ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Route steps I need to take?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

EEA Route steps I need to take?

Post by jonathan1989 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 pm

Hello I'm an English citizen and recently married my wife whom is from and living in Pakistan (A Pakistani citizen).
I'm currently looking at the option of moving to another EU country, possibly Spain or Italy in order to work there the 6 months required before bringing my wife back to England.

I hope to fly out to Pakistan (and taking Spain as an example) fly back from Pakistan with my wife and enter Spain.
In order to do that what steps do we need to take?
I read about family permits, is that something that I apply for on her behalf or something she applies for?
Does she have to visit a Spanish embassy in Pakistan before travelling and if so what does she apply for? A Schengen visa? A family permit? Or does she apply once we arrive in Spain?
Lastly once we both arrive what do we have to do from there?

Just to clarify I won't be living in Spain beforehand so I will have no job set up. I'd like to enter Spain together with my wife and then use the 3 months allowed to find and exercise my right to work before eventually returning to England with her.

All help greatly appreciated
All the best, Jonathan :)

Laura721

Re: EEA Route steps I need to take?

Post by Laura721 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:29 pm

jonathan1989 wrote:Hello I'm an English citizen and recently married my wife whom is from and living in Pakistan (A Pakistani citizen).
I'm currently looking at the option of moving to another EU country, possibly Spain or Italy in order to work there the 6 months required before bringing my wife back to England.

I hope to fly out to Pakistan (and taking Spain as an example) fly back from Pakistan with my wife and enter Spain.
In order to do that what steps do we need to take?
I read about family permits, is that something that I apply for on her behalf or something she applies for?
Does she have to visit a Spanish embassy in Pakistan before travelling and if so what does she apply for? A Schengen visa? A family permit? Or does she apply once we arrive in Spain?
Lastly once we both arrive what do we have to do from there?

Just to clarify I won't be living in Spain beforehand so I will have no job set up. I'd like to enter Spain together with my wife and then use the 3 months allowed to find and exercise my right to work before eventually returning to England with her.

All the best, Jonathan :)
Probably not that helpful but I am British and currently working in Spain with my non EU fiance. We are getting married in the Summer and then will apply for the family permit.

You do not HAVE to be working for 6 months, there is no official time limit.

Of course you must remember that Spain is in a difficult place right now and it is quite difficult to find a job, but I do not know your situation - maybe you know somebody. I am a bilingual university graduate and it took me a while.

To come to Spain she will need a Schengen Visa, a family permit is for the UK, not Spain.

Once you are exercising treaty rights in Spain you can apply for the family permit online.

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Very helpful actually, thank you! :)
I lack any qualifications and have little work experience so wherever I go it will be a challenge, Spain was just an example as I know a family there.

So my wife will need to apply for a Schengen visa, is that all? And can it be refused easily?

After that I must find work and after that I must apply for a permit, is that so she can stay beyond the 3 months? Also if a family permit is English what is the Spannish equivelant? And I apply for that online where?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! :)

Laura721

Post by Laura721 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:52 pm

jonathan1989 wrote:Very helpful actually, thank you! :)
I lack any qualifications and have little work experience so wherever I go it will be a challenge, Spain was just an example as I know a family there.

So my wife will need to apply for a Schengen visa, is that all? And can it be refused easily?

After that I must find work and after that I must apply for a permit, is that so she can stay beyond the 3 months? Also if a family permit is English what is the Spannish equivelant? And I apply for that online where?

Sorry for the barrage of questions! :)
You yourself will need to get a Residency Card (it is actually a piece of paper these days) so that you can work in Spain, then get your insurance number etc. You will need a job with a contract, to prove you are working with payslips and tax payments.

I am not really sure how the Schengen visa works, I have never had to apply but I am sure someone here can advise better than me. I suppose she could also apply for a spouse visa once you have your residency card in Spain, from her home country. Probably best though to get a Schengen visa, then when she is in Spain with you, she can apply for residency by being your family member.

It all depends on how much time you will spend in Spain which you are not sure on I suppose. Then you can apply for the family permit (this is a UK issued document, there is no equivalent in Spain) to go to the UK. When you are ready to apply for the family permit this is done here: http://www.visa4uk.fco.gov.uk/ApplyNow.aspx

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:57 pm

Thank you again! :) So my wife arrives in Spain and then we both apply for residency cards or just me? Then once I've worked for the time needed to satisfy I apply for the family permit just before leaving for England, or is that something I should apply for soon after arriving in Spain?
I hope to only stay in Spain as long as necessary to tick all the right boxes.

Laura721

Post by Laura721 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:57 pm

jonathan1989 wrote:Thank you again! :) So my wife arrives in Spain and then we both apply for residency cards or just me? Then once I've worked for the time needed to satisfy I apply for the family permit just before leaving for England, or is that something I should apply for soon after arriving in Spain?
I hope to only stay in Spain as long as necessary to tick all the right boxes.
It is difficult, you just don't know how long for but I would apply once you are settled into a job. I would look into your wife's residence card when you are both here. I wish I was only staying here to tick all the right boxes!! We are getting married here and at it is a very long, complicated and expensive process!

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat May 05, 2012 1:11 am

jonathan1989 wrote:Hello

I ask here as I'm still a little unsure as what exactly must be shown and how to go about applying and have received great help here in the past.

I am a British citizen currently living and working in Germany, I have been here since the end of December and working since the 27.02.2012 and I have a contract which runs out on the 20.07.2012.

My wife a Pakistani citizen entered with me on a Schengen visa and intends to apply for a residency permit (our marriage certificate is currently being verified by the German authorities that may take 2 further months, then she may apply for the permit).

At some point I would like to return to the UK with her under the Surinder Singh ruling. My questions are as follows:

Must she have her residency permit for Germany in order to apply for a residency permit to enter England?
Is it possible to apply for a permit before my contract ends or would my length of work here have been to short?
Must I be in work here in Germany at the time of applying to move back to England with my wife?
What documents must be submitted and how and where would we go about applying?
Would the permit likely to be granted quickly?

Thanks

Jonathan :)
Jambo wrote:
jonathan1989 wrote: Must she have her residency permit for Germany in order to apply for a residency permit to enter England?
No. But she will need to show you lived together and this can be easily proven if she holds a residence permit.
Is it possible to apply for a permit before my contract ends or would my length of work here have been to short?
There isn't a length you need to meet although the unwritten guidelines are 6 months. You can always try. The application is free.
Must I be in work here in Germany at the time of applying to move back to England with my wife?
No but you must show you have worked.
What documents must be submitted and how and where would we go about applying?
Read Can family members of British citizens qualify for an EEA family permit? ('Surinder Singh' cases) and the rest of the guidance on that page.
Would the permit likely to be granted quickly?
Yes. Decision on EEA Family Permit application in Germany normally take less than 15 working days.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

jonathan1989
Newly Registered

Post by jonathan1989 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:33 pm

Hello

I am a British citizen currently living and working in Germany, I have been here since the end of December and working since the 27.02.2012 and I have a contract which runs out on the 20.07.2012.

My wife a Pakistani citizen entered with me on a Schengen visa and intends to apply for a residency permit (our marriage certificate is currently being verified by the German authorities that may take 2 further months, then she may apply for the permit).

At some point I would like to return to the UK with her under the Surinder Singh ruling.

If we apply before she recieves her residency permit what documents could proove that we are living here together? She is registered in the same town as myself, our landlord could possibly write both our names on a rent agreement but I'm not sure how official that would be.

Help much appreciated

Thanks, Jonathan

Ps: Sorry to the mods for the multiple thread I didn't realise the rules.