ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Very short term work for spouse of EU National

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fff510
Newly Registered

Very short term work for spouse of EU National

Post by fff510 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:03 pm

Long-winded, politically complicated situation... as they all are.

I'm an American, living in Finland with Finnish residence permit, and married to a Finnish national. I spent a month in Ireland last year and made quite a few good friends there.

One has invited me to do some security work with him at summer music festivals, starting a few weeks from now. I'm very interested in coming by, but am I legally allowed to work? It's a maximum of about 7 days total work and pay will be below 1000e.

I searched and found lots of conflicting information. I called the Irish Embassy here but line was busy. E-mail can often be slowly answered.

All help appreciated!

fff510
Newly Registered

Post by fff510 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:24 am

Nobody?

Seems that this should be a straightforward enough question, but answers on net go both ways.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:19 am

Hi fff510,

You'll need a work permit, unless your Finnish spouse is coming with you.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

fff510
Newly Registered

Post by fff510 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Ben, any idea how/where/how long to obtain one? The work is short-term, and I will only be there 2 weeks.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:28 am

fff510 wrote:Thanks Ben, any idea how/where/how long to obtain one? The work is short-term, and I will only be there 2 weeks.
http://www.djei.ie/

Honestly, I very much doubt you'll get a work permit. Can your spouse not come with you, no?

fff510
Newly Registered

Post by fff510 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:47 am

She is just finishing a term at her job here before mid-summer, so no :(

I will try to see if I can dig up a permit from here. But boy, immigration politics make nothing easy. Many thanks.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:55 am

Good luck.

Muttsnuts

Post by Muttsnuts » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:40 pm

fff510 wrote:She is just finishing a term at her job here before mid-summer, so no :(

I will try to see if I can dig up a permit from here. But boy, immigration politics make nothing easy. Many thanks.
THere is no point in even trying for a work permit. You will be refused as you don't meet the criteria. There is no provision for your situation in Irish Law. You could always ask the Minister for Stamp 4 for 3 months over the summer but it will take a year to get a response and it could well be refused.

I can only recommend that you just enter the State (as you are a US Citizen, you do not need a visa) and work for cash on this once off occasion. Or if you have a PPS Number from your previous visit then you can run the wages through that. THis is against the rules but it's a very minor breach and won't earn you a deportation order or anything.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Muttsnuts wrote:I can only recommend that you just enter the State (as you are a US Citizen, you do not need a visa) and work for cash on this once off occasion. Or if you have a PPS Number from your previous visit then you can run the wages through that. THis is against the rules but it's a very minor breach and won't earn you a deportation order or anything.
:shock:

fff510
Newly Registered

Post by fff510 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Muttsnuts, thanks for the advice! I will try to see if I can manage this :)

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:35 am

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

If your wife is traveling with you to another EU member state, including Ireland, then you can legally work from the moment you get off the plane. She does not need to be doing anything specific (such as working) for the first 3months, but you can if you want.