ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Documents upon arrival: contradictory information. Help!

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gt11
Newly Registered

Documents upon arrival: contradictory information. Help!

Post by gt11 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Dear friends,

I am from India. I have a Tier-1 general visa and I am yet to make my first entry into UK. I am looking for the documents that I might be asked to show to the officer at the time of my entry into UK. Through various forums, I have been getting mutually contradictory information, so I request you to give me the following information based on your first-hand experience of first time entry into UK.

- What I found mentioned somewhere on the official website was that nationals of some countries need to carry X-Ray report etc. with them. But that list did not include India. But still some people tell me that recent X-ray report needs to be carried. Can you please confirm whether this is needed for Indians??? Also, is any letter or certificate from a physician needed? Were you asked to show these documents upon arrival?

- Some people say that the maintenance fund of 2800 GBP should be maintained till the first entry into UK, and that the evidence in the form of bank statement must be carried along at the time of first entry. While other people say that it’s not necessary to maintain the funds after issuance of visa. What was your experience? Were you asked to show evidence of fund maintenance upon arrival?

- UK address: Someone telling me that the officer upon arrival might ask me what would be my address in UK. Did you experience this??

- Do I need to show proof of travel insurance, or proof that I am health insured for the time I will stay in UK?

- Your replies based on your experience would be specially helpful.

Really many thanks!!
Last edited by gt11 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tulipz
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tulipz » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:18 pm

Date landed: sept 2009, Tier1 dependent (travelling alone)

Xray: I didnt carry my xrays. So I was asked to take an xray test in their medical center. It delayed my immigration clearance process by atleast 1hr. So better to carry xray and an xray report.

Maint funds: My husband or I were never asked about this

UK address: Yes, the immigration officer might want to know where you'll be going. I think we need this info on the landing card?? not sure though.

Travel Insurance: I had travel insurance with me. But they didnt ask for it. I dont think I had medical insurance.

rajesh9pl
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by rajesh9pl » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:26 pm

1. You do need chest Xray to support you do not suffer from TB.

2. Maintaining funds is not required. However, you should have appropriate answer to question how will you support yourself. They just want to acertain you have financial means to support yourself.

3. They want to know where you will live. You can say whatever your plans are. They want to acertain you have planned accomdation in UK and you know the address and method (train, tube, taxi or bus etc) to reach there.

4. Not required.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:11 pm

I am not from India, but I have first hand-knowledge as I was in the same situation as you.

1. I am from South Africa and also not listed as a country that needs x-rays and consequently did not carry x-rays with me on arrival. I was therefore "detained" and had my x-rays taken at Heathrow and when I questioned it, the officer said that this is done for ALL people with visas over 6 months. It only took about 20 minutes to do at the airport, so not a disaster if you don't - just saves you some time (and I know that if you arrive at airports without x-ray facilities you are sent to a hospital).
2. Not required - I arrived with almost no money. Maintenance funds used to pay for deposits and flights etc.
3. It's a question on the landing card and gets entered into the immigration system.
4. You will have a hard time finding travel insurance as you are emigrating and not travelling. I looked at this into a lot of details before leaving my country and ended up not taking any. It's not a requirement anyway, but it was supposed to be for my peace of mind.

gt11
Newly Registered

Re: Documents upon arrival: contradictory information. Help!

Post by gt11 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:55 pm

tulipz, rajesh9pl and mulderpf.. Thanks a lot to each of you for your kind help and these vital information. The information about accommodation provided by all of you.. it raises some questions in my mind regarding my case. Can you please be so kind to advice on my below mentioned case?

My initial temporary accommodation after arrival would be a hotel or a hostel, and later I would be searching for a flat on rent (permanent accommodation).

a.) Would the fact that my initial accommodation will be a hotel/hostel be acceptable to the authorites upon my arrival into UK?

b.) Would the fact that my initial accommodation will be temporary be acceptable to the authorites upon my arrival into UK?

c.) Would the fact that I don't know exact number of days I'll be staying in initial temporary accommodation be acceptable to the authorites?

d.) Do I need to show a proof of this first accommodation (I mean, a letter with seal of hotel/hostel) to the authorites upon landing in UK?

e.) I won't be knowing my final permanent address (rented flat) upon arrival. Would this be ok?

f.) After arrival, every time I change my accomodation or city, do I have to inform the authorities about my new address?

Really thanks a lot once again, and best regards.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:58 am

a) Yes.
b) Yes.
c) Yes.
d) No.
e) Yes.
f) No.

You are really worried about this - don't stress. Whether you stay there for a day or a year, it doesn't really matter. I don't think many people enter the UK knowing where they will end up permanently and many people stay in hotels/hostels first. In fact, when I came over 10 years ago, I just wrote down the name and address of a hostel and ended up not staying there.

The address you provide is not used for anything other than maybe if the authorities want to look for you, they have somewhere to start.

Just make sure you know where you will go once you arrive and put that one the landing card.