ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

will I ewer get Irish pasport whith bad character?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

will I ewer get Irish pasport whith bad character?

Post by instant COFEE » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:39 am

Hi guys!
Does it mean if I have bad character(road offence,drunken driving whitout insurance,finally-3years out of road and fine 200 euro)
If I have the oportunity to be an irish citizen ?

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:44 am

first of all , admit to it on the application form. Very common, people don't admit to this past, somehow thinking it won't be checked.

Secondly, wait a few years. Be seen to be of good character ie, join charity groups/volunteers etc, show that your truely integrated into Irish society

Thirdly, stay out of trouble for now on.

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

Post by instant COFEE » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:34 pm

walrusgumble wrote:first of all , admit to it on the application form. Very common, people don't admit to this past, somehow thinking it won't be checked.

Secondly, wait a few years. Be seen to be of good character ie, join charity groups/volunteers etc, show that your truely integrated into Irish society

Thirdly, stay out of trouble for now on.
Thank you for your reply ! I appreciate it very much !

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:36 pm

Yes I would agree. 5 years post the indident, with good character references and work history and I think they might grant naturalisation.

realhope

Post by realhope » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:15 pm

hi everyone
so what determines good character then? what if you have a traffic offence for not obying a trrafic light and you got a fine of 80 euro and got two penalty points on driving licence.
WITH MY BEST WISHES FOR ALL WAITING FOR THE POSTMAN

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:11 pm

realhope wrote:hi everyone
so what determines good character then? what if you have a traffic offence for not obying a trrafic light and you got a fine of 80 euro and got two penalty points on driving licence.
There is very little law on this area. THere is a case in Australia and one in the UK (involving old Harrod's Boy Mohammed Al Fayed who is still not a UK Citizen! Something to do with alledged dealings in the past, and his recent ranting about Princess Di would not have helped, Al had no convictions by the way)

It seems that the Courts were not willing to interfere. I would imagine Shatter would be lenient, provided that you actually tell the truth in the application form.

In the eyes of the Department it means never coming to the adverse attention of the Gardaí and always comply with the law.

It must be proportionate though. So I would say, that it is incorrect to say that if one has been in trouble before, that they will never get citizenship. Its nonsense, especially for minor issues (by the way, to the minister, never hint that Road traffic is minor. It is taken seriously considering its a huge cause of deaths in IReland. Having no tax and insurance is seeing as "depriving" the state of tax etc)

realhope

Post by realhope » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:43 pm

walrusgumble wrote:
There is very little law on this area. THere is a case in Australia and one in the UK (involving old Harrod's Boy Mohammed Al Fayed who is still not a UK Citizen! Something to do with alledged dealings in the past, and his recent ranting about Princess Di would not have helped, Al had no convictions by the way)

It seems that the Courts were not willing to interfere. I would imagine Shatter would be lenient, provided that you actually tell the truth in the application form.

In the eyes of the Department it means never coming to the adverse attention of the Gardaí and always comply with the law.

It must be proportionate though. So I would say, that it is incorrect to say that if one has been in trouble before, that they will never get citizenship. Its nonsense, especially for minor issues (by the way, to the minister, never hint that Road traffic is minor. It is taken seriously considering its a huge cause of deaths in IReland. Having no tax and insurance is seeing as "depriving" the state of tax etc)
thanks walrusgumble. so that means its pure luck at the end of the day.
there is nothing that can change that, is there?
many thanks

Irisheddy

Scale of crime

Post by Irisheddy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:52 pm

I think it depends on the scale of the crime or so called crime.

It is obvious that there is no comparison to crashing a red traffic light and drunken driving. One is minor and the other is very serious because it causes death to innocent people.

I think everybody has probably been guilty of crashing a red traffic light at some point. How many have been guilty of dunken driving even if they managed not to injure, maim or kill?

IQU
Diamond Member

Post by IQU » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:44 pm

if u guliy a serious crime there is no chance for citizenship.but minor offence mean penaly point,seat belt etc etc doj definetly look into your case .how long u been here.how many time u pledge guilty stuff like that.

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

Post by instant COFEE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:47 pm

IQU wrote:if u guliy a serious crime there is no chance for citizenship.but minor offence mean penaly point,seat belt etc etc doj definetly look into your case .how long u been here.how many time u pledge guilty stuff like that.
It hapened once in my life

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

Post by instant COFEE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm

instant COFEE wrote:
IQU wrote:if u guliy a serious crime there is no chance for citizenship.but minor offence mean penaly point,seat belt etc etc doj definetly look into your case .how long u been here.how many time u pledge guilty stuff like that.
It hapened once in my life
sorry I see that question was for someone else

realhope

Post by realhope » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:42 pm

thanks IQU
i got your point. its worrying because of the latest immigrant council of ireland latest report on the issue of people who got refused on the grounds of having a traffic offence

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

Post by instant COFEE » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:06 pm

realhope wrote:
thanks IQU
i got your point. its worrying because of the latest immigrant council of ireland latest report on the issue of people who got refused on the grounds of having a traffic offence
My freand had traffic offence for speed,and finaly he got an irish passport now

realhope

Post by realhope » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:21 am

instant COFEE wrote:
realhope wrote:
thanks IQU
how long did it take him to get approved

instant COFEE
Newly Registered

Post by instant COFEE » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:49 am

realhope wrote:
instant COFEE wrote:
realhope wrote:
thanks IQU
how long did it take him to get approved
2 years

Muttsnuts

Re: will I ewer get Irish pasport whith bad character?

Post by Muttsnuts » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:46 pm

instant COFEE wrote:Hi guys!
Does it mean if I have bad character(road offence,drunken driving whitout insurance,finally-3years out of road and fine 200 euro)
If I have the oportunity to be an irish citizen ?
That's a quite serious offence. I would suggest that you apply for Citizenship 10 years after the conviction and judicially review the refusal if it is refused. Convictions do not get expunged in this jurisdiction as they do in others but it would be reasonable to expect that you shouold not be penalised ten years after the fact.

You should still apply though prior to the 10 years as the new Minister may be more lenient tthan the last one.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:08 am

Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0625/1224299585770.html wrote:“I can assure you that no one is going to be refused because they get a parking ticket,â€