ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalizing as British citizen - Impact on wife's ILR appli

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sjain6ue
Newly Registered

Naturalizing as British citizen - Impact on wife's ILR appli

Post by sjain6ue » Mon May 22, 2006 9:27 am

Hi Moderators, first of all thanks a lot for the brilliant work this board is putting up.

I am an Indian National with Indefinite Leave to Remain in UK. I first came to UK in Sept. 2000 on work permit and got my ILR in August 2004 (4 years on work permit).

Meanwhile I got married in India in May 2003 and my wife applied for spouse visa from India and came to UK in June 2003. My WP at that moment was valid till Nov 2003 so she got her visa valid till Nov 2003 which we got extended from PEO Croydon till Sept 2007 once my work permit was extended.

In August 2003 my wife got a job and her employer applied for her WP in May 2004 valid till May 2007 so that she could continue her employment even if I should loose my job (please note I was on WP till Aug 2004).

When I applied for ILR in August 2004 I made a mistake of not applying for my wife's ILR at the same time hence when we tried to apply for my wife's ILR in May 2005 PEO office rather asked her to fill FLR(M) and gave her a 2 year spouse visa. My understanding is that now she can apply for ILR in May 2007 once her 2 year stay in UK is completed.

I am considering applying for Naturalization as British citizen right now. However, having made a mistake in past I do not want to impact my wife's ILR application in 2007. I have just called Home Office and they said my wife's ILR application will not be negatively affected if I change from ILR on Indian Passport to Naturalized British citizen. They said that if I wish I could inform HO about my change from Indian Citizen to British citizen with reference to my wife LLR.

I understand that she will have to prove that we are still staying together as a married couple once she goes for ILR application next year.

However I am once bitten, twice shy and just want to get a view from moderators of this board if my application for Naturalization will have any impact on my wife's ILR application next year?

Also should I inform HO once I have been naturalized as British Citizen?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 22, 2006 10:08 am

I am considering applying for Naturalization as British citizen right now.
And why not, well certainly after you have learned how to spell what you are going to apply for ... Naturalisation !

Presumably you have studied for and passed the Citizenship Test? If not you will need to get that out of the way before you can apply for Naturalisation. (In view of what follows, your wife might like to study and pass that test at the same time as you!)

So you get your Naturalisation. Your wife applies ... using form SET(M) ... for her ILR in the last 28 days of her current spouse visa. Following the granting of that ILR .... giving that she will then be married to a British Citizen ... you! ... it looks like she will be immediately entitled to apply for her own Naturalisation as British.
should I inform HO once I have been naturalized as British Citizen?
Given that they deal with Naturalisation applications ... I think they will know! If you are asking if your wife needs to tell them that she is now married to a British Citizen? No.
John

mik
Newly Registered

Post by mik » Mon May 29, 2006 3:30 pm

naturalization - with a z - is an entry in the Oxford English dictionary . Is that incorrect ? http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/naturalize?view=uk

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon May 29, 2006 3:49 pm

Mik ... hmmm! At look at this this IND webpage will confirm that it is indeed Naturalisation that the person might apply for .... as in, for example :-
These are the waiting times as of end of April.

Naturalisation 5.19 months
And oh, the website you point to is hosted in the US!
John

mik
Newly Registered

Post by mik » Tue May 30, 2006 8:26 am

Yes , i am aware of the naturalization process . Either spelling is correct . Unless of course the the Oxford dictionary is inaccurate .