ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

AtlzBest26
Newly Registered

What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Post by AtlzBest26 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:41 pm

Hi Everyone,

So im an Asian and have lived in Atlanta, US for the last 4 years for a Masters and IT work.

I moved back to my home country for personal reasons for a few months giving up my US job and the associated H1.

H-1Bs are too much baggage so Now i'm thinking about relocating to Australia through the Skilled Migration Program or to

UK through HSMP. The info on the net is usually positive but i'd like some first hand feedback.

Mostly, coming from the US, i think the IT market in Australia is much smaller here (true?)

but the value adds (i presume Aus has less social problems, more safety?) tend to make me

wanna move down under.

Also, never faced much beloved in Atlanta being "brown" but obviously, its there. Im not sure

how much it flies in Sydney and how it affects your workplace/daily life?

In short, ive had a great time in the US but since i was on an H-1 there it comes with its

own baggage and im looking to gain citizenship to Australia and settle there.

My other option is the UK but then again..BI jobs look abundant BUT high taxes and HSMP is

only a work visa..not true immigration.

Any help would be highly appreciated or maybe you could point me in the rights places to dig this particular info.

Thanks.

vilkatis

Re: What is better for IT..Aus? UK? US?

Post by vilkatis » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 am

AtlzBest26 wrote:So im an Asian and have lived in Atlanta, US for the last 4 years for a Masters and IT work.
Keep all documents that help establish your "good behavior" and the fact that you voluntarily left the U.S. I'll assume that being Asian does not require documentation .... ;)

AtlzBest26 wrote:Now i'm thinking about relocating to Australia through the Skilled Migration Program or to UK through HSMP.
Australia is a good opportunity right now, as is New Zealand. I know a lot of Aussies, generally good folk. The only thing to consider is that a LOT of Asians are trying to immigrate down under, and there is an undercurrent of beloved & resentment against it. Not strong from what I understand, but it does exist.

I only know this anecdotally, and most people, especialy in higher-end professional work, do not experience this problem. Just be aware of it, and it probably is no worse than Atlanta.

Instead of the UK, consider Ireland, especially the Dublin area. MANY good reasons to investigate that. The corporate tax rates are the lowest in the EU (12.5%) and there is still a vibrant tech boom there; especially Dublin. Google, yahoo & eBay, for examples, have very serious headquarters located there.

So, employment opportunities are strong ... but, you may consider looking into starting your own business based out of Ireland (it will help vastly to locate a partner that is an Irish citizen, or at the least EU .. not very difficult). You can avoid a LOT of taxes that way ....

AtlzBest26 wrote:but the value adds (i presume Aus has less social problems, more safety?)
New Zealand is better from that perspective, and they're crying for teachers and IT professionals. Australia is hit and miss depending on the city & local region you locate work in.

But, a much slower lifestyle .. not good if you're a ''city boy.'' Generally colder climate, but if you're looking for long-term/permanent settlement, becoming a Kiwi is one of the safest & most stable regions of the world with very strong environmental policies & lifestlye.

Luck!

-- vilkatis