ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Stamp 4 Working Visa: Right to setup limited company

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sonnyhind
Newly Registered

Stamp 4 Working Visa: Right to setup limited company

Post by sonnyhind » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Im on Working Visa stamp 4 and working in Ireland since Nov 2006.
Do I have the right to setup a personal limited company and work as a Self Employed Director?
When my stamp 4 renewal comes up next time, what will I show as 'Letter from Employer' ?

Also, I complete 60 months in Ireland this year. Will they ask for Letter from Employer as well.

I am concerned , if I setup my own limited company , I may contravene the terms of the Working Visa / Stamp 4.

Experts, please advise.

Regards

Aceform
Member of Standing

Re: Stamp 4 Working Visa: Right to setup limited company

Post by Aceform » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:41 pm

sonnyhind wrote:Im on Working Visa stamp 4 and working in Ireland since Nov 2006.
Do I have the right to setup a personal limited company and work as a Self Employed Director?
When my stamp 4 renewal comes up next time, what will I show as 'Letter from Employer' ?

Also, I complete 60 months in Ireland this year. Will they ask for Letter from Employer as well.

I am concerned , if I setup my own limited company , I may contravene the terms of the Working Visa / Stamp 4.

Experts, please advise.

Regards
Hi sonnyhind,

I don't think it is legally possible to set up a own company while on Stamp4.

Here are some details :

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP09000012

Cheers,
Ace

9jeirean

Re: Stamp 4 Working Visa: Right to setup limited company

Post by 9jeirean » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:39 pm

sonnyhind wrote:Im on Working Visa stamp 4 and working in Ireland since Nov 2006.

Experts, please advise.

Regards
Stamp 4-Working Visa/Authorization does not allow you to set up your own bussiness or independent trade . It only allows you to work as as an employee in a specified skill category covered under the scheme. You would still be required to renew your stamp as per previous requirement i.e letter from employer, P60s etc. Seeing as you are coming up to the 5 years mark, you may also want to apply for Long Term Residency (LTR) http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Lo ... _Residency once you complete 5 years (but not before). This will allow you to set up your own bussiness or engage in any kind of trade as you may desire. I understand it is now taking about 6 months to process LTR applications.

Hope this helps
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

villim
Newly Registered

Post by villim » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:39 pm

Your best bet is to call/email them and inquire.

I believe they generally allow it these days. Work Visa is a legacy scheme, and they mostly just let people with them be. I think I remember someone on another forum emailing them about this in the past, and got a reply that it's OK.

Also, once you get to 5 years, the policy on 5 year workers explicitly allows being self-employed & setting up a business.