ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Prices of utility expenses?

This is an area for the discussion of matters related to issues about moving from one country to another. Examples could be about money transfer, moving and packing, validity of driving licence, etc..

It is not a general non-immigration, free-for-all area.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

shiloberg
Newly Registered

Prices of utility expenses?

Post by shiloberg » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:12 am

Hi,

Besdies paying rent - how much are utilities - electricity, gas, telephone - in general.

Cheers!

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:11 pm

Besides rent you should budget on the following (I'm giving my figures as I know they are reasonable and low):

Council tax: £120 - £140 / month (based on the value of the property)
Water: £28 / month
Electricity: £18 / month
Gas: £20 / month

Telephone depends on whether you go with packages etc, but you can expect to pay about £12 / month.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Yes mulderpf, your numbers are indeed low.

You would need to provide a little bit more information where you want to live, how many, your expectations, i.e. flat/house etc.

BTW, this question should go to the 'Settling in' forum.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:29 pm

Sorry, should have added that this is for two people and we don't use excessive amounts of electricity or gas (water is not metered).

86ti - this isn't even with all the additional discount I can get for dual fuel, direct debits and long term contracts. I'm moving shortly, so it may go down even more. :)