ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DEFACTO VISA & STUDENT FEES

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

LCOREY
Newly Registered

DEFACTO VISA & STUDENT FEES

Post by LCOREY » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm

My boyfriend (Australian) and I (Irish) have started looking into the defacto visa in Ireland. We havent lived together as I started a 2 year masters in Ireland and as he had used his irish working visa, he is now on his UK working visa, so we have to live in seperate countries. We have been together for 2 & a half years and have had holidays together, numerous flights back & forth between the UK & Ireland etc. We can prove the relationship but as we havent lived together, I'm worried that may go against us. Also, he is wanting to go to college here but would have to pay international fees (v.expensive!)..I was told by a friend that if non-EU citizen paid tax for 3 years in the UK & Ireland, you are entitled to EU fee rate? Does anyone know anything about this? From what I have read, it seems that as long as you can prove that your relationship is legitimate & the non-EU person won't be a burden on the state, you should be OK. My boyfriend won't have any job lined up in Ireland, so I'm not sure where that leaves us. Any help would be much appreciated!

Muttsnuts

Re: DEFACTO VISA & STUDENT FEES

Post by Muttsnuts » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:03 am

LCOREY wrote:My boyfriend (Australian) and I (Irish) have started looking into the defacto visa in Ireland. We havent lived together as I started a 2 year masters in Ireland and as he had used his irish working visa, he is now on his UK working visa, so we have to live in seperate countries. We have been together for 2 & a half years and have had holidays together, numerous flights back & forth between the UK & Ireland etc. We can prove the relationship but as we havent lived together, I'm worried that may go against us. Also, he is wanting to go to college here but would have to pay international fees (v.expensive!)..I was told by a friend that if non-EU citizen paid tax for 3 years in the UK & Ireland, you are entitled to EU fee rate? Does anyone know anything about this? From what I have read, it seems that as long as you can prove that your relationship is legitimate & the non-EU person won't be a burden on the state, you should be OK. My boyfriend won't have any job lined up in Ireland, so I'm not sure where that leaves us. Any help would be much appreciated!
You're going ot have a hard time proving the relationship if you have not resided together as the de facto relationship is meant to be akin to a marriage. You'll need to produce LOTS of documentary proof that you have a real and durable relationship.

In relation to fees, if he has resided for 3 years legally in the EU, your boyfriend should be eligible for EU Fees. Any College he goes to will say he is not so entitled so you will have a fight on your hands in this regard most likely as the COllege will definitely want full fees if they can get their hands on them.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Aussies are non visa required, which may make things a little bit easier. You are right, you will have to convince the Dept that he will not be a burden on the State, has good job prosepects etc. Will help that he lived here before as he'll have ppsn and contacts etc. When he arrives you'll have to immediately make app to General Immigration, get proof of address for both of you, prove that you're in a serious relationship, proving all the elements you mentioned. Statements from both of you setting out detailed relationship history, + character and work references, statements from family, friends, members of the community will support. Will come down to the level of proof of the relationship you can show, plus resources - if you have a decent job and money in the bank this will help.

LCOREY
Newly Registered

Post by LCOREY » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for your replies guys, that gives me some insight. I finish my MSc in December so we could potentially live together until his visa runs out (in April) but that means leaving a good job in Ireland, where we are hopefully planning to settle and get the defacto in the first place!

In terms of the student fees, would it matter if he wasn't working the entire 3 years ( more like 2-2.5 years) but did reside for 3 years.

He isn't qualified and thats why he wants to go to college..he just won't have job prospects until he gets his degree! Viscious cycle :(

misslady
Newly Registered

De Facto Documents

Post by misslady » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi All,

Just wanted to know what are the types of documents that you submitted with your application,seeing that you have not lived together...I am in the same position!

Thanks...

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:35 am

As far as I know you don't have to be working for the 3 years, just legally resident, to avail of the cheaper fees. Good luck, feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions.
Re the docs to be submitted - it is really just common sense - anything to prove your relationship history, any thing you can think of - if in doubt, submit it. Your application should be at least an inch thick !

chebas

Post by chebas » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:17 am

is there any site or documentation available to backup the eu fees for non eu people living for 3 years in ireland? tks!

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:20 am

Just the individual sites of the different colleges.