ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Conundrum - Any tips will do

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sqizzer
Newly Registered

Conundrum - Any tips will do

Post by sqizzer » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:53 pm

Been reading and using a lot of information off the boards for my HSMP visa attempt, thank you all for sharing. Very much appreciated and a lot of help.

My predicament:

There are a few things that have become murky the deeper I get into this, and I apologise in advance for the whole debacle, but really would appreciate any help (even if it's to say I should rather just go for a different visa)

1. I am a Theatre Stage Manager from South Africa with the qualifications and experience necessary. I am, however, a freelancer which means that I do not fill the "full-time graduate position" requirement. I do know that contract workers and freelancers can qualify for the HSMP visa, but the specifics of how to go about proving work experience is a mystery at the moment.

2. I have been working in Taiwan for the past 2 years (not in my profession), specifically for the purpose of paying off my student loan and debt (car etc.) and to be able to make such a move to England and be financially free for a while and not have to worry about getting employed immediately. That successful - now I'm moving on, but I'm worried that it might have hurt my chances not working in my qualified profession for 2 years - however permanent a position I have kept.

3. Since graduation, my University has changed it's name and logo (South Africa in the process of changing names and so on), and therefor my degree doesn't match up to an existing university. I have been able to get internet printouts of a) The article declaring the future name change with old logo b) The new logo and presenting official change and c) My course detailing everything about studies with full name (as on degree) and new university logo. It took a while but it's good backup information - but do internet printouts (in colour) suffice as proof of such a thing?

4. Being a freelancer, however successful, I have worked with many different companies. I (luckily) have remained in contact with my primary employer, and have been able to contact a secondary employer about my situation. I have also been very (thankfully) organised about keeping every single document together about work for legal purposes (ie. original signed contracts, awards, nominations etc) which my family wil FedEx to me soon. And I have asked the two employers I have been able to contact to write a declaration on company letterhead stating that I have successfully completed every contract I have ever signed with them, as well as reference letters about my working with them. There are odd shows that I will unfortunately not be able to gain that kind of information for (contracts yes - but confirmation no) so I will have gaps in the timeline. ADVICE PLEASE.

5. Tax documents: this one is tricky. Taiwan works on a different year system (ie it's not 2006 here, it's the year 95) and so tax forms and documents are correctly dated Eastern, but with the wrong date Western. I have been able to obtain 3 different internet sources either explaining the fact (fact page about time and dates of the world) and 2 online local newspaper articles explaining the world's confusion about the matter (but basically affirming it to be fact). Again - are internet resources seen as proof, and how much of a problem could this become? And additionally, the fact that the fiscal year ends in February, do I have to supply tax information (addition to it being stated on my payslips) for the past 3 months?

6. Lastly - proof of future salary. Are occupational profiles (written by british firms) from the internet, stating range of typical starting annual salaries accepted along with job postings? The reason I ask is that my profession remains freelance in England, and so I worry that the income details in the job postings might seem too low as they are never annual incomes but rather weekly incomes on contractual basis. Supplying both should give a good idea I think.

Long one I know, thanks again for any tips, help or advice you could give.

Sqizz :wink:

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:39 pm

Man, this is pretty nasty. You would be ok for #6- printouts are fine, but you are right to be cautious about the application. Ive seen plenty of instances on these boards where someone has been incorrectly rejected for some foolish reason, usually because the HSMP workers could not/would not/refused to understand a unique situation. You could try with plenty of backup, or you could wait a little while longer for the new rules to kick in which may make things a little less random than it is now. The folks judging the applications are not likely to be highly skilled and/or highly educated- especially given the situation I encountered with a guy too inept to actually say hello into the phone and sounded like a scared, spotty teenager- and may not take the time to fully understand everything that you need to explain.

Dont worry about having to workin your qualified profession for two years- just A job seems to do it for them. Was it a position that required a graduate degree? Is there anyway you can get a letter from the university on university letterhead regarding the name change?

Thats all Ive got for you on your questions :/