ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How can I set up a Business in Europe and live there?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AndrewTravel
Newly Registered

How can I set up a Business in Europe and live there?

Post by AndrewTravel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm a Business owner (CEO/Founder) of an Online Company.
About 90% of our Customers/Members are from Europe. (Over 30,000)

The company's Co-Founder, my Business Partner lives in Europe also, along with most of my Staff.

I myself live in Trinidad and Tobago (Caribbean), I would like to move my company over to Europe and I would also like to reside there permanently.

Can anyone give me advice pertaining to my situation?

We need to set-up a Physical office soon as the company is growing rapidly, and it makes most sense if I was to move to Europe where the rest of my Staff and Customers are.

I'd like to know:

1) How can I legally Migrate and live in an European Country?
Romania would be a good first stop for me, because I have many close friends there. (No family)
I may want to live there for a while first, maybe 6-12 months.

2) Would I be allowed to register my Business in Europe?
Our Staff speak different European languages, but we communicate via English which we are all good at. I only speak English myself.
So we are thinking of setting up in an English-Speaking nation like UK.
Is it possible for me to register a Business there with an Office?

So those are my main 2 questions:
How can I get to live in Europe?
And,
Can I set up Business there?

Does being a Business owner have benefits for Migrating?

Most articles I read, they said the possible options for Residence are:

1) Getting Married in the foreign country.
2) Studying for a Degree in the foreign country.
3) Staying on a Work Permit in the foreign country.

What about people who want to do Business in an European Country?
What options do we have?

Thanks!
-Andrew

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:25 pm

I dont know why or how, but this looks very fishy to me :/

Which country in Europe? Each country have their own national Laws. I would suggest Romanian Embassy website, if you want to move there, and see if they have any kind of Business Visa

It seems like to me that you are desperate to get into any European country, by any means, i.e marriage, study or work permit (which some do not allow opening a business), rather then start a 'business'. If you have a 'partner' in business already, who is overseeing things, then why move at all? If you want to just 'get into' Europe, may as well be honest and not sugar coat it with a so called business as an excuse to move. You might get more help that way and advise more tailored to your situation. If you want to study, you need a student visa, if you want to marry someone, you need a fiance or a similar visa. If you want a job, you need a workpermit. None of these gaurantee speedy deliverence of permanent residence. Pick your choices wisely and trust me, its not easy. I am a British Citizen and I am being denied my rights by France, who will not give my husband a visa - which he has a right to, because he is married to me. He is also not European. Considering this - getting EU residence, just cuz you 'want it', is not good enough, especially since those who have a 'right' to it, like my husbabd, cannot easily 'get it'. Good luck. Youll need it.

AndrewTravel
Newly Registered

Post by AndrewTravel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi, thanks for taking your time to reply.

I don't understand why you assume that I am being dishonest with my post.

Sorry, but your post is incredibly disrespectful.
this looks very fishy to me :/

may as well be honest and not sugar coat it with a so called business as an excuse

getting EU residence, just cuz you 'want it'

Good luck. Youll need it.

I already said that I have read the other methods of getting into Europe, of which I am not interested in.

I can already find the advice you quoted in many places online.

All what I wrote here is true, that's why I asked for advice based on my situation.

If you have a 'partner' in business already, who is overseeing things, then why move at all?
I am the CEO of the company and I make the major decisions.
My Co-founder does not have the maturity or skills to manage workers.

I would definitely need to be doing more of the Public speaking and Overseeing, while he is more of a Developer.

I'm surprised of the response I got here on my first post joining this Forum.
Do you think that everyone who posts here is some poor unfortunate person looking to run away to Europe to live a better life?

This is pretty sad...

Regards,
-Andrew

SRAQAI

Post by SRAQAI » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:12 am

Hi, im sorry you feel that way, but thats the impression that I got from your post and im not gonna lie about it. If you are a 'CEO' of a large company, and you want to start a business in Europe, you need to:

1. Decide which country to go to in Europe

2. Apply for a business visa

3. Supply all documentation, investment money evidence, bank statements etc

4. They will process tbe visa for rejection or approval

Thats it. If you want to start a business, then its a no brainer - you need a business visa and you can check the embassy of the country you want to 'get into' in order to know how to apply. No country, as far as I know *guarantees* residency, some might do after spending and trading many years there. If you have lots of money, which sounds like you do - hire an immigration lawyer. The US also sells green cards, but you need at least $500,000 investment ibto the country.

