ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Multy-Entry Visa for 20 days! How to count them?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SADEMA
Newly Registered

Schengen Multy-Entry Visa for 20 days! How to count them?

Post by SADEMA » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Hi there! I am Colombian, but live and work in the UK. My permit of stay is a UK work permit. I recently obtained multiple-entry Tourist Schengen visa valid for 20 days until December 2011. The problem is that I am not sure how to calculate the number of days. I am aware that with a multy-entry visa I could enter the Schengen Area as many times as I can, as long as my visa is still valid and I won’t exceed a total of 20 days residing in the member estates.

The thing is that I am not sure how to count a "day" since in some of my trips I am traveling by night when I am crossing the UK border. Also I'm not sure how to interpret a "day" when talking about immigration, is it per night stayed, 24 hours, any day residing in the Schengen Area, etc? Basically this is my itinerary:

1- Coach: London-Amsterdam, Departure July 10th at 22:00, Arrive July 11th at 10:30.
Coach: Amsterdam-London, Departure July 13th at 21:30, Arrive July 14th at 07:45.

2- Flight: London-Frankfurt, Departure July 20th at 06:30, Arrive July 20th at 09:30.
Flight: Frankfurt-London, Departure July 27th at 18:30, Arrive July 27th at 19:30.

3- Flight: London-Gothenburg, Departure July 4th at 06:30, Arrive July 4th at 09:30.
Flight: Gothenburg-London, Departure July 9th at 21:30, Arrive July 9th at 20:30.

On the first trip I would be at the immigration control after midnight, this means that my passport would be stamped dated the 11th. On my return, my passport will be stamped dated on the 14th. So how many days shall I interpret I have used? 3 or 4? How about my trip to Germany? 7 or 8? And Sweden? 5 or 6?

My confusion is on how to count the days. Is it per night I have stayed in the Schengen Community? Or the stamp when I enter would be counted as day 1 and the stamp of departure as the last day?

The reason why I am being so picky about it is because I’ve been refused to enter to the Czech Republic last year because I didn’t have a valid visa. I was not aware that I was only allowed to stay a total of 15 days in the EU with the Schengen Visa I was issued at that time. I thought I could stay 15 days every time I entered the Schengen Area between April and September 2010. So by the time I went to Czech Republic I had already used all the days I was allowed.

The point is that this time I don’t want to make the same mistake, but at the same time use the duration of validity of my Schengen visa wisely. My main concern is how to interpret a day when traveling around Europe. What would be the legal definition of a day in European Immigration Regulation? If there is such?

If I am being pessimistic I would define a day as any day when I would be residing in the Schengen Community according to the date on the stamp, regardless if the time or whether I’m traveling from one place to another or staying overnight.

That would mean that according to my itinerary I would have stayed in Netherlands 4 days, in Germany 8 and in Sweden 6 for a Total of 18 days, having only 2 days left, maybe for a small trip somewhere else. But if the calculation is made by the number of nights stayed, I might have around 5 days left, making a big difference for me, cause then I would be able to stay longer in the Schengen Community and organize 1 or 2 more trips. I would also bring during my journeys evidence of all my travel itinerary to show to the immigration officers in case I need to clarify them anything.

I could also think about applying for a new Schengen visa, but it takes time and money to do that, paperwork, bookings, reservations, etc. Also my UK visa is only valid until December 2011, so I would prefer not to reapply for another Schengen visa and use the one I have the best I can.

Hope you understand my doubts. I have done a lot of research; I have found a lot of interesting information, but not what I am looking for, so if you know the answer to my question or can give me any advice I would appreciate it a lot. If you have any immigration regulation code or article which I could use would be great.

Thanx in advance and hope to get any feedback soon!

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: Schengen Multy-Entry Visa for 20 days! How to count them

Post by 86ti » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:17 pm

SADEMA wrote:So how many days shall I interpret I have used? 3 or 4? How about my trip to Germany? 7 or 8? And Sweden? 5 or 6?
The higher numbers because you will stay on each of them in a Schengen country.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:16 pm

Another way to think about it: If you flew to Amsterdam in the morning, and left after a very nice dinner, you would have been in the Netherlands for under 24 hours but it would count as a "day" for the purpose of being in the Schengen zone.

SADEMA
Newly Registered

Post by SADEMA » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:24 pm

Thanx Directive! yeah u r right, but i already bought the tickets and some friends are relying on me for those dates, so that's not really an option. Also buying a flight ticket to Amsterdam or anywhere with such a short notice will be expensive.

86ti, So in theory if I get a Schengen Visa only for 1 day, does it mean I have to get in and out from the member estates on the same day? that doesn't really make sense to me. I think the person would be allowed to stay 1 night.

When I was applying for my Schenegn Visa, the agent who was receiving my documents explained me that they count the duration of a trip per night stayed. This is not an official interpretation, but could be a guideline.

I know I'm being stubborn, but if someone out there could send me a sign of hope, i would greatly appreciate.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:00 pm

Sorry, but it is not a question of hope or whether it makes sense or not. You simply count calendar days.