ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Did anyone get mortgage to buy a house while on Work Permit?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rckybhardwaj

Did anyone get mortgage to buy a house while on Work Permit?

Post by rckybhardwaj » Mon May 15, 2006 10:18 pm

Dear members,
Recently I am trying very hard to get a mortgage to buy a house in UK.
I wanted to know if any of the forum members have got a mortgage while still on a work permit.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Mon May 15, 2006 10:28 pm

yes should be ok I have at least two friends got morgage in WP status.

EJ

Post by EJ » Mon May 15, 2006 10:31 pm

Dear rckybhardwaj,

I managed getting a mortgage when I was on a work permit. This was 3.5 years ago. I was only in the UK for 16 months when I applied for my mortgage. I was helped by St James's Place Bank, a subsidiary of Halifax. They gave me a good deal and I could have gotten a five times mulitple of salary if I had a 10% deposit too.

Don't let snooty IFA's and bank staff put you off inyour search for a mortgage.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Mon May 15, 2006 11:14 pm

Yup I also have two friends who got mortgages on WP's (very recently too) you may have to shop around more than say someone who has ILTR.

nonothing

Post by nonothing » Tue May 16, 2006 12:08 am

i did too, when i was on the 2nd year of my WP. several landers were happy to lend the money to me, and some others were not because i don't have the ILR.

vivekR

mortgage to buy a house while on Work Permit

Post by vivekR » Tue May 16, 2006 1:11 am

Yes, it is possible to get Mortgage on a WP. I got the mortgage for my first property - flat about 2.5 yrs ago which was 100% of original value, then I sold that and bought a new house in london for an amount which is very sbstantial on even the local standards. All while I am om WP, now about 2.5 yrs.

B/Rgds
VR

rckybhardwaj

Post by rckybhardwaj » Tue May 16, 2006 7:16 pm

Thanks very much folks for ur replies.
It has helped me very much, now i know what should i do to process my case.
Thanks a lot mates.

rckybhardwaj

Post by rckybhardwaj » Tue May 16, 2006 7:28 pm

Dear members,
I spoke to my mortgage agent and he wants some sort of document saying that i can get permanent status after my work permit expires.
What type of document I can provide to show that I can be permanent after 5 years. I am here on HSMP visa.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri May 19, 2006 9:54 am

I went directly to Intelligent Finance, who never asked me whether I was a permanent resident or not. I did not use a broker, as I was happy to do the research by myself.

Their rates at the time were not as good, but they did not seem to mind the fact that at the time I did not hold ILR (was on a WP), although I never offered that information, since they never asked... The good news is that there were no tie ins, which meant I could switch as soon (or as late) as I wanted. I did that soon after, and there were no major issues.

A good source of info is the What Mortgage magazine.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Fri May 19, 2006 10:55 am

I got my mortgage after 18 months continuous stay in this country on WP. But i'm paying a higher rate of variable rate, as i don't want to tied-up to any lender. Also i'm only paying interest not against capital

you know what i mean! i'm a WP holder and working in IT industry and who knows about tomorrow