the MBA. A postal FLR(M) application takes on average 12 weeks to process.
I should mention that unless an application is 100% straightforward it shouldn't be made through a PEO as the checking officers don't have the authority to make a decision on the day and will refer to superiors..which would mean the application would either go into the postal queue (at the premium rate) or be rejected on the day.

Talort
Newly Registered

Post by Talort » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:11 pm

Casa wrote:Sorry, but I can confirm 100% that the Life in the UK test isn't relevant for FLR(M)...only for ILR and British Citizenship. Regrettably, incorrect information is frequently given on the 'advice line'.
The Batchelor's Degree without the letter may be acceptable, but I suggest if you're waiting for the evidence of the Master's degree, you could either delay, or submit the application with the Batchelor Degree by a postal application (not in person at a PEO) and if the case worker requests further confirmation, by this time you should be able to submit the required documents for the MBA. A postal FLR(M) application takes on average 12 weeks to process.
I should mention that unless an application is 100% straightforward it shouldn't be made through a PEO as the checking officers don't have the authority to make a decision on the day and will refer to superiors..which would mean the application would either go into the postal queue (at the premium rate) or be rejected on the day.
Ah well, on the one hand it saves me £50 until she is eligible for the ILR I guess, but on the other, it's a bit frustrating that they give such ropey info on the wretched advice line!

I think the best route for me (your opinion would be greatly valued here) is to print out the guidance note about Masters degrees, highlighting the relevant passage, and just wait for her Masters certificate before going to an 'in person' application.

We really don't want to have to wait the 12 weeks for the postal queue (she has an active job offer in a senior position already, just waiting on the authority to work full time from the UKBA), maybe I can push the university into issuing a certificate a bit more quickly than they originally intended!

Thanks for saving me from getting her to take a pointless exam though, much appreciated!