ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No UK work experience

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

vp77

No UK work experience

Post by vp77 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:03 am

I am in UK on a Tier 1 visa and currently hunting for a job in banking / finance domain. Came here last month from India. I have a question with reference to quoting my work experience in my CV. I have my entire work exp. in India back-office operations of 2 MNC banks. Towards that, should I just mention the name of the company in my CV (since its a global company) and exclude writing the location i.e. Mumbai, India. I somehow have an impression that recruiters here prefer UK experience and might not be interested in candidates with overseas experience. So should I avoid mentioning my job location in the CV to prevent that first view reject basis no UK experience? Pls advise.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:45 pm

That is not a good idea to hide anything on your CV. Employer will ask you in any case in your first interview where the employment was (not a single one of my many, many interviews went by without a discussion of where I was previously employed). By not mentioning the country, whether done intentionally or not, may make the potential employer feel like your are being deceitful - especially if they are under the impression that you had UK experience and get to the first interview and then they realise you don't.

Really, employers who want to be sticky about "UK experience" are not worth the effort. There's no point in expanding your chances by doing this, because they will just reject you after the first interview anyway, wasting everyone's time.

Just be upfront and honest about it all. Rather let them know upfront who they are getting through their door, instead of letting them feel like they've been deceived.

Joy.Please
Newly Registered

Post by Joy.Please » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 am

mulderpf - great advice. Such advice goes beyond the immediate problem and helps even those readers who do not have the same problem.

risingsun
Newly Registered

Post by risingsun » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:45 pm

While talking to a consultant (or in your CV) you can always highlight that although you were physically present in India, the work you did was actually for a UK client (If you have indeed worked for a UK client) and you did work with UK team (If you indeed have done so)

In my opinion, if banks you worked for were UK based banks, the consultant should be OK with you after above explanation.