ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ANY examples of Retention of Residence following divorce?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

ANY examples of Retention of Residence following divorce?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:46 pm

The non-EU family member of an EU citizen can, in theory, retain their right of Residence in Ireland if they:
(1) Have a Residence Card
(2) Have been married at least 3 years, of which 1 year was together in Ireland, before the initiation of divorce

Does anyone know of anyone who has retained their right of residence in this way, and on this basis applied for PR?

I think it is impossible to do this in Ireland. So I suspect there are a grand total of zero people in this situation in Ireland.

But I would enjoy to be proven wrong!

Dublin3232
Newly Registered

Re: ANY examples of Retention of Residence following divorce

Post by Dublin3232 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

before the initiation of divorce

I would like to know what thet means?

Tandor

Re: ANY examples of Retention of Residence following divorce

Post by Tandor » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:46 pm

Dublin3232 wrote:before the initiation of divorce

I would like to know what thet means?
Before they applied for divorce proceedings.

So in this case it means they have to have been, before they applied for a divorce, married for 3 years and 1 of those 3 they must have lived in Ireland.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:31 pm

Yes I have a client who got this (after waiting a long time on appeal). couple separated but no divorce or judicial sep proceedings initiated. Got 5 years tho, not permanent residency.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:12 pm

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:Yes I have a client who got this (after waiting a long time on appeal). couple separated but no divorce or judicial sep proceedings initiated. Got 5 years tho, not permanent residency.
It is interesting that you succeded in winning a Retention of right case without a divorce. According to my understanding their should have been a divorce before the question of retention comes in. Once someone has retained their rights of residence, they will acquire PR. Basically, time spent as family members, and former family member will count towards the 5 years continuous residence for PR.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:42 am

Well you can argue that the Regs/directive do not make sense if the person only retains the rights after divorce and not separation, especially in Ireland where there is such a long waiting period. That would be illogical. Also argue that the constitutional protection of marriage means that a person could not be removed from the State whilst there is a prospect of reconciliation with his or her spouse!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:43 am

ImmigrationLawyer wrote:Well you can argue that the Regs/directive do not make sense if the person only retains the rights after divorce and not separation, especially in Ireland where there is such a long waiting period. That would be illogical. Also argue that the constitutional protection of marriage means that a person could not be removed from the State whilst there is a prospect of reconciliation with his or her spouse
I agree. Another way to think about this is that Article 13 of the Directive was not effectively transposed into national law, since when combined with national law about divorce, it is virtually impossible to be divorced within the 5 years of initial residence.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:55 am

Yes I think that's a good point. I wish I could bring a test case to the High Court on this, let me know if you know anyone who was refused!