ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

studying PHD on PSW? is is possle?

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Hassan3034
Newly Registered

studying PHD on PSW? is is possle?

Post by Hassan3034 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 pm

I was granted a PSW visa in october 2010. my PSW visa will be valid until october 2012. Now I have been offered a place in the university of Birmingham to do my PHD and as you know I have a leave till october 2012.
I want to know:
1. whether I could at least do a year of my PHD on my PSW and then switch to a student visa or not?
2. I am leaving the UK for the summer vacation, will my psw get cancelled because I leave the UK for 3 months or nothing would happen to it?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: studying PHD on PSW? is is possle?

Post by Greenie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 am

Hassan3034 wrote:I was granted a PSW visa in october 2010. my PSW visa will be valid until october 2012. Now I have been offered a place in the university of Birmingham to do my PHD and as you know I have a leave till october 2012.
I want to know:
1. whether I could at least do a year of my PHD on my PSW and then switch to a student visa or not?
2. I am leaving the UK for the summer vacation, will my psw get cancelled because I leave the UK for 3 months or nothing would happen to it?
1. Yes
2. No

Be aware of the proposed new rules due to come into force next year regarding the maximum time allowed to be studying in the UK at degree level or above.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... s/sop4.pdf

Hassan3034
Newly Registered

Post by Hassan3034 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:43 am

thanks for your answers.
what I gonna do is to do some months of my phd under my PSW and then I will switch to a student visa. It is because I am going to go back to my homeland and have no time there to waste and stress! on a visa process. However, as I see rules and regulations are getting harder and worse, I will definitely switch into student visa sooon al least after my first semester.
The only issue is that I dont know whether these is any difference between a fresh student visa application and a Switching from psw app to Student or not?