ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

query on applying for UK citizenship for my spouse

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shishir30

query on applying for UK citizenship for my spouse

Post by shishir30 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:18 pm

Hi,

I have a query regarding applying for UK citizenship for my wife along with my UK Citizenship application.

I am now eligible to apply for UK citizenship after spending 6 years in UK (including 1 year on indefinite leave to remain).

My wife came to UK first time in Jun 2007 on HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Program) visa and we were NOT married at that time.

We got married in November 2007 (3.5 years ago) and she continued to be on her own visa (HSMP , now called Tier 1) till now.

She is still on Tier 1 Migrant visa which is due to expire in Jun 2012

I am planning to apply for UK Citizenship soon and just wanted to confirm: -

1) if she can also apply for UK Citizenship along with me?
2) Does she need to give Life in UK test before applying for citizenship now?

Regards,
Shishir Gupta

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: query on applying for UK citizenship for my spouse

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:22 pm

shishir30 wrote:1) if she can also apply for UK Citizenship along with me?
No. She needs indefinite leave to remain before she can apply for British Citizenship.

Backer
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by Backer » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:28 pm

But once she gets ILR she can apply for citiznehip as a spouse of a British citizen (assuming you will become one until then)

shishir30

Post by shishir30 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Hi Greenie,

Thanks for your quick response.

Could I ask you if she can apply for ILR in this case (or after I receive my citizenship).. she hasn't completed her 5 years stay in UK yet.

Thanks,
Shishir.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:32 pm

shishir30 wrote:Hi Greenie,

Thanks for your quick response.

Could I ask you if she can apply for ILR in this case (or after I receive my citizenship).. she hasn't completed her 5 years stay in UK yet.

Thanks,
Shishir.
no. she would either need to switch using form FLR(M) and apply for ILR as the spouse of a settled person/British citizen after two years, or apply for ILR once she has qualifies in her own right under tier 1 etc.

shishir30

Post by shishir30 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks for your response Greenie... really appreciated.

shishir30

Post by shishir30 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:54 pm

another quick question for which I couldn't find answer on the AN guide.... what is the format of taking printout of AN form.. is it one sided printout or both sided printout?

Few applications have specific requirements about 1 sided or 2 sided so I am not sure if any of these will work for AN format?