ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Postal ILR Granted, but ON ISD (Immigration Staus Document)

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

New_ILR
Newly Registered

Postal ILR Granted, but ON ISD (Immigration Staus Document)

Post by New_ILR » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:04 am

Hello All,

Thanks for the everyone for their contribution to this forum.

Today I received documents back and ILR is granted for me, wife and 2 kids. application sent on 14th May.

However, there is an issue - Homeoffice did not put ILR stamp in her passport instead stamped it on A4 paper. They call it as Immigration Status Document.

My wife's Indian passport expired in 2009 and at then we got it renewed. During the renewal Indian embassy stamped the extension on 3rd page of passport (Her original passport was valid for 5 years and therefore as per Indian embassy they renew the same passport by putting rubber stamp on it).

I thought of saving £950 my making postal application, but i must say this is the worthless saving I have ever done and will ever do in my life. Long wait, anxiety and on top it this issue. Had i been in person i would have explained them. So please think carefully before you take any decision (postal / in-person).

Now the questions are -
Can someone tell me if it is valid to travel on the IDC to India? Will indian immigration officers will accept it as valid document?

Can I contact homeoffice and get the passport stamped? (but however it will take long time and family may miss summer vacation this year). so if this doc is valid in India and In Uk then my family can travel this summer and once they are back I will pursue it with the home office.

Any suggestions, guidance will be highly appreaciated.

Kind Regards and Thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:15 pm

why do you need the status document to get into India? you need it to get back into the UK. Your wife needs to carry both documents (her passport and ISD) when travelling outside the UK. The ISD is accepted as valid evidence of the holder's entitlement to be in the UK. You can get the document transferred using form NTL but they can take 14 weeks or more. You have to pay for this so you should try to argue that you shouldn't have to as it's their mistake.

New_ILR
Newly Registered

Post by New_ILR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:11 pm

Hello Greenie,

Thanks for you reply. That means she can travel between UK and India with passport and ISD paper?

She would be doing only 1 trip between now and next year(when we will be applying for British passport), therefore i don't want spend more money for NTL.

I will really appreciate if you can share your understanding with me.

Kind Regards,

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 pm

Was there any covering letter issued with the ISD paper?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

New_ILR
Newly Registered

Post by New_ILR » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:17 pm

Yes,

There was covering letter suggesting to go for NTL. which will cost around £300 again on top of that long wait. Reason given was "passport was not available" whereas passport was there with validity stamped on page-3 (front page shows passport expired in Dec-2008).

Point to note is, i used the same passport in 2009 for Tier-1 renewal. To me it looks like case worker has overlooked the covering note and also missed the renewal stamp on page-3.

we have to go to india only once from now to next july (when i will be due for British passport). if ISD with passport is valid then I wouldn't worry and make india trip.

Please suggest.