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: How can I set up a Business in Europe and live there?

Post by 86ti » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:35 am

AndrewTravel wrote:So we are thinking of setting up in an English-Speaking nation like UK.
You would probably want to look into either this or this subforum. It may be a good idea to hire good lawyers for both the immigration and the business side (at least in some countries).

AndrewTravel
Newly Registered

Post by AndrewTravel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:47 pm

@ SRAQAI:

Thanks for your more helpful reply.
If you are a 'CEO' of a large company

If you have lots of money, which sounds like you do - hire an immigration lawyer.

Actually my company is not all that large "yet".
30,000 + Members is not that hard to get in the Online world.

Nor do I have a large amount of money at the moment, that's why I ask for advice on these public forums first.
Our company only reached Profitability just 3 months ago.

Nearer to the date when I'm ready to Migrate, I will hire someone to take me through exact procedures.

I'm strongly considering going to Romania first, then possibly moving to UK to set up business. (As I wrote in my first post)

Thanks for outlining the basic steps for me.
I'll research first more about Business Visas

I read an article yesterday, stating that investing $100,000 into an European company can also give you residency there.

http://corpocrat.com/2011/05/06/got-100 ... to-europe/

That was probably the only advice I found for Business owners concerning Migration.
I'll keep this idea in mind, but only as a last resort.

----------------------------------

@ 86ti:

Thanks allot for directing me to the more relevant Forums.

I'll check out the Topics there, and ask my question there again if needed.

Thanks!
-Andrew

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:02 pm

Check out Sweden: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 993#512993
(looks like there are no capital requirements, but taxation is pretty high)

Cyprus might be also an option. (warmer climate, lower taxes, but it has its disadvantages) If you can deposit ~30-50K to a local bank and rent an apartment for a year that can get you a one-year (renewable) "visitor" residence permit (no right to work locally). Then if you like it and can afford to you can set up an "international company", hire yourself as a director etc. (there are capital and salary requirements at around EUR42K+ and EUR1700/p.m. respectively to be met in order to get a work permit).

In any case if you make money online I'd suggest that you do not rush it and accumulate some capital first, that would widen your options. (with $500K you can get a green card to the US even)

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm

AndrewTravel wrote:I read an article yesterday, stating that investing $100,000 into an European company can also give you residency there.

http://corpocrat.com/2011/05/06/got-100 ... to-europe/
Wow, if you have $100K you are considered "wealthy" now? Did global economy go that bad already? :)

mastermind

Re: How can I set up a Business in Europe and live there?

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:10 pm

AndrewTravel wrote:2) Would I be allowed to register my Business in Europe?
Setting up a business (registering a company) is not restricted for foreign nationals in most (all?) European countries.
Getting a work permit for yourself as an employee of that company is completely different story.
Last edited by mastermind on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:25 pm

BTW, consider Georgia. It is an emerging and quickly reforming economy with relatively low taxation and minimized bureaucracy. Some say it will be the next Switzerland or Singapore soon. It's easy to get residence there. For the first year you do not even need a visa: http://www.investingeorgia.org/?80/visa ... _citizens/
World Bank already ranks it as #12 in their "Ease of Doing Business" rankings: http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:58 pm

AndrewTravel
Newly Registered

Post by AndrewTravel » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:13 pm

@ mastermind:

Thanks very much for all the useful information!

So Sweden, Cyprus and Georgia are some good options so far.
I've always kept Sweden as one of my first options in mind, so I may strongly consider setting up business there.

---
Setting up a business (registering a company) is not restricted for foreign nationals in most (all?) European countries.
That's great to know then!
I had no clue about weather it was hard or not for a foreigner to set up business in Europe.

I'll be checking out all your links to help me narrow down my options on which Country I should Migrate to.

---
Wow, if you have $100K you are considered "wealthy" now? Did global economy go that bad already?

Yeah 100K is not allot, but I figure that the Article means:
"If you have $100K to throw away."
Which make a big difference.

Allot of people with $1M won't readily pass on $100K of their savings just to get residence in another country.

Thanks again for all your help!
-Andrew

mastermind

Post by mastermind » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:34 pm

You are welcome.
Here is one more link: http://www.mipex.eu/key-findings
Check out the table there (bottom-right), generally the higher the country is there the more friendlier policies towards foreigners it has.