ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can French student marry a Bangladeshi student in UK?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

amac786
Newly Registered

Can French student marry a Bangladeshi student in UK?

Post by amac786 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:37 pm

Hi,

Iv searched and am very confused but can someone please help me.. My friend is a French student studying in the UK and her boyfriend who is a Bangladeshi student also studying in the UK, want to get married. What would the correct procedure for this be? Would they need to apply for the certificate of approval or does she have to do it all through France? Iv had a look on the UKBA website but am confused..

Also if i have posted in the wrong topic area then i do apologise but i thought as they are both students this seemed the better board..

Please help...

Thank you

mharoon22
Newly Registered

Post by mharoon22 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:42 pm

she dont have to go to france you can get a COA and then you can register you marriage here
for coa you have to sned you passport and her passport to home office then they will issue you with the coa once you have it then you can give notice to marry to the registrar

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 pm

CoA has been abolished. There is nothing to stop the couple marrying in the UK, using the procedures that apply to everyone.
John

amac786
Newly Registered

Post by amac786 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Thankyou for that! just a quick follow up question... what will his immigration status after they have registered marriage?

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:00 am

the immigration status will remain the same until he apply as a spouse. Getting married to someone itself does not give automatic right / change of immigration status.

hope this helps.

amac786
Newly Registered

Post by amac786 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 am

Thank you very much! :)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:26 am

the immigration status will remain the same until he apply as a spouse. Getting married to someone itself does not give automatic right / change of immigration status.
That is not correct. As long as the French Citizen spouse is exercising Treaty Rights in the UK, for example as a Student, then her husband has the automatic right to exercise Treaty Rights as well.

The problem is proving the right to exercise those Treaty Rights, so for him it will be a good idea to use form EEA2 following the marriage in order to get a Residence Card. But that Residence Card is merely confirmatory. It only confirms the rights that were acquired automatically from the moment of the marriage.
John

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:53 pm

thats what i meant, only marrying to someone doesn't give any rights, unless you apply in relevant appropriate category.

though I m in no way challenging your knowledge :P :roll:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:57 am

thats what i meant, only marrying to someone doesn't give any rights, unless you apply in relevant appropriate category.
Yes but the Treaty Rights are acquired automatically on marriage, so it is not correct to say "only marrying to someone doesn't give any rights".
